Barcrest
Members-
Posts
81 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Barcrest
-
[sims] Quick Question about SIMS from Non-SIMS user
Barcrest replied to ntm1275's topic in MIS Systems
I think you mis understood what he said, as the leaving field is a date Sims will only class them as a leaver after that date not if there is any date in that field. -
Well my previous reply regarding the .net reinstall didn't seem to fix the issue with the Solus 3 client not running on that machine so I am still at a loss of what to do with that machine. I was able to install sims manually and it works but that is a workaround and not a fix.
-
If after re-installing the SOLUS3 UI does not resolve the issue then re-install .Net Framework as this has become corrupt.
-
£300, I would remote in and do it for £200 LOL. It really is pretty straight forward.
-
Yeah we have office 365 and so no more notifications. I was against switching but it was easier to support for the non technical support staff.
-
That is the full install on there so will extract out all you need. It's the latest solus 3 release.
-
Did you download it from here? https://myaccount.capita-cs.co.uk/Notifications/SIMS-Release-Download-Links/
-
[sims] Sims Server Performance Benchmarks - 2016 Edition
Barcrest replied to Sam_Brown's topic in MIS Systems
School Info 750 student school (SQL 2012, Solus 3, Discover, FMS) Sims Benchmarks 08 Seconds Reports >> Students >> addresses >> Year 7 >> 1 Reg Group Instant Search "Smith" student name in main screen search box Sims Database Sims.mdf - 5.56 GB Sims.ldf - 813 MB I am wondering if those of you where it seems to take an age have some bloat or issues with your DB. Have you archived off old academic year attendance marks? Have you run Tools >> System Diagnostics? Have you run the Tools >> Housekeeping routines? Do you have lots of old Pre Admission Groups with students? I don't know if any of that will have any bearing on the issue but it is something I like to keep on top of. -
The only time I contact our MIS support team is to pester for the release of the latest sims release on solus 3. We actually get our support from outside our LA now anyway, they have pretty much closed down our LA support.
-
To be fair all secondary schools should be Academies in the very near future with the budget today expecting to announce 1.5bn to move the remaining schools across. This pretty much takes the LA out of the MIS decision process surely. The only reason I don't like hosted is that you are adding in the reliability of the internet connection. We have seen this moving to office 365 for email, if the internet goes then we don't even have internal mail like we had with our own server. I would hate to see that happen with no access to Sims.
-
[sims] Slow (even slower) individual reports
Barcrest replied to SouthCoastSaint's topic in MIS Systems
When did you last reboot your Sims server? If you can, reboot it at lunch time and see if you notice it performing better after it restarts. If you can't do it lunchtime do it at the end of the day and try the report straight after. We had an issue on the old server where it was just using more and more memory and a reboot seemed to rectify this issue. With regards to your printer I set up my PC to print directly to the printers IP address, this allowed me to put my pin in the locally installed driver so it didn't prompt me every page when running individual reports. You should be able to do the same, by passing the print server and whatever settings that has set up on it. -
You can download the latest Nova Satellite install off supportnet or whatever it's called now and install it on the machine yourself it's pretty straight forward. EDIT: https://myaccount.capita-cs.co.uk/Notifications/SIMS-Release-Download-Links/ I think you need to be logged in to get to that page.
-
I believe so, I have 4.6 on my machine and I have the Solus client installed and working.
-
Seems like the only time I ever contact SMIS (Our Sims support) is to beg them to release the latest Sims build to us.
-
I suspect the issue is the name resolving back to 2 IP addresses if the laptop was built wired and then used wireless.
-
How come it seems most data managers were actually I.T. bods before? I went from being the Sims/I.T. Support person to the Sims/I.T. Support Person/Data Manager and then my Job Title became Data Manager and now that is pretty much all I do. I still manage the Sims upgrades and fix issues with people not being able to run Sims but that's about all my I.T involvement is now. I am now also getting more involved with Examinations, even covering for the exams assistant when she is off. It is certainly not a role I would have chosen, maybe something else will come up.
-
I have always been meaning to go and promote my jukebox software and never actually made it. I think my old arcade machine made it up there though.
-
I have requested it to be made available as I am not going to be in for a few weeks but that might actually be a reason to hold off until after Easter and just do an out of hours upgrade when we start back. I'll see if any issue arise before Friday and make my decision then.
-
I have a report that pulls out the AM/PM marks to a CSV file. I was using this as a way of having access to those marks in the event of a fire, it could probably be tweaked to show lesson marks as well. Then you could just write a small VB program to interrogate that CSV and send an email in the event of a mark hitting a certain criteria. I used the task manager and the command line reporting tool to automate the generating of the CSV.
-
Any chance of sending me a copy?
-
Yes we have been using SIMS since the old DOS days. You are correct it was Facility before, seems to be used a lot in Birmingham Schools.
-
CMIS might be something to consider, I have heard it mentioned a few times but I have never used it.
-
This might be because the current system is broken. Do a blank search and you will see all the requests however searching on a term doesn't work. I was told this is because I shouldn't have access to see the requests or vote on them however with a blank search and using date ranges you can find requests and vote on them. Maybe this is why you got zero responses. These 2 are duplicates and rank towards the highest in votes Employee Merge Routine 1411-1345590 75 Vote Score Routine to merge staff 1301-1161020 39 Vote Score Here is one for an audit trail, Audit Trail 1301-1165698 21 Vote Score Page 14 when ranked from highest votes down.
-
Apparently She used something Called AQUA apparently by Capita with Crystal Reporting. I cannot find anything on this from a quick google search. I have already provided her with the pupil break downs so she can work it out. Thanks for getting back to me.
-
It was the Finance person who asked me.... It wasn't anything I was aware of, she never said what MIS she used.
