Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TheFopp

Members
  • Posts

    209
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheFopp

  1. I was hoping to win the phone-mistress..... apparently I called to soon
  2. So come on then........ Who is the Dark-Haired Beauty who seems to have been hogging all the camera time?
  3. You're telling me... especially when Virtual PC and VMWare server both refused to read the Vista Business DVD. Had to install XP then upgrade to Vista... even then it would only work if I captured the ISO image for Vista rather than read it off the DVD.... Oh well, at least I now have a way of actually injecting drivers.
  4. Solved it By running the WAIK on a Vista Virtual PC rather than on XP or server 2003.
  5. Now tried to do this on my XP SP3 machine instead of my Server 2003 SP2. Now when I get to the peimg /inf=d:\temp\driver\*.inf /image=d:\Temp\Mount stage, I get the message: Installing INF package: c:\temp\driver\yk51x86.inf quickly followed by PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x800703fb Any other thoughts anyone.... I'm really starting to get cheesed off with this!
  6. Still get the same error I'm afraid..... why can't Microsoft make this a simple thing to do i.e. Open up WDS right-click on image and choose Inject Drivers! Anymore help would be appreciated.
  7. I've hit a snag with injecting network drivers into my XP Deployment image. I've successfully icaptured HP dc5700 and dc5800 desktops (and had to do the shift f10 thing to install vista network drivers to do the capture of the 5800) and the images works fine and can be rolled out OK. Trying to do a HP 6730s laptop today. I've captured the image fine (again having to supply vista drivers prior to the capture so it could talk to the WDS server), but now when trying to deploy its failing to connect to the WDS at the point I should be choosing my image saying that it doesn't have the vista drivers in the PE Image. So on the WDS I've mounted the .wim (exported from the WDS) using ImageX imagex /mountrw d:\Temp\boot.wim 2 d:\Temp\Mount which is fine but when I try to inject the drivers peimg /inf=d:\Temp\Driver\*.inf /image=d:\Temp\Mount I'm getting the error "the image directory specified is not a valid windows pe image" WDS is running on Server 2003 SP2 with WAIK 6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN installed. Any help would appreciated as I could really do with getting this working..... or at least understanding why its not working! Cheers in advance.
  8. The instructions for installing the APS part of RMs KS3 ICT Delivery software show that it can be installed on either Windows or Linux... but they say Red Hat. I'm thinking of installing it on Ubuntu Server 8.10 (as a Virtual Machine). Has anybody got it installed on Ubuntu? Trying it out as a Virtual Machine as I remember when we installed it years ago on Windows we had all sorts of issues and eventually scrapped... the new Head of IT wants to use it though, so I thought I'd make it easier to scrap by using a VM!
  9. With the new Music and Music Technology A/S Levels this year, and new versions of other exams coming next year, how are you planning on making sure that the students can only do their coursework in the allotted supervised hours? They can't work on their coursework outside their allotted hours so we don't want them to be able to save their work to their own USB sticks/Network drive etc. We are thinking of making a very locked down user logon, which the member of staff will log on to all the PCs in the classroom. It will have no access to any network storage. No access to their School email. Then give each student will be handed a USB stick from their teacher at the begginning of the lesson on which they can save their work. It must then be handed back to that teacher at the end of the class. Ideally no access to the internet (so they can't get to personal emails Hotmail etc to store the file).... but I would think they will need access to so that they can do some of their work. What ideas have you guys come up with so far to solve this dilemma?
  10. Ahhhh... hadn't thought of that! Brilliant stuff. Cheers.
  11. Interesting... in the past I've found that trying to re-install an MSI over the same program already installed causes it to try to install everytime the PC is booted up. It usually goes through the Installing Software bit a lot faster than it would if it was installing it properly, but I presume it must fail as it retries each time...... ... however this has been when I've already had the software manually installed. It may be different if the software was originally installed via GPO in the first place.
  12. Seems like a good idea... but... As a boarding school many students have their own laptops. As the MSI share has to be Read enabled to Everybody so that PCs on our domain can get install the MSIs before anyone logs on. Therefore if a student uses his own laptop what is to stop them browsing the network on that laptop (not logged on to our domain) to find the share which will let them get access to the files as they won't be logged in as Students to be denied access, and would just come under the 'Everybody' permissions and be able to Read the files.
  13. Just in the process of locking down our servers a bit more and noticed that the share on which our MSI Packages for deployment via GPO isn't hidden (... no $ after the share name). Would like to change the share from \\server\MSIPackages to \\server\MSIPackages$ . Is there anyway of doing this without having to remake all the GPOs and therefore forcing the system to all PCs to uninstall and then reinstall the MSI'd software? Obviously we don't want out students to be able to browse to the share from their own PCs and start installing software that they aren't licenced for. Am I correct in thinking that access permissions for this share need to be set at Everyone to Read so that the networked PCs can read the MSI Packages and install them before anyone is logged on? What are the permissions on your shares for your MSI deployments? Cheers in advance Adrian
  14. TheFopp

    Cubase 4

    Strange. We have Cubase SX3 on about 15 PCs (and VST before that). All installed using admin rights, obviously, but can happily be run from student accounts without any issues from the Syncrosoft Dongle. What restrictions have you got in place on your student accounts... perhaps one of them is causing a problem.
  15. I'll put a vote in for YaBB. I've used it on several sites without problem.
  16. Net2 from Paxton here for us. Only got a turnstile and a car barrier on it at the moment, but has been working pretty much flawlessly for us for 4 or 5 years.
  17. Why is deploying via AD/GPO not an option? It works a treat for Autograph here.
  18. Has anybody else had the Folder Redirection problem with SP3? I've gone back to installing SP2 and pushing through the 114 updates as that way I can at least guarentee that users will be able to see their own redirected Desktop and My Documents when they first log on to a new PC.
  19. Tried printing to another printer and it just prints one copy. Tried printing to Microsoft Office Document Image file and it just prints one copy. Couldn't find sheet.xlt, but renamed the other 5 .xlt files I found. Still printed 2 copies to the Laserjet 2420 No macros in the spreadsheets... this happening to all old files as well as newly created files. But everything other program on the PC (Word, Acrobat etc) is printing just one copy of there files to this printer correctly. Wierd
  20. Got an odd one here. Our Bursar's PA's computer is printing all Excel 2003 documents twice for no obvious reason. It's not happening from Word or Acrobat Reader or any other program, just Excel. All printer settings are set at 1 copy..... Any thoughts as I'm baffled?!
  21. Has anyone had difficulty downloading the June or May release of SIMS via SOLUS? We are getting The downloaded file SIMSApplicationSetup 1.566.13.0 to 1.568.10.0 Upgrade.EXE has failed its digital signature check. SOLUS will not continue to download new files from this web site. Please contact your technical support provider. about a quarter of the way through the download each time, and have been trying it on and off for a couple of weeks now.
  22. Which version of IE is on the TS? If it is IE7, have you downloaded the IE7 ADM file into Group Policy as the standard GP in Server 2003 that controls Internet Explorer doesn't work with IE7.
  23. Another happy BE customer here. Been getting 14Mb/s for the last 8 months.
  24. Absolutely agree. If the can't be bothered to save work and log off, then its their own problem. Surely ICT lessons teach them that this is best practice for keeping work safe and secure. For the sake of 20 seconds to log off and 20 to log on, it seems like you're creating a lot of work for yourself over nothing.
  25. Tell me about it. My School is a boarding school in the city centre. Manchester Council being the idiots that they are decided to put one of the fanzones by our school, with the school being one of the 'fences' in effect. Unfortunately I'm also involved with the Boarding side of the school and we spent an evening removing trespassing Rangers fans who were trying to bypass the council security to get to the screens. We'd already had to send the day pupils home by 2pm as Manchester was at a standstill and the fans were already gathering and had ended up locking our kids in from 3.30pm! Who in their right mind opens beer tents at 11am next to a school and then invites many thousands of so called football fans to go there. Looking out into the streets this morning reminds me of the carnage that happened when the IRA hit Manc. There was no chance to talk through plans with the council, they just told us it was happening and we didn't get full details of their plans until Monday. We had a policeman in school this morning to give a talk. He said that police were just totally outnumbered last night, and the council had ignored every recommendation they had given. The whole situation was disgusting.
×
×
  • Create New...