-
Posts
1,403 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by dgsmith
-
If you could Vicki please Not really looking to spend too much on this though (ideally didn't want to spend anything). The printer doesn't owe us anything!
-
Thanks for taking the effort gl3nnym... hard to see the thinner piece though. The big bit on top seems to have clips and our's clips in and out so seems quite simple to clip it out. It's be great if we could see underneath the big black bit to see exactly where the smaller piece goes!
-
Still happens with less than 10 sheets in the tray. It doesn't happen "every" time but 4/5 it does. How would one go about doing something with this roller?
-
Ok, maybe i'm not being very clear. I've taken some pics of the tray at the moment. The thin black plastic thing is what has come out and we don't know where about it goes back in. The big plastic thing obviously goes next to or over it, however it's obvious how that bit fits in so that isn't the concern. Hope the pics make it easier to see, and maybe someone could look for us on their own lower tray and see where that thin black piece goes! TIA.
-
The paper in the tray would go through our 2600n printers ok (and the others for that matter) - normally when I see a jam it's just sticking at the top and you can pull it through/out but this is wrapping around the roller at the top. Not sure about replacing the fuser in this though - not something i've tried in these printers before!
-
Sorry, it's the actual tray itself that pulls out, as opposed to the chassis that the tray is housed in.
-
One of our delightful children has decided to be a little heavy handed on the tray and broken the black plastic thing where the paper is taken out and into the printer. Is it possible someone could post a picture of their own so we can see what it is supposed to look like and hopefully try and glue the plastic back on? This is a lower additional tray and not the standard one that comes with the printer, which appears to be different! There are 2 plastic black bits - one biggish one which is obvious where it goes and a thinner black piece which isn't so obvious!
-
Got a problem with a HP 2605dn jamming just as it is coming out into the output bin. It's wrapping itself around the roller at the very top when it can't get out causing a massive issue to remove it each time. Any paper which does manage to get out ok has a crease down the page where I assume the roller is struggling to pass it through. The paper is entering and passing through the toners absolutely fine. Not printing duplex when this happens. Is there an easy fix for this or is it replacement part/printer scrap yard?
-
We have a mixture of HP 2600n, Brother HL-4040 and Konica Minolta 5430/5650 printers for colour lasers. The Konica ones are BY FAR the superior image quality, the fastest on speed and the most hard wearing. Only thing going with LnL is that you enter a contract to only buy toners from them. This is ok if you only buy OEMs as they have some very good pricing for their contract hire printers, however I am starting to see compatibbles even for these new models now (5650EN) that are around only £50 each per 12k yield high-cap! Generally though the subject of "good colour lasers" has been discussed "to death" on the forums, and I tend to see the HP 4600/4650 colour laser printer appearing all the time; although a rather old model, it's a solid workhorse with compatibles that make it very cheap to run.
-
So you're saying it's ok as long as it is just a photo with no related text? Where specifically on the site can I find this info in-depth to give to our head?
-
Does anyone know the current legalities surrounding student photos on our school website? Can there be no photo of any student at all on our website without prior parental permission, or is it ok so long as the names aren't disclosed? If there is some literature somewhere that'd be even better!
-
Unfortunately, printer still sitting in the back room waiting for us to either buy new printheads or find that darned battery(!)
-
Yup, we use the papercut print control. You can't have a different one for each printer though and they all show up in the same list, but you can filter for what printer the teacher is monitoring. I can't trust some staff here to always remember to apply the filter and thus wouldn't want to open it up to everyone/all printers until papercut improve this. Works well for our IT rooms though. Even just the kids knowing that it needs to be authorised cuts down on the rubbish that goes through so often the teacher doesn't even need to cancel useless jobs now.
-
It seems the changes aren't any worse than before, except for those uploading on 50mb. The times still seem the same except some tiers now have a higher threshold and all upstream speeds have been increased. For me personally on the 10mb L package, the evening upstream allowance is doubled and the speed is too. I'm generally in the same group as Rydra above - would rather be paying for a service that 99% of the time works and works well, knowing what the limits are, than be with an ISP where the limits aren't set in stone and could sting you financially if you step over the grey mark. Not saying I like the traffic management - who does?, but then at least you know what to expect with VM and exactly what the limits are.
-
Smoothwall Express 3 refusing connections
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Running setup makes no difference unfortunately [edit]Also it seems if I refresh too much or browse to too many pages the web proxy service dies and won't restart (even if pressing save on the config page).[/edit] -
Smoothwall Express 3 refusing connections
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Cache cleared countless times and I even uninstalled advanced proxy mod and used the vanilla one with no luck. Reinstalled advanced proxy and no different. However, I noticed something. When checking the uptime of the services, the "web proxy" service stops then starts each time a page is browsed to/refreshed. I browse to a page, immediately check service status on the admin interface and it stops. Refresh again and uptime resets - so it is restarting the proxy service each time a page is browsed to. I tried changing the RAM in case that was at fault but it's fine. I'll try running through setup again and see what that does. -
Smoothwall Express 3 refusing connections
dgsmith replied to dgsmith's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Trafficlogger is using less than 10% - the rest negligable amounts. When you say hardware - any component in particular likely to be the culprit (RAM, NIC etc)? -
Been running SWE3 fine for the past 2 years. Suddenly this morning get a call to say students (who go via this proxy) have no internet; staff internet which doesn't go via SWE3 is fine. Login to admin interface, everything seems ok. As we use dansguardian mod I restarted this - still nothing. Reboot the SWE3 box - nothing. Do a shutdown for a few mins and boot back up - nothing. Worth noting it pings fine and can login to admin interface fine, but when you try to browse to a page is seems to be refusing and/or cancelling the requests. Config hasn't changed. What is more bizarre is that I managed to get a connection to bbc.co.uk but one where only the text is showing (like it has started downloading the content, stopped then just displayed what it got - see attachment). This is up to date. Normally though it just says connection refused. Help or advice much appreciated!
-
The latest version of papercut includes a new feature to add a discrete watermark to printouts - you can use their scripting engine to specify what this data is (including username). See here for info on their 10.5 release which includes watermarking. I plan to update to this soon. Papercut NG is pay software though and if you have an old version or none at all it would cost you (the free one as mentioned is just a logger).
-
That's the best approach webman - dashboard listing with definable groups and consumable membership. The list I have is quite literally some tables separating "HP Inks, HP Toners, Brother Drums, Brother Toners, Konica Minolta toners" etc, so split by brand then sub-split by type. Of course, any approach you take would allow for any grouping options, such as maybe by printer type, location, colour/mono etc. This may be a bit overkill, but even automatic toner identifying may be something of benefit. For example, it's taking a while to go through all the colour laser printers and add each toner model in separately (if you're unfortunate enough like us to have no actual consistant type of printer). Being able to make it automatically work out the colour toner models from the black entry would make life easier. For example, most HP colour laser toners use the same format where the black is 0, cyan 1, yellow 2 and magenta 3, so for the HP 2600n, Q6000A would be entered for black then the system would work out the rest, which are Q6001A, Q6002A and Q6003A respectively by incrementing the 2nd to last character. Of course, this should be optional as there are printers where this consistancy isn't applicable. I'm sure there are other things i'd think of too, though I only mention these as I am keen to use your system and any approach which makes it easier for an end-user should always be put high up the priority list imo
-
Noone has any idea then?
-
Papercut old version -- How to stop it closing
dgsmith replied to Jose's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We had version 7.5 up to 2 months ago, which we had ran for 3 years. Even on the older version for us, students where never able to kill the client. Have you tried emailing papercut support, as they are very good at helping you sort issues. I have emailed them many a time and been pleased with their commitment to help! -
Papercut old version -- How to stop it closing
dgsmith replied to Jose's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I don't understand - you shouldn't be able to kill or close the client at all? Whilst you can minimize it to the tray, the only way to actually close it here is by terminating the process via an admin account (unless there is a config option). Are you making sure it is actually starting or that it isn't crashing (like our's does often)? -
I'd agree about toner costs being included - I always try and log how much a toner/ink costs at the time of purchase so I can track price changes and therefore see if alternate cheaper options need to be considered. As we tend to use mostly compatible toners anyway, the prices of these stay reasonably stable thus changes in pricing isn't too much of a concern. I would like some grouping ability though for the toners and inks. I have got very used to my "printed sheet" layout where I group the toners and inks into categories for ease of finding them as opposed to one big list on this system. Whilst I'll play with this system and see how it feels, I would probably only shift across to actually using it once I can get it as close to my "printed sheet" version as possible. Still, not to undermine a great piece of free software you have contributed here though!
-
Ah yes, jolly good, that sorted it. May I suggest you include some common manufacturers with the installation (like HP, Brother, Oki, Samsung etc)?
