-
Posts
500 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by superfletch
-
Is there a free alternative to Faronics DeepFreeze for Mac?
superfletch replied to Carter's topic in Mac
I've had a good look and I can't find one. If you have a disk imaging program is there a way to schedule it nightly? -
List services / applications using the .net framework.
superfletch replied to superfletch's topic in Windows
Thanks Gurra - that did exactly what I needed. I didn't use the long winded stuff that the chap had posted - just the little command that interfaced with mscoree.dll For anyone else it was - tasklist /fi "modules eq mscoree.dll" -
Hi, Does anyone know of a simple way to list any running programs or services which are using the microsoft .net framework. (V 3.5 with sp1 if it matters). TIA if anyone does.
-
How many people are there? Could you give the company a couple of locked down machines with VPN access to normal (not SLG) SIMS user accounts which let them do what they need? Giving them a couple of preconfigured machines would be a lot cheaper than either SLG or PX. On the other hand if you already have SLG it is probably an easier and better option.
-
Short post this. Multi core CPU's coupled with full SQL. Go for SSD's and as much memory as you can. Personally I think SSD's and memory will make the most difference.
-
New server from 2003 to 2008 questions?
superfletch replied to TechSupp's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
echo what elsiegee40 says - I have 2 schools planning a move to W7 and Server 2008 R2 in the next year and the server 03 print server thing is exactly what I've said to them. I also suggested to one of them that it runs WSUS and to the others (where it is a good spec) that they use it for SIMS -
[sims] SIMS Installer couldn't detect a valid SQL instance [Solved]
superfletch replied to harryeds's topic in MIS Systems
I've installed/moved SIMS a lot recently. I'm pretty sure Matt40k's answer is right. Can you check that the SIMS related instance of SQL has TCP/IP enabled? If not then I apologise. -
I could do with a really good clear and concise explanation of the difference between a roaming and a mandatory profile. I'm sure it is dictated by the ntuser.man/dat files but I don't know the implications or how it all works really. Which is better and why? Also - what is the difference between them in Windows 7? How do you make a shared profile for W7? What else should you redirect / not redirect for a good W7 deployment? Sorry, I guess it's a lot to ask for in 1 post. TIA edugeek.
-
I've just started at a school where I'm pretty sure this is how things are set up. I was wondering like TechSupp whether to clear the local profiles out or not? If I clear them out doesn't it mean that the next time each kid logs on they'll have to wait a while for their profile to build? I don't want to start in school then all of a sudden have them complaining that IT is slow. I understand folder redirection and how it works within a user account, and I get general stuff about what is in a profile etc, however I could do with a really good clear explanation of the difference between a roaming and a mandatory profile, I'm sure it is something to do with the ntuser.man/dat files but I don't know the implications really. I don't mean to hijack the thread so I've made a new one - mandatory or roaming profiles, what's the score??
-
Wasn't his "Mam":D was it? That would be too weird. He looks like a really nice dog - I hope you have great fun together. On the rehoming thing, I think it is really admirable that people do this as all domestic animals deserve a good loving home and I can't understand the mentality of some of the people who treat their Animals badly, and also it is a shame that circumstances sometimes force people to have to part with much loved pets. That said we avoided getting a Dog from the rehoming centre as we didn't feel we would be happy with not knowing the genuine background he came from. If we didn't have a very small child then we would probably have gone for a rehome. Ours is one year old now too - just shy of 6 stone (don't know what that is in kg) and we have had a cracking first year with him, hard work tho. Good luck with him ht.
-
Hey Rawns - we haven't distributed Spring to schools yet. It will happen on Monday probably, but as far as SOLUS 3 is concerned we will probably look to go in and set it up (working alongside the IT team) in a few schools who want it first. Hopefully we'll use a handful of Secondaries and a a few Primaries too and this will allow us to draw up realistic (non test environment) instructions pretty quick for the rest as and when they want it.
-
EduGeek@Microsoft 24th Feb 2011
superfletch replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
I'd be bang up for this one, whack me on the list please. Off the top of my head - live@edu - and whatever is in the pipeline there (overlaps with office 365 though). licensing changes - probably a bit dull Server 08 R2 & Win7 - getting the most out of them. -
I edited that post a couple of times. Funny it looks like you were saying I recommend guessing Siv... I'll admit I was quite surprised to see it required the dedicated GPU, I've heard rumours that it runs on some machines with integrated graphics though. With the way hardware is going I'm sure the onboard graphics will catch up soon enough.
-
Come on guys, lets not say it's delayed already it's so negative. We've known it is coming for a fair while and its now pretty close to release - in my book that means there was a delay quite late in the way up to it's release. The word already implies the delay was really early. Hat's off to Capita for doing the honourable thing and adding it into the core SIMS package and making it possible to install in isolation. You folks get some stick but you definitely got that one spot on. Discover looks really cool from what I've seen on the promo videos. I'd have guessed it uses the dedicated graphics card as its better for parallel processing than a normal CPU? Oh yeah, almost forgot.... No need to download it, just play Classic Lemmings - here
-
That's roughly what I was thinking but I didn't know how to put it into words. If the mighty G&T thought it was a minefield then leave well alone.
-
I expect this is possible using one of the SQL stored procedures like sp_password. However, I don't think sp_password is a routine that Capita would recommend or support if it messed something up. Also with sp_password you'd have to be 100% sure you were getting the right account name and for that you'd probably have to go into the SQL management studio or similar and check the exact format of the account name you are going to reset. By that time you could have gone into system manager and done it. The built in way to do it is there for a reason I guess, although it is a bit cumbersome - hopefully System Manager 7 will make improvements in this area.
-
Not plugged in / switched on is the classic. Theory: Methods of deploying software remotely? Cloning machines. Practical: Wireless switched off on a laptop? Driver issues (ie give them a PC with no sound / network / etc)
-
Have a chat to the data / statistical people at your LA, they'll probably be able to tell you.
-
In Cornwall some places in the Clay District got quite a bit early this morning but I think most places got nothing. My lazy neighbours decided it warranted a day off work - it really didn't. Tonight might be a different story though.
-
Used to get PC Pro monthly, but like someone else said I stopped finding it valuable. Too many of the articles eventually get repeated and there are only so many times I can read through a review of 15 different graphics cards or motherboards before it gets too dull. That said if I was going to buy a one off PC Mag without subscribing PC Pro would be at the top of my list. They also do a weekly podcast you can download for nothing.
-
If the report takes ages to run and ties up someones machine then it may be appropriate to use the Report Scheduler in SIMS. First look at the attached PDF and also look under SIMS Help at "reports, scheuling". Setting_up_the_Report_Scheduler_11982.pdf Having looked at those schedule the Appropriate report from SIMS .net under "Focus | Alerts | Schedule Reports" and target the right user.
-
The main reasons to do this as an LA are to reap the advantages of the economies of scale and ensure the security of the data. The benefits to the LA as follows: Control over when and how upgrades and patches are applied, Ability to optimise hardware as appropriate Certainty over the backup arrangements, Possible to set up increased availability to school staff from home, Ability to charge extra for this service.
-
Nothing to stop you taking a backup of your live database and using it in a secure test environment well away from the real SIMS server though surely?
-
sysman and either password or PASSWORD
