Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

siuko

Members
  • Posts

    787
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by siuko

  1. siuko

    Logoff Button

    We have a shared Dekstop for staff and they have a Logoff button on the desktop (stops us having to explain how to find the logoff on the start bar lol) It's just a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe
  2. Unless I'm missing something on the way it works The only way I can see to do this is Create the channel in Teams (where you can choose the already created Class lists etc - if you have that functionality in AD) and then attach stream videos to that channel
  3. The other thing to check is their ISP - we have had 3 so far that use Vodafone and it seems to have Remote Access blocked or something Whatever we do on these machine they just won't connect (teamviewer worked fine in to a staff machine to check it)
  4. Looks like they are pushing out a patch for cats lol - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-notifies-theaters-cats-is-being-updated-improved-visual-effects-1264689 Not seen that happen very often once it is in the cinemas
  5. Thanks everyone for the help I ended up going with Dropbox and the 'request file' feature
  6. Lol the message I replied to with the above disappeared so it doesn't quite make sense now All of the Zammo posts have gone lol
  7. I just tried uploading to it, using an incognito chrome window, without being logged in and it says I don't have permission
  8. Sadly that isn't correct (even though the share option shows with the words 'does not require sign in' It does still actually require sign in to a google account
  9. Hi A parent has a dashcam video showing dangerous cycling by one of our students (possibly our student anyway) The file is too large to send via email How do you allow large file uploads? (without the other person having to have a microsoft or google account - both require sign in even if it is worded that it doesn't require it lol)
  10. I found that ours would only download the language packs once I enabled the following (I only did this on the local policy using gpedit.msc - but I'm assuming it can be done via GPO) Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair > Enabled > Tick only 'Download repair content and optional features directly from Windows Update instead of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) I'm guessing it struggles if WSUS doesn't have the feature components
  11. It's also worth knowing that you can do a recovery on a chromebook and it will have the latest version of the OS on it As long as they are enrolled they will just pick up the policies again after you re-enroll It isn't the most practical (especially if you have a lot of chromebooks) as you have to manually recover each chromebook - but it only takes about 5 minutes You then have the newest OS version (should provide a little extra longevity)
  12. Toner hasn't been inserted fully is normally the issues with kyocera's printing blank (take out the toner and try again) The printer thinks the toner is in ok but its very slightly off so no toner gets delivered to the paper
  13. Try NTFSFix from wisesoft
  14. If you want to manage the chromebooks with the Google Admin Console you will need the licences I just enable public session via the Google Admin Console Whether you can enable public sessions without it I don't know
  15. We switched to using Public sessions so they don't need to logon to the chromebook (it's a lot faster this way) Once the session has started they are requested to logon to our filtering system for internet access They can then login to o365 if they want access to email/office etc
  16. https://somafm.com/spacestation/
  17. I tried to balance performance with cost (as finance are always on at me about it lol) So went with a refurbished computer from ICT Direct i7, 16gb ram, 240Gb SSD and an NV300 graphics card all for a very reasonable £330 at the time Lovely build and has run faultlessly since I got it in 2016
  18. I just added our repro staff to all the groups
  19. Can you please let me know what you end up going for as it doesn't seem as straight forward as the smoothwall system
  20. Aaahh yeah I checked the website and they are based in cambridge Thanks
  21. Where would we need to collect them from?
  22. I had that issue when setting up the local cache version on PaperCut MF 18.3.2 I don't know if it was due to us preventing access on C drive The fix was as follows Machine based startup script that creates a cache folder on c drive and gives it permissions if exist "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" goto SetPermissions md "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" goto SetPermissions :SetPermissions icacls "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" /inheritance:r /grant:r "Domain Admins":(OI)(CI)(F) icacls "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" /grant "LB ITadmins":(OI)(CI)(F) icacls "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" /grant "*S-1-5-18":(OI)(CI)(F) icacls "C:\PapercutCacheDirectory" /grant "*S-1-1-0":(OI)(CI)(F) :end You probably don't need all the groups to be fair - LB ITadmins is our local admin group (we are part of a mat), *S-1-5-18 is System and *S-1-1-0 is everyone (Everyone full control probably covers it but it works as it is) - PS make sure NOT to have the trailing \ after the folder name Then run the papercut client using a machine policy with user loopback processing and add the following in - User Configuration > Admin Templates > System > Logon > Run these programs at user logon > Enable \\LB-Print\PCClient\win\pc-client-local-cache.exe --silent --noquit --debug --cache c:\PapercutCacheDirectory You probably don't need the --debug but it was handy to check what was happening When it is working correctly you should see the files stored in your PCClient\win folder being copied to the c:\PapercutCacheDirectory folder - ours creates a folder called pc-client.exe-18.3.2.47391
  23. Thanks everyone for the responses I think I should get a reward for the least obvious title and opening post ever lol What I meant to ask was which manufacturer and model do people recommend (with relation to getting a 120Gb or 240Gb one - after peoples replies I definitely think I will go with 240Gb) Pricing from one of my suppliers as an example WD Green 120Gb - £16.40 WD Green 240Gb - £23.64 WD Blue 250Gb - £36.92 Samsung 860 Evo 250Gb - £49.22 Crucial BX500 120Gb - £15.27 Crucial BX500 240Gb - £26.78 Crucial MX500 250GB - £38.29 Do people just go with the cheapest or are the slightly higher priced ones more reliable?
  24. Hi Related to this thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardware/205289-ssd-good-idea-computer-upgrade.html I didn't want to hijack that thread What are peoples recommendations for SSD drives? We always purchased Western Digital HDD's as they always seemed supper reliable - is this the same for their SSDs? Thanks for any help you can provide
  25. All ICT Direct machines Mine HP Z220 SFF Workstation, i7 3770 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD Senior Tech's HP 8300 Elite SFF PC, i7 3770 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD
×
×
  • Create New...