Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

dgsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,403
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dgsmith

  1. Thanks for the responses - seems quite overwhelming that a new proj is the way forward. We've never really had any major issues in the past when swapping out an Epson for an Epson which is what we tend to do (don't think Casio ones are in the budget).
  2. Due to funding restraints, our projectors aren't getting replaced on any kind of cycle so it's a case of deal with them as and when. We've pretty much used up our supply of spare bulbs so we're going to have to start spending money now. If we have projectors that are 6-7 years old (installed summer 04 and 05), is it better "value for money" to replace the lamp @ ~£130 or get a new one (better model, warranty etc) for £290 (Epson EB-X92)?
  3. Got this on a few of our machines (SFF though not USFF) but I refuse to order one due to extortionate cost. Have you checked underneath the hard drive caddy/container? On our SFF, underneath there you'll either see a fan or nothing. We found that some machines have never had a fan here but only recently started to show this error. Alternatively, take the hard drive caddy out and make sure the fan connector hasn't come loose (it's located right underneath the HDD on our SFF). Unfortunately we haven't found a way to disable this message in BIOS. Some have reported it works by disabling keyboard errors being reported but this didn't work for us.
  4. To be honest, I couldn't really care less if it's a billion, trillion, milliard etc - it would be just as amusing if it said a couple of thousand Although from what I have read, it is a trillion in short scale!
  5. Ok, i've changed the title if it makes you feel better - it was more the fact that it was an amusing cost as opposed to the exact name for the amount
  6. 132billion would have 3 less zeros though? None the less, I have seen some price errors in my time but this one I think beats the record!
  7. Just found this on dabs website for a wireless N adapter - even the recent euromillions winner would struggle to afford this - under "Buy used stock"! NetGear RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter (Available FREE With QL 7FF5) (WNDA3100-100GES PROMO) - dabs.com
  8. We have a mix of Axis and ACTi IP cameras and do all the motion detection stuff on the server software (this obviously is alot more than just a server for storage). I find you can configure more on the software and means it doesn't matter if you have cameras that support motion detection or not. Yes, hardware-based motion detection is probably more accurate but you can still mask any areas such as road, trees etc so not a big issue. We use the icatcher software - not too bad, does what we want but was really cheap when we bought it.
  9. Noone has any experience of B&T at all??
  10. Thanks for the replies - ideally i'd have found a host that allows for an upgrade to a paid service if all is well (and cheap at that). In the interim I have chosen to set it up on our internal intranet box, though if all is well i'd still be looking for a more permenant host for her. As specky said I guess i'd have to use akeeba with this approach.
  11. A teacher wants a very basic site created so I said i'd create one quickly so they have an idea of what it'd look like. I just need to find a free host (even if 30days) that'll auto create a joomla install and that I don't need to wait weeks for! So far from a google search, I have found hosts that don't email authorisation, claim to be free but direct to a non-free host or only offer 35MB of space which is useless!
  12. Has anyone sent back a HP printer on their "buy and try" scheme and got money back or can say their opinion of the scheme (each of use etc)? If not, does anyone know the method by which HP will repay the money to the school? Is it like the rebate where you need to provide bank details or is it cash/cheque etc?
  13. Getting Exchange here was the best thing we ever did 5 years ago and causes us very little trouble - it just works! We are an RM network and it comes under the RM support contract but little time have we needed to resort to RM to address issues. Neither of us are particularly exchange-savvy but once it's setup it just works!
  14. No other suggestions? A bit stumped here!
  15. Makes me glad then that we didn't get the NBD OS warranty as well! It's a shame as our experience with HP when sending out components for a customer swap (hard drive for instance) has always been really quick.
  16. We've got a CP2025 printer that developed a continuous jamming issue, so I called HP Tuesday last week, went through some "diagnostics"(!) and concluded it needed picking up for repair offsite. Ok I thought, when? They say next day so that would be Wed last week. Thur came and no pickup, so I phoned back to be told there was a "human error" and it hadn't been processed, but it definately would be now and would be collected on Friday. By the time I left on Friday it hadn't been, though I was feeling unwell so left it. I was off Mon, Tue, Wed this week, returning yesterday wholly expecting it to have been long collected - nope! I did, however, receive an email Wed night saying it would be collected Thursday (yesterday) which it was. No reason given for the incredibly long delay. Now, had it been collected Wed last week, we should have had it back in use by now, but instead we must wait at least another week. Needless to say i'm (and the dept are) unhappy but would HP do anything or take a complaint seriously, seeing as it's now been collected?
  17. Default.aspx is the only one listed in the /Extranet folder as would have been setup when I did 5.4.5 and we continued to use basic auth.
  18. You might notice I made a minor edit below the quoted box which lists a new problem "The system cannot find the file specified. " Are there any IIS/ASP logs to point to what it might be trying to look for? I still don't see why I should have these issues for what should be a straightforward reinstall
  19. Yes Nick, I did! I removed all the 5.4.5 files (or rather copied them to another folder) and copied in all the v6.x files and went through the web.config file from scratch and changed all settings, and I am in the position noted above. By upgrade instructions I just mean what actions need to be taken (i.e: does any of the IIS stuff need doing or is the documentation for configuring that no different, etc etc).
  20. Nick, is there a specific set of instructions for upgrading from 5.4.5 to v6.x? is it just a case of overwriting the files with the new ones and making appropriate amendments to the config file? Are there any specific v6 changes needed on the IIS Manager or is it the same as what was done for v5? I decided to do the "overwrite and just amend web.config" and got: [EDIT 14:25] I recreated the web.config file and went through it again (manually this time) and now get "The system cannot find the file specified. " I'm sure it wasn't this hard last time! [/EDIT] ...so I guess I am missing something. I couldn't find any v5.x to v6.x upgrade instructions which would help!
  21. Ok so, I see an upgrade download on the 6.3 option and a separate one on the 6.5 option - can I just upgrade from 5.4.5 using the upgrade download on 6.3 or will I effectively need to obliterate our current installation and install 6.3 as a fresh install of the whole thing?
  22. I see at least one 6.x version that says it needs a previous 6.x version to be able to upgrade. What I ask is, what is the quickest and easiest method to upgrade from 5.4.5 to the current latest? Is there a direct upgrade option or will I need to upgrade to a now older 6.x version as an intermediate step?
  23. We bought all procurve when we had a small network upgrade 3yrs ago (although this equated to just a couple of grand and a handful of switches). Admittedly, the decision on the core switch maybe wasn't the best but I guess having been used to planet anything was better, so we opted for a 2810-24G at the core. Obviously this isn't L3 which means there are certain things i'd like to do but can't. Seems like the 2910-24 would be our best bet now which is L3. I can't believe how much the prices appear to have gone up on procurve as well since June 08 - we paid £680 for our 2810-24 and £1260 for the equiv 48 port version yet Misco's prices seem to suggest a 50% hike! If you can get good prices on the procurve range i'd definately go for it, especially with the competitive talks already going on here
  24. Wouldn't it be almost as cheap for you to just buy a 512MB DDR2 SOIMM stick from ebay? I just checked and they go for less than £2.50 each for 512 or 1GB for less than £3.50 inc postage!
  25. Wow that's actually really cool! Works really well for me. I had to check that it wasn't actually a colour photo that turned b&w on the sly after a second, and nope it really is genuine. I'm not clever enough to begin to understand how that works!
×
×
  • Create New...