Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

abaxter2

Members
  • Posts

    167
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by abaxter2

  1. Hi All, Just a heads after after Microsoft released the update on the 3rd of Jan to fix the intel meltdown issue, and any system that is running SEP may find the following helpful: Blue Screen of Death with Stop Code: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH248545.html Symantec thread: https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/latest-win10-update-corrupts-sep14 Endpoint Protection system tray icon reports there are multiple errors after updating: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH248552.html The last link above is the one to watch if you have applied both the Windows fix and running the latest version of Symantec ERASER engine.
      • 2
      • Thanks
  2. Opps sorry ;-) On Semi-Annual Channel (CB) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-configure-wufb https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx
  3. 1703 moving to 1709 in jan 2017, 1607 was not good and would not recommend as your base image
  4. Yes that is correct as far as I know it: Device based activation = device is licensed and activated Shared activation = user based activation
  5. No the end user does not do the activation, the end user just uses office the same way as normal
  6. Every computer you activate via the "shared computer activation" creates a user account within office 365 / Azure, so uses one licence per device, example if you have 10 office 365 A5 Student licences and you activated 10 computers you would use all 10 licences. This means that you need enough licences to cover all the computers on site that you would like activated via the shared activation and also enough licences to allow students to install office 365 pro on their personal computer. So if you wanted to activate 10 computers via the shared activation and also allow 10 students to install on their personal computers you would need a total of 20 licences. The shared activation does not share licences - it creates an account for each device.
  7. You could always try a trial of "Office 365 Education E5" and while the trial is running test Device Based Activation, if that works and least you will know what licence you will need. Trial of Office 365 Education E5: Go to: Office 365 Admin Page > Billing > Purchase Services > Select: Office 365 Education E5. Guide of device based activation: http://boards.microsoft.com/public/prism/80710?token=f55452094b It is important to note that you will need an Office 365 Education E5 (Student Pro plus or whatever silly name MS give it!) licence for each device you want to activate.
  8. We have it running here, but had signed up when the Office pro plus was still free for schools, it is no longer free to sign up for! It was first called "Office Pro Plus for Students" and if you already had this like me than the name has changed to: "Office 365 A1 Plus for students" I do not think you can buy "Office 365 A1 Plus for students" as this name change was just for tenants that who had already signed up for Office Pro Plus for students and faculty. For Office 365 Device Based Activation I believe you will now need: "Office 365 Education E5" student licences: https://products.office.com/en-gb/academic/compare-office-365-education-plans I am unsure if you get this via your OVS, but I can confirm for Office 365 Device Based Activation to work, you will need studnet licences. (Licences that allow students to download and install the full version of Office on their personal devices)
  9. I've not seen this issue, but I do not use delta updates on my wsus, only the full CU. The issue looks like it only affects systems that use wsus that have been configured to use delta updates, of course I could be wrong, but I am not seeing this issue with full CU's
  10. Was using roaming profiles on Windows 10 up until the summer break, when I rolled out Windows 10 1703 build, now gone with local profiles and installing solid state drives as and when I can, so far working better than ever. Have always had redirected folders.
  11. +1 for Netsupport DNA
  12. We use My Concern: https://www.myconcern.co.uk/
  13. The update was only released yesterday, so in my case was downloaded by my WSUS server last night and deployed today, so would be worth checking with your WSUS server to check the update has downloaded
  14. If you was using windows 10 build 1703 you may want to have a look at the latest update 12/09/2017: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4038788 As it lists the following: Addressed issue that sometimes causes Windows File Explorer to stop responding and causes the system to stop working.
  15. I not seen this issue since using netsupport, before i was using windows 10 1607 build with impero and did see these issues but over the summer I moved to windows 10 1703 build with netsupport and so far these issue are no longer, windows 10 1607 was known to have the start menu problems even with local profiles
  16. I might know of a school that could interested, where abouts are you? and how much are you looking for?
  17. Hi Maus, As far as I know this feature is only on the the click to run version of office (Office 365 ProPlus) I can confirm it is there in my office 365 version but not on Office 2016 Professional
  18. Office 365 are having issues:
  19. Step one: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/export-or-import-default-application-associations Step two: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/set-the-default-browser-using-group-policy
  20. Don't even get me started, it has been shocking! Do you by any chance use Office 365 MDM? if so the reason you are seeing this error is because you will need to allow the standard Intune (Silverlight version) to coexistance with the Azure version, what you will need to do is the following: Open internet explorer (must be in internett explorer) and go to manage.microsoft.com > Admin > Mobile Device Management. Here, you should see “Mobile Device Management Authority" click here and add Intune. It should then read "Set To Microsoft Intune and Office 365" Once I did this and waited 24 hours I was able to sign into Intune for Education.
  21. UPN Suffixes: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/How-to-prepare-a-non-routable-domain-such-as-local-domain-for-directory-synchronization-e7968303-c234-46c4-b8b0-b5c93c6d57a7
  22. As mavhc has said, if you are just after SSO then Azure AD connect is the way to go and just keep using your local network. Intune for Education is for managing devices that are not joined to your local domain.
  23. I have purchased Intune for Education. My plan is: All my laptops / tablets will be Azure AD joined and managed via Intune for Education. Desktop Pc's will still be local joined / managened via GPO Will be using Azure Ad connect for SSO. Office 365 will replace remote access. Laptops via Azure AD / Intune for Education are very quick logons (under 20 secs) these devices will be used for Office 365 / internet access / research. I use the setup schools Pc's app to enroll these devices. Resource hungry programs like Adobe suite will be accessed via desktop pc with local lan access to shared drives etc, but of course with SSO will give cloud access. Intune for Education is easy to use but does not have as much control as local GPO BUT and I mean BUT at current Intune for Education is not ready! I have at current 8 support calls open with microsoft, yes we are getting there but there are a number of bugs!
  24. Office 365 now has Device Based Activation. *You must have Office 365 ProPlus* https://mix.office.com/watch/1loil4fauhero https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nzedu/2017/05/03/device-based-activation-for-office365-proplus-great-for-education/ http://boards.microsoft.com/public/prism/80710?token=f55452094b
  25. Hi All, Just a heads up really as I installed the .Net 4.7 recommended update on my 2012 r2 boxes, and found that after the server reboots WSUS was not working / running. It seems that after .Net .4.7 is installed the WsusPool under "Application Pools" in IIS does not automatically start, start the WsusPool and all is good again :-) I am unsure if this will be the case after every server restart (time will tell) as this pool is set to start immediately and of course this small issue may not happen for everyone, but I did think it was worth mentioning.
×
×
  • Create New...