-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
oo that does sound good hmmmm.... scotch *drools* hmmmmm.... scotch eggs..... *drools some more* lmao Cheers, Nath - the resident drooler
-
Volunteers wanted to beta test some shiny new software
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Wireless Networks
Oh please let it be meee... and I'll tell you why also... I really could use a tool that can help to show my unknowledgable fellow admin staff to see what I propose for the future in our network/system, what I can improve and show more detailed reports (or even "some" reports without me spending hours upon hours creating development plans to no avail) and hopefully as a bonus, it might help me get the pay wage I so readily deserve. So....I'll gladly beta test it for the lovely people I shall endevour to expand upon this plee, once I've thought more about it but I want to get in there first Regards, Nath -
I chickened out of doing any of that lol I used the ADMT (as mentioned above) to transfer the users to the new domain. I manually exported the shares (as I was transfering the data HDD to the new server) and voila - worked really nicely (except for the passwords as it wouldnt do it. Might be coz the old server was a NT4 server - I'm not sure but it didn't cause me *too* much hassle). Stop posting ppl...I'll never get anymore work done at this rate lol N.
-
And that completes (and starts lol) my point for not going for Dell PC's (not starting a war honest lol) but Dell defining things like that isn't for me Other manufacturers support it still so why are Dell phasing it out? Because they dont want it themselves anymore so it means that no one else does? Ha.... I think not lol /rant over Nath
-
I'll take a screen dump of edugeek.net once i hook it up to the net [yes you can do it before someone thinks I'm ...er... "extracting the urine" lol] Cheers, Nath.
-
Eve online - subscribed for a while but got bored lol Couldnt get into the storyline - not enough time in the day... Too busy enjoying FF Online now But anyhow, we digress. @Geoff: 4 grand?? You can still get original boxed ones you know lol see my links in the other post Cheers, Nath
-
How do you like to keep cool during these hot spells?
tarquel replied to ninjabeaver's topic in General Chat
My office is a cupboard so it dont really affect me lol as any amount of wind sweeps through the room like a wind tunnel. Tis good for my babys (servers) tho - probably why they are lasting so long lol Bloody froze when its not hot tho :( Nath. -
The bios update will be your best bet - they may add the option that they "forgot" in a later revision Also, try enabling the bios option of boot other devices and see if you can boot then, but try the bios update first I'd say. Regards, Nath.
-
If you can, use TYPO3 - it is amazingly powerful and once you work your way aronud it, you'll see there isn't anything you cant do with it We, some schools in Powys, are planning on using the custom version that Powys uses for its website - http://www.powys.gov.uk/ I was gonna try it outside of school but be warned, it is a big CMS system and with my personal hosting company - fasthosts - I couldn't get it to work on account of the restricted settings of the webserver [anyone who uses fasthosts and has got it, pls PM me ] I like the look of Mambo, tho in trying it, it fell over itself - probably something I wasn't setting up properly, but that was a while ago and maybe a known issue at the time. phpnuke & postnuke are quite good ones too - tho it takes me longer to set them up than it does for me just to make content from scratch lol Pretty much all the CMS's have different theme's you can get or custom-make so that "shouldn't" be a problem - its just time that you need to manage/build/create it i guess. Dunno whether you intend having a forum on the site but SMF is a great forum - and free too - formerly the YaBB team (although some YaBB things are continuing I believe). I use it for the (unused) Tech site I run for powys secondary techies http://www.simplemachines.org/ My two cents (as they say) Regards, N.
-
Ric_'s suggestion looks to be the best one. I shall give it a go inna bit once I work out how to use Eclipse lol Cheers, N.
-
[take a look at my edited post above btw - you guys were too quick to respond lol] Ahh i see - there's onyl one school in powys that has that and hasn't been very forward with the info so cant say for sure the licensing etc, but MS dont allow you to use the full version of OS with vol agreements anymore. I dont know if the same can be said for Server machines and MS Schools Agreement may be different but I better mention it anyhow. Its a stupid change in MS ruling, but isn't it always lol Check with MS about that to be sure tho - you must have a number you can ring. I havent got the Education phone number to hand or i'd post it. Regards, N.
-
@altecsole: Licensing: You haven't mentioned whether the 1.5k includes licensing too. Remember that if you get a 2003 server OS, you need to get 2003 device/user cals for every machine/user that will connect to that server, including the other servers Having 2000 cal's is not enough I'm afraid but I believe you can buy "upgrade" cals that may be cheaper for you I personally get 2003 device cals for every desktop as it allows you to connect to any number of MS Server OS server's - whether they are 2003 or 2000 (not sure it covers nt - would have to look into that) Let me know if you dont understand cal's and I shall explain further Regarding the equipment: I got a HP Proliant ML350 G3 (cant get them now - G4 revision now) for my DC but it all depends what you are going to be serving and how many I would say. What I'm getting in for my Exchange Server might be ideal for you - here's some links: Server - http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=HPIA041B7 SATA HDD - http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=HPGA03UR8 Additional RAM - http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=HPEA03WMB SATA RAID Card - http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?alert=categoryresults&product_id=ADGA04ALD You'll probably...definately I mean... want a UPS attached to it and I stick with APC ones as so far, none of the ones I've bought have died yet lol Same goes with all the HP gear (minus a tape drive that worked for 3 years perfectly) - all the SCSI HD's I have (in the server's I've had previously & hardware still work! Can't say if thats the same for every brand, but its why I stick with HP. Again, let me know if you want more info Regards, N
-
None bad I wouldn't have thought. Depends on what you intend to do with it... please speculate on the subject i.e. is it going to be the new DC, an app server, etc? Cheers, Nath
-
Just for info/reference - I use the following antispyware programs: - Spybot - Search and Destroy - SpywareBlaster for limited protection i.e. havent configured a way of protecting each user but its not high priority atm as local machine will be protected this way (I think)... For cleaning spyware, I use: - Spybot - Search and Destroy - CWShredder - HiJackThis Havent had to use Ad-aware yet. [btw - I have made a few silent/automated install version which u can fetch from my site - see sig - but no msi versions ....yet] Altho the above method doesn't allow for updating them continually, if you reimage the main IT suites often, then it shouldn't be a problem i.e. if you notice a machine acting oddly and find the cause to be spyware, you can just update the computer image and redeploy but so far so good atm. Plus content filtering will help here if the proxy server/filtering system you use has spyware definitions/filtered sites. Regards, Nath. PS Mark - powys' does now these days but it aint foolproof i dont think so a bit of added protection is always handy
-
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
Agreed. Well... we can dream lol *sighs* Nath -
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
lol very familiar... I dont have anything to do with training the staff or deciding out-right on pruchases but everything else pretty much I do. I like this: No offense to him but if it isn't office or SIMS, he doesn't have a clue - regarding anything. He was wondering what I was doing yesterday - I said making a patch cable up. He said that wont reach from the pc to the socket on the wall. I said its for the ports in the cabinet lol He lovely tho (just in case he see's this :S) Cheers, Nath -
lol dirty you for thinking such things lol :P Stop digressing now Nath
-
Thats all i wanna know Later, N.
-
Sleep? ...Sleep is for the ill-prepared lol LMAO - you may as well stay up Sat night just a bit longer then Thank god I havent got kids lol *quickly touches as much wood as he can find* Nath.
-
Hi all Just wondering what people do regarding kiosk style pc's.... After mentioning the library system to you all...and starting to set it (the pc) up yesterday, I was thinking how its gonna work. Because I dont want the library pc to be used for anything more than searching the library db, using Eclipse, and using the Internet possibly, I was thinking of having a fixed library user - non-logoff-able. Any thoughts regarding this as it's hurting my head at the moment - too tired to think lol All I can think so far is that I want it on the domain and I think the best setup in this case is using the install locally but backing up to a network share option (I'm just about to install the software). Cheers, Nath
-
Ahh so we dont need to do anything then mark? Ta Nath
-
How much do you earn and in what post?
tarquel replied to Dos_Box's topic in Budgets and Expenditure
hehe I love this forum. I bet we are all sitting there reading the threads nodding and laughing in agreement continually lol As a few people have been made redundant - one support staff, one nta, couple of part time teachers - I doubt I should ask for more money. It would be a tad checky lol :S I'll just wait for the Job Evaluation thing to come into powys properly... although it could be a long wait tho wish they'd hurry up lol Is there a job title that covers doing everything except taking the responsibility? If there is, then thats me. The ICT Co-ord here asked me a while back whether I'd like to take on the ICT Co-ord job (more a few thou more) - not sure whether its a good idea to now or not - any ideas? I think more then anything, it'll be shifting of blame to me if/when things go wrong Ta, Nath -
BBC computers - *yuck* - I think the bin will be your friend there Stewart Niiiiice - damn, wish I hadnt craped my C64 kit now May have been worth stuff in a while - damn girlfriend moving in lol Thanks for the replies guys tho I guess it wasn't quite the answers I was expecting lol Think I'll stick a poll at the top A few links of interest for those that are curious: - http://www.amigaworld.net/ - The definitive Amiga comunity Portal! - http://www.amiga.com/ - The un-eventful official Amiga Inc. Site - http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/ - The lovely people who have/are making the new AmigaOS4.0 - http://www.eyetech.co.uk/ - sellers of Amiga related equipment, including the AmigaOne systems - http://www.powerc.com/cgi-bin/gp?pg=amiga.main - Another supplier - http://uk.aminet.net/aminet/ - Tons of legal downloads for the Amiga All sorts of goodies here Cheers, N.
-
May seem like a odd one but this is the general chat section. I'll add more to this post later after I've had 40 winks but feel free to post if ya do and what your still running (if you are still running it ) To anyone who cares: You can even get USB on Amiga you know lol Cheers, N. PS. No flaming mark ;)
-
Cool - let me know. Thanks Cheers, N.
