Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dgsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,403
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dgsmith

  1. The form I am seeing requires bank account details to be inputted, in order for cash to be deposited. When you say in the past, was this a while ago (maybe before they tried to enforce bank transfer only)?
  2. We've bought a HP CP2025n printer mainly because of the cashback available on it. Some suppliers have told me that in exceptional circumstances, HP have issues cheques to schools where a bank account isn't available or where supplying bank account details is very difficult. I have emailed HP promotions but their response was very generic about not issuing cheques etc but it came from an office in Germany so I don't fancy following that up by a phonecall. Have any schools here managed to get cheques issued from HP when buying cashback products? In this instance it's just 1 printer but we may be buying more within the next 4-5 weeks and don't fancy having to have a nightmare job to get the cashback!
  3. Well mine gets username AND computer name, which in turn works out what department the computer is associated with and changes the text and logo picture to something more appropriate for that department; does that mean I am ahead now? On a more serious note, I agree with webman that it's about sharing ideas and approaches (although I am going to steal webman's idea of having a live search box for internal phone numbers)!
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8
  5. As a matter of curiosity, is this the same stock Misco are doing? It seems that Misco's refurbished desktops are exactly the same in spec and price (to the penny)? Not that it's a problem, i'm just sure I have seen these exact ones!
  6. It just uses CSS to position divx boxes on the page. I think I may have based it around a template from oswd.org but it has been heavily modified since then.
  7. This is the one I did about 18 months ago. It had a facelift about 2 months ago when someone on here posted their icons for Moodle and I utilised these for our intranet icons too. The top banner text is editable via a very basic, but restricted popup window which uses PHP to save them to MYSQL and this keeps a record of every change made and when. We have the option of blue background (ok), yellow (some problems), red (serious problems). I posted an example of a yellow (small) problem on the internet access bar, which I just did quickly to show how it works. The whole top part is very reliant on php/mysql which means we don't need to ever edit the code to make message changes, although it still is all done manually and not automated. Separately, the google search bar has multiple search engine choices and for added effect the picture changes when someone selects a different search engine.
  8. Based on the average SA cost of £26 per computer and £33 per FTE, that would equal 135x£26=£3510 for SA and 85x£33=£2805 for the OVS-ES on standard desktop pack, so a saving of a few hundred unless I am overlooking something?
  9. I see no problem at all giving prices (although not necessarily providing company with it) - it allows everyone else to know whether they are getting a good deal and certainly suppliers will know what they're up against. As I have said on another thread, I think £32-£35 per FTE is pretty much the pricing range for the standard Desktop pack (not enterprise).
  10. Best price so far: £33.66/FTE on an FTE count of 75. I have seen a few get it slightly cheaper (around £32.80) so I am continuing to gather quotes.
  11. Wow.. we're in the same boat crc-ict. Just bear in mind that if they are OEM licenced then technically the licence is attached to the original hardware and shouldn't be carried across when making major changes (such as to the motherboard). We still have too many P4s still in usage and our newest computers we're getting are actually refurbished HPs! Have you got a home for the core 2 processors, as we are now resorting to ebay to source cheap Pentium Dual-Cores to stick in compatible motherboards with Pentium Ds. I wish we could afford even 1 computer of Core i3 or better :/
  12. Noone knows anything about doing this? I'd have thought it be a fairly common procedure!
  13. We stopped using lasertech when their compats were almost as expensive as the OEM cartridges from my cheapest suppliers. In fact, lasertech had the most expensive compatible cartridges when we last used them 2yrs ago! One thing I will say was the service from our local guy was A+ and couldn't fault him, but the prices just weren't up to scratch. Does the OP want compatible or OEM suppliers?
  14. Right, need to know the quickest way to add our students group into the message receive restrictions for all students. We need to stop students emailing eachother (but still allow sending/receiving from staff) and the only way I can see of doing it is by changing the permissions to allow receiving emails "from all except ". We have Exchange 2003 on Windows server 2003. We've looked at banning student<>student emailing before but because our version of Exchange is only 2k3 it didn't make it easy. The only way I can see of doing what I suggested above is going through each user individually and changing this permission - is there a quicker way of doing it (script or global config)? For reference, the area I am referring to is in this picture - "from everyone except "
  15. I thought this was just for the USA and that the UK or Europe(?) one was just an employee who works over 200hrs/year and has regular access to a PC? I wish we did use the American formula as it would mean our calculated FTE could to be a fair bit lower! [edit]localz beat me to it [/edit]
  16. dgsmith

    New Printer

    A bit off topic, but how have you found the CP2025 printers? I am looking to buy a few of these for here and was wondering what people think of them. It concerns me if you're saying it needs replacing when they haven't been out that long! We have a CP3525n and that is fantastic, and reasonable yields on cartridges too (it's the next one up to the CP2025).
  17. But does it track actual computer logins indepentant to whether they actually use/login to HAP or not? If the former, it'd be very useful and be a great addition (although nothing to do with HAP mind), though if it only tracks HAP activity internally, then I can't see a use for this.. :/ A student could login to someone else's account through HAP as easily as they could on an actual computer. Maybe I am overlooking something, though what are the benefits of knowing who is using HAP internally and during school hours? I'm not being critical, I just can't think of a reason.. The extent of our usage of HAP internally since we installed it is to show the kids how to use it from home, as opposed to encouraging usage within school. On a side note, should HAP work with Windows/Firefox and Apple/Safari? Some kids have had problems with these combinations.
  18. This is still tracking internally though right? I don't see any need to track logins/usage internally.. it would be be logging in externally and tracking that which i'd be more keen to know.
  19. Windows 7 is certainly far better on CC4 than XP - we skipped Vista so can't comment there. We only run Windows 7 on machines equal to or better than Core 2 and 2GB ram, as when we tried on some P4/512mb it didn't exactly show the desired results (worse than XP by a mile). I'd say our XP/7 ratio is now 70/30. We were a CC3>CC4 school as soon as CC4 came out so have been there, done that and got t-shirt with everything else on top! Windows 7 isn't without its flaws though on CC4 and some strange behaviour is being observed which is somewhat concerning.
  20. We're looking at about £2500 for 75 FTE if that helps..
  21. Bummer, so there is no way at all to get supplies status when using external printer server? Would something like papercut or jetadmin pick this up or is it just impossible for the printer so send this info with external jetdirect via USB?
  22. Someone must have used/be using external jetdirects!
  23. We're pondering buying a bunch of HP CP2025 colour laser printers although as money is tight, it seems to be alot cheaper to buy the non-network (base) models then additionally buy external jetdirect boxes from ebay cheaply. Normally we'd use 620n cards but these printers don't have EIO slots. What I want to know is how reliable these external jetdirect boxes are and whether we can connect to the printers and get the same graphical interface/level of information you get with an internal card/ethernet? We find it very useful to be able to connect to printers to get toner levels, status messages though I am not sure if the external jetdirect cards via USB can extract/show this info from the printers?
  24. We start Yr7 on 50MB and work up each year in increments of 50MB (so yr8 get 100MB, yr11 get 250MB). Staff start on 1GB and we're flexible as long as any requests made are justified. Unlike student accounts where we feel justified to check what they have saved if they request more, we respect staff privacy so just trust them generally and this works well.
  25. Only joined today, only 1 post - anyone would think you work for MCS..
×
×
  • Create New...