sigma
Members-
Posts
1,681 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sigma
-
-
A robot vac would be my kitty’s nightmare. She’s straight out of the cat flap if anyone gets the vacuum cleaner out. She does like like watching TV though.
-
Web Filtering test plan keyword
sigma replied to Icantthinkofausername's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It might be a good place to start, but it is rather lame and inclined to lull you into a false sense of security. I DO always use it, but look to access other sites - only with the Head's permission - to see if I can get to them as a pupil - particularly anything involving web proxies or one-to-one video chats with strangers, especially the one-to-one chat on Andrew Tate's website (not video, but even so....), which seems to be accessible more often than not. It still irks me no end when I get the pupil searches for Coca Cola tin images and I get a whole load of alcohol blocks because some of the images were returned from sites that also sell alcohol as I still have to confirm they were false positives, and the pupil has done nothing wrong whatsoever. Just to confirm that today's episode WAS NOT Smoothwall related. -
This is what I get in Webadmin: I can see what changes we've made and when SBB make them without asking! From filtering responses from Saferinternet.org who are referenced in KCSIE 2023 with regard to appropriate filtering an monitoring : https://saferinternet.org.uk/guide-and-resource/teachers-and-school-staff/appropriate-filtering-and-monitoring/filtering-provider-responses The SBB latest published response:https://d1xsi6mgo67kia.cloudfront.net/uploads/2020/09/Talk-Straight-Appropriate-Filtering-Provider-Response-2023.pdf This bit: All changes are not fully auditable by all parties. They nearly are but you have to scratch about. Their whole response is quite "creative".
-
Ask for it. If you don't have it, you can't audit changes - which is a requirement of KCSIE 2023. You should also have Category lookup (in Tools) - I had to ask for that.
-
Web Filtering test plan keyword
sigma replied to Icantthinkofausername's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have "years" on you, so, all the regular words. Then ask pupils or staff (as appropriate), what they are aware of by way of the offensive terms currenlty in use. It can be very nuanced and local. There's a - now getting slightly older "County Lines" slang directory here, but I have no feel as to how current or useful it is. https://www.wsc.ac.uk/images/Parents/DEX004c_Slang-Dictionary-A5-Booklet_V4_DIGITAL.pdf https://ivisontrust.org.uk/criminal-exploitation/county-lines-slang/ For words concerned with safety, your safeguarding lead should be able to help. You need to add words that are equivilant to all the languages/dialects that your pupil community would use. Not just "British English". -
There's always the SBB factor. They may have changed something... In the Netsweeper Portal, look in Logs, Webadmin log and sort in date order (newest first) and see if there's any changes other than what you have made.
-
CRB Cunnighams Cashless catering - Facial recognition
sigma replied to Spookyville's topic in Educational Software
A BBC report. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58969136 Report from 2022 focussing on the use of biometric data in UK schools. https://defenddigitalme.org/research/state-biometrics-2022/ -
Par for the course with that supplier it seems. They've broken my ability to do category lookups. I notifed them last week and it's still broken.
-
CRB Cunnighams Cashless catering - Facial recognition
sigma replied to Spookyville's topic in Educational Software
Mainly the idea of normalising facial recognition for children so that they become compliant adults. Also privacy, tracking and being certain where all aspects of the data collected associated with it will end up. -
CRB Cunnighams Cashless catering - Facial recognition
sigma replied to Spookyville's topic in Educational Software
As a parent, I wold be exercising my right to object to this. -
From here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6214622?hl=en You need to apply to additional domains:
-
It would apply to all urls going through that filter regardless of the device type.
-
For Youtube it would need to be a local List because if you have their Global or Master lists applied they have already messed about with YouTube. You have decryption on?
-
Would it be better done in Group Policies? https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-enforce-youtube-restricted-mode-in-chrome
-
I use that technique for enforcing safe search in DuckDuckgo in an SBB config. Which of your lists did you add the entry to? Which of their lists do you use?
-
As far as meat is concerned, I buy it from a local butcher from where it is mostly sourced locally. It cost more per Kg, but there is no waste. A pack of stewing steak is 100% good compared to the supermarket packet where it looks nice on top but is rubbish underneath. Ditto with the greengrocer where the quality and choice are better at lower prices. The supermarket tends to chill produce to within an inch of its life so that it goes to mush a day or so later. The greengrocer, much less so.
-
Same with clothes. My sister who was a buyer, saw cheap label and designer label clothes all made in the same factories in the far east.
-
I went to one in Copenhagen for "breakfast" once....
-
When I was a student, I worked in a biscuit factory in the holidays. As well as a well known brand of digestives, own label "wheatmeal" biscuits also came off the same line, but with a different recipe and different cutters. They were indescriblable delicious when still fresh and warm. There as a gateaux room too....
-
urlscan.io is handy too.
-
Netsweeper false positives on UK Cloud
sigma replied to danrhodes's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I'm glad you raised this. I totally agree. (With my ISP default settings and decryption on, porn would be a blocked wholeword, mis-spellings could still work). My ISP's settings might explain why we don't see the same FP's at the OP. I'm not sure how to tell if my ISP has rDNS switched on or not as I can't see those settings. Back on topic, I can't see, even from the Netsweeper documentation (although I've probably missed something), how this should be set up. There is brief mention of the issue in the online documentation: https://helpdesk.netsweeper.com/docs/Flare/Netsweeper_Documentation/Content/Configuration/RDNS_Filtering/RDNS_Filtering.htm?Highlight=reverse%20ip#Reverse_DNS_with_Many- 3 replies
-
- false positives
- filtering
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Netsweeper false positives on UK Cloud
sigma replied to danrhodes's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have problems with Netsweeper porn FP's, related, but not on that scale. We are on SBB's hosted Netsweeper. SBB have cloudflare.com and cloudfront.net (for example), as allowed domains in a shared list applied to all users for most customers. I've added decrypts for my reporting purposes, and from what I've observed, it seems work correctly, and has not given us any problems. As I understand it(?), and bearing in mind we are apparently not on a current version, Netsweeper "for the most part" categorises domains rather that urls, so that say, a search for a tractor outline drawing categorised this as porn this week: https://www.munichre.com/content/dam/munichre/hsb/hsb-eil/insights/plant-guide/lifting/Plant_Guide_Lifting_Loading_Shovel_with_Back_Actor_068_HSBEIL.png/_jcr_content/renditions/cropped.3_to_1.png./cropped.3_to_1.png (It is an outline drawing of a JCB type digger) but has been categorised this way because porn has been found on the domain previously. We are not totally reliant on Netsweeper as we also have Impero, which is a very different tool but can filter content that is invisible to Netsweeper.- 3 replies
-
- false positives
- filtering
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
