Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pooley

Members
  • Posts

    1,832
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pooley

  1. pooley

    LEA Anarchy!

    If its anything like ours we had words like PROXY and FACEBOOK on a ban list and ISA would just drop the connection if the url contained those words, other words banned were logmein pron etc.
  2. I need 1 x 660 Smartboard Been quoted £884 inc delivery so far Cheers Si
  3. Sounds good, any chance you can move Derby a little closer to south Wales??
  4. 1st I would get her (if possible) to connect another pc/laptop to the board, that way you can find out what is at fault, machine or board. If Board could it be there i pressure applied to the bottom left of the board (where the start button is?)
  5. I use Misco almost exclusively, Mike Hinchcliffe is the accounts manager and has never steered me wrong.
  6. Have played with the Classic colour and appearence and changed the window to Blue, will see how she gets on
  7. Only if you have a concience about getting apps/games for free?
  8. We have 1 admin machine on Vista and everything runs fine but the Clerk using it has complained of Sims looking "Washed out". I can see what she means, on the Vista there is no colour definition, the entire sims page is Grey, where as on XP it has blue shaded areas. Has anyone else noticed this? I have payed with Theme, window colour settings but nothing changes the Sims screen. anyone know if it can be changed at all? Si
  9. Could you not Stop the SMTP service? Then start it later when your connection is restored?
  10. Has he painted it??
  11. pooley

    Internet connection

    Sorry I mean where it says "Proxy server needs password" here we enter un&pass to authenticate against ISA server to gain inet access. Dont put full domain\username just put username
  12. pooley

    Internet connection

    Just had a thought, and it was painful. Mac's can be over clever, when your authenticating to your proxy, your using domain\username & password Just use username and password Leave off the domain\ bit.
  13. pooley

    Internet connection

    leco are you sure your mac has picked up a valid IP address? try pinging your server/default gateway or your proxy server on the mac. open a terminal window (applications>utilities) and use the ping command as you would in windows. or
  14. pooley

    Internet connection

    Open system preferences, click on Network, highlight the network connection your using, i.e. Wireless or wired, press the advanced button, then go to the Proxy tab, enter the proxy info there.
  15. pooley

    Internet connection

    A quick google finds Recovering a lost root password - Mac OS X Hints or To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account: 1. Reboot 2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime. 3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line): * mount -uw / * rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone * shutdown -h now 4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again! Found somewhere else on the www
  16. pooley

    Internet connection

    Then your stuck, you will nedd and Admin un+pw to do anything. Unless you have the Mac Install dvd, boot from that and using the utilities you can reset the admin or root password.
  17. I assume you just Unrar everything onto an SD card and work through your destructions ?
  18. Thanks, I will pass on what you have said in the morning (later on today even) Set the default gateway to the ISA server but it had no effect either way on the filtering. Not sure what that means lol
  19. Still quite worrying if Websense default condition allows Squid to bypass all filteringunless there is a txt file saying not to ??
  20. Hmm our Default gateway is currently our main switch, not sure of the consequences of changing it to county ISA
  21. Thanks mate, I assume this needs to be done on the ISA server not my local server running squid. I will ask the LA to "Take a look" in the morning.
  22. Ok a bit of background info. Our LA has recently moved to an ISA 2006 box from 2000. At the same time they ditched surfcontrol and have implemented Websense. As the schools have a silly UID&Pass to authenticate to the ISA box for authentication I wanted to use one of my servers as a transparent proxy to authenticate for all my users. I used to use Python (ntlmapps) but it doesnt like the new isa box. So I started playing with Squid 2.5 (For windows) Installed this on one of my Server 2003 box's , configured it and away to go..... or so I thought. I wandered into one of my IT suites today to find a group of Year 4 kids on Youtube, on closer inspection (good job they hadn't noticed) the internet was totally unfiltered :eek: My 1st call was to county to ask if Websense had fallen over etc but nope it was local to my school. It seems that if I point a Browser directly at the ISA server and give the correct credentials when prompted I can get on the internet fine and Youtube/pron etc is all blocked. Browser | LA ISA | Websense Filtered content If I configure squid (with the same credentials) set it running and then point my browser to squid, it works as a transparent proxy but also manages to bypass the whole filtering system. Browser | Squid instance | LA ISA | Unfiltered content On the ISA server logs you can see it making the "handshake" and agreeing that the Username/credentials are correct and looks like its working,but then decides not to filter any content. Obviously I have turned off Squid and am not going back, but I would love to know how squid is being so clever at getting around the filtering. Its a massive security hole as is. Any Squid masters out there got any advice/info ? Cheers Si
  23. Another interested party
  24. Have to agree with Si, I have been running 3,6 since release and had 2 crashes, both me being impatient with the back button. Its also a far less memory hog than 3.5.* versions.
  25. Thats the 1, great stuff. thanks fella.
×
×
  • Create New...