Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ictgoodpractice

Members
  • Posts

    109
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ictgoodpractice

  1. 4TB useable in raid 5
  2. Don't have that budget in a primary school
  3. I did mention it was for storing user files, so hopefully that gives you an idea.
  4. Are people still putting SATA spinning rust in servers or is SAS lots better even though more. I have ssd running the is system. It is for user files mainly. Thanks if you can help me
  5. I am new to Hyper V. I am ordering a new server and have been told hyper V needs its own memory and cores to run. On the other hand VMs ESXI does not. Can anyone help please? I apologise for my ignorance. So one supplier suggesting Hyper V the other ESXi
  6. It is old and we are replacing the server, it is also a separate system to upgrade Unifi would make it all centrally managed.
  7. My primary has an ageing switch. It is a nightmare to manage. All of our network kit is Ubiquiti after a new Unifi wireless install. We did not have the budget to upgrade main switch. The Web controller software for Ubiquiti is great. It would be easier to put in their non poe 48 port switch. However, the Netgear seems to get great reviews. People that have used Ubiquiti switches and Netgear Pro any advice please?
  8. When was Quantum launched please. We have basic surf protect and only just been told by our EXA supplier that it exists. Seems from this that is has been around for quite a while?
  9. I am getting quotes to replace ageing server. I have had suggestions from Raid 6, Microsoft spaces and surprisingly - to me, raid 1. Does anyone have a complete raid 1 set up on their server please?. Only 1 server, but 2 virtual. Any help appreciated
  10. I want to increase RAM All the HPE manuals seem to say to share dimms across all channels. Do people do this? Mine currently has 16gb 4x4. However they are just in top 4 slots. Server has 4 channels so wondering what the norm is please. 1 processor installed 2603 Xeon 1.8 Thanks for any advice 👍🏻
  11. How much memory do you have please?
  12. Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it, that is helpful. Yes upgrades to ssd, ram etc also an option. It is a single server School and it is doing everything. Just throwing money at a project for couple of years, which could go towards a new up to date system is a bit of a concern. I see they are end of life 2021. Getting quotes for both new and upgrading.
  13. We currently have an HP Gen 8, it is many years old. What are primaries replacing with please? Our IT link are HP fans. Sas hdd? Ssd stuff? We are a small rural primary. 40 laptops, 100 kids, 8 staff, all files on server, might change in future but no money for a leased line so internet quite slow. New Ac wireless site wi fi Thanks for any help offered
  14. what is the code to open explorer and your log off button please?
  15. Did you ever get mapped drives working please?
  16. One of my lines is similar to yours I get a blue tile with W~V:\ and it does not go any where? Are you able to help please? Thanks
  17. it is 3 separate layouts on the tablet mode. I am not sure that the redirection will work as ours is only for their desktop
  18. I am trying to set up a surface go I have done everything I want, as all will be using Tablet mode as infants I cannot get a short on their for shared network drives. Anyone managed to do this please? Would really get me out of a hole if you could help. Thanks
  19. After much hassling from my reseller a new one is coming on Thursday. Reseller been great, Smart awful. Luckily we kept an old board or the teacher would have been stuffed. SMART sent a, please give us feedback on our service. Oh yes 😂😂🙈
  20. Trouble is, then how long with no board. Teaching ICT, as well as a techie, I know it’s a nightmare without it.
  21. Yes a reseller, I am dealing with them. However the person I spoke to at SMART said the same rule still applies with their reseller. I tried to be sensible with them and say many schools order in summer and don’t use for the 30 days etc. But I ended up having to stop the conversation with the lady as she was so un customer focused. I put the phone down, never done that before !!! Said I should have been told by the reseller to get it up and in use in 30 days. Also that it was my poor planning buying the board so early !!! So much more. I have never had such poor customer service. I mentioned she was not helping her brand and that the schools sector must be a massive part of their customers. I also said I needed one more but might go elsewhere. Did not seem fussed 🤷🏻♂️ As people have said, might have to take it further, yes LA school. Will speak to the supplier Monday. They were far more helpful from very brief conversation on Friday at 5pm. Hopefully they have a contact at SMART not just a random person. I have used SMART for 20 years. So angry!! Sorry for rant.
  22. They said a refurbished board not a new one
  23. We bought 2 brand new Smart boards (MX265) in July just before summer hols. They were installed over summer. Teacher started using one of them in Sept and it has died after a weeks use. Screen started flickering, lines over the image on all HDMI and with nothing plugged in. Screen died yesterday. Just black. Phoned SMART, they said as older than 30 days they would not replace with a new one. I said it had only been used from September. So now an on going arguement. Anyone else had this. Not sure I will buy another SMART board !!!
  24. I have this problem too in Powerpoint. Do you have a url for this patch please?
×
×
  • Create New...