liveman2
Members-
Posts
105 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by liveman2
-
What are peoples thoughts on Windows 8.1? I like the sound of some of the new enterprise features such as Workplace Join and Windows to GO (which might be good for mac users instead of installing Windows) Is anyone testing/planning to deploy it?
-
I don't really know if you can install this into schools yet, but what about looking into eduroam?
-
Hi, We have an motd script which I believe is a simple Windows Forms GUI (loads on user start-up). It displays free-space on all mounted volumes and any maintenance which is being performed on our systems (we have about 24,000 users). I want to update this as it's quite old, and was initially made in the Windows 2000 era. It doesn't look very modern and with XP, 7, and now 8 I thought it could use an update. I want to know if it is possible to make a Live-Tile which would load the App in Windows 8 (if a user clicks on it), however would also display a percentage of free space on the users home drive? Is this possible? Thanks, Simon
-
We would like to install O365 University Edition on laptops for a specific set of students who receive a free laptop. The students will then activate the software using a key-card which we provide. The idea is to simply pre-install o365 University Edition for them to make it easier but then they will activate it. Any ideas about how we can do this? I am failing to find a 30-day installer of o365 University Edition.
-
The University of Kent seeks to appoint an IT Security Officer. The post holder will lead on the University’s IT security management, liaising closely with Information Services management and other senior officers of the University to develop, effectively deploy and maintain Information Security policies, governance and practices. The post holder will be a key advocate for Information Security, and support the University in developing its business processes and importantly assisting in grant and other funding applications on matters of information security. The role will also require considerable technical knowledge and skill to define and work with operations and development teams to ensure secure methods of work and procedures covering the full IT stack, and to deploy IT security tools and devices, from low level network monitoring to high level applications. The role also has a significant part in the IT business continuity and assurance process. Joining a team of talented and enthusiastic people, you will have a sound understanding of IT Security issues within a complex and devolved IT environment, such as in HE, with up-to-date and in-depth knowledge of security issues, threats and attack modes. You will have experience of applying information security knowledge to real world problems both technical and human, with a good understanding of network protocols (IPv4, and ideally also IPv6). Experience of implementing strategies, policies and plans is crucial to the success of this role, given the wide breadth of security requirements within the University. Liaison is also a key skill, including the use of persuasion and advocacy. The ability to gain the trust and support of senior and non-IT people in the promotion of information security is a key skill required for this post in order to meet the challenge of this new role and work with Information Services as we grow our organisational capability to meet our strategic objectives. Closing date for applications: 02 May 2013 Interviews are to be held: 21 and/or 22 May 2013 Apply: Job vacancies - Job vacancies - University of Kent
-
Joining a domain over the Internet?
liveman2 replied to Graeme1978's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
You can logon to the VPN in Windows 7 (before user logon) Connect to Windows VPN at Logon | LAN-Tech Network Management -
SImple question, vote and tell me why...
-
HP's seem to be running well on our campus (standard desktops), we have upgraded from old XP Viglens (which had a horrible power supply issue).
-
Hi, The app works it was a costly £5 or so rom the iTunes App store and seems to download emails via OWA. Activesync is currently used by the main email system and we do use it, however this was for Shared (Corporate Mailboxes). May be worth giving the app a try if anyone is in the same position as us. We are hoping that Apple will release an update to iOS in the near future to address this issue.
-
For reference, we have found this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/omp-outlook-webmail-for-ios/id434458848?mt=8 which seems to work. If anyone has any other ideas though I would be interested to know.
-
Hi, We have had a lot of people asking for access to corporate mailboxes using iOS devices. The problem is that we do not give out passwords as we have thousands of users and cannot provide the passwords as people leave and join the organisation all the time, we use AD groups to control access to these resources. My question is, has anyone found any apps/ways around this? I am yet to find a corporate email app which doesn't require some kind of server-side install, this isn't really an option for us. Any solutions/apps/ideas appreciated. Thanks
-
Why not just Virtualise everything ?
-
The network cable problem was fixed as I recall in a Windows Update many years ago.
-
Hi, I have a few questions: - What is the salary? - Are the contracts open ended? - Where is the location in London? Cheers.
-
Hi, a great alternative is ProgramKiller, that is if you don't want the hassle of changing every single installation on your network. It's a free download from: Cool Solutions: Program Killer . I would use this tool if you don't want to use software restriction policies or applocker. The tray icon can be hidden and configuration can be loaded from a network share, as configuration is stored in a text and batch file it's easy to update. the only problem is that the program can be circumvented if a user re-names an executable. I would say this program is useful for blocking Windows built in applications such as Games.
-
All the machines are in different buildings with seperate internet connections. Is Direct Access hard to setup? also what would happen if the machine was to fail?
-
Hi SYNACK, basically the answer to your first question is yes all the machines are spread around the place and not in the same building. I like the idea of cached logins but I don't like the limit of 50 although I can understand why this upper limit is in place. I am trying to create a rather ad-hoc network, that is machines are updated between 10:00-22:00 and the domain controller would generally be switched off after these hours, the reason for this (it might sound crazy) is to save electricity as it's only a small network with about 10-20 devices connected. Initially the Domain Controller was just to update some software/provide group policies.
-
I have created a Windows Server R2 Domain with Windows 7 Clients Authenticating over Hamachi. This is fine and everything is working well apart from the fact that if I deploy machine policies such as software installation they won't run as the machines cannot access the main network until Hamachi has loaded. Is there a better way to implement this? I am currently just testing functionality, I will mostly use just WSUS and Group Policy and ocasionally a software policy. The most important thing here is that accounts used are local. The only domain account I am using is the Admin account for updating settings etc on the clients, this is because the machines must remain accessible to users if the domain controller is not switched on. Each computer has one main user.
