Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ctbjs

Members
  • Posts

    226
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ctbjs

  1. Yes Had it done 10 days ago!!
  2. I have been attempting to do my November Upgrade this weekend and I receive the subject error message straight after doing the download of the upgrade and prior to doing the backup. Anyone else had this. My experience in the past with this is that a workstation has been left logged onto both the network and sims.net or that the server has held a connection. To combat this I created a batch file to shutdown all workstations in the school prior to doing an upgrade and also before doing the upgrade on the servers i restarted them. I say them because the sims application (ie setups etc) are on one server and the database is on another server. Any help much appreciated.
  3. You don't even need to install an application to hide drives you can do this yourself via group policy. There is some policy editing required to hide the drives you want to but it is all very simple to do. This forum is a great place to throw in ideas of how our networks are set up and it is very very apparent that our schools all use varying methods and software solutions to both protect them and to provide a service to our customers, the teachers, pupils and admin staff. It would be interesting to see a thread started on everyone's network setup, how they do things whether they utilize third party management products or whether they use vanilla windows networks and basically how they control certain aspects of their network in terms of filtering and classroom management. I realise there are probably different areas on the forum for all of these individually but in terms of an overall network setup it would be interesting to see what we all were using. I am bamboozled by the fact that a network should be so open as maxymaxy's appears to be certainly in respect of students, frankly ours have a redirected start menu, the applications they have in that start menu are the only ones they can use, no downloading, no installing or uninstalling or access to drives. They are at school to follow a national curriculum which includes ICT and therefore do not need full access to their systems. Teachers logging on for students should have their hands cut off as they are indeed potentially flouting Data Protection Act policies and putting personal and confidential data at risk. An ICT Co-ordinator is more likely to be a teacher and not a techie in my experience but tend to have a say in how the ICT functions within the school in terms of delivery to students for the curriculum, they should not be involved with the security of the network as I am sure this will not be part of their job description. However, if the concern from the ICT Co-ordinator is that the security is insufficient or non-existent then I feel he/she should take this up with the NM directly in the first instance as they should be working together for the good of the students anyway. However if the NM is reluctant or worse unwilling to change then the NM needs to be advised that the ICT Co-ordinator will be approaching the head rather than going behind his back as this helps no-one. I've gone on way too long and I have a 1 year olds birthday party to go to, its raining and my daughter is asleep in bed, maxymaxy, speak to the NM if he/she won't budge then tell them if they do not take the appropriate steps to secure the network that you will have no choice than to seek advice from the head/principal.
  4. and can we change the mice a missing to 40 as it is more realistic!!!
  5. Jing is also a good product.
  6. gwendes can you start a new thread for this please under "Flower Pressing for IT professionals". I would hate for any confusion.
  7. Next do a good set of thermometer cufflinks for a tenner, and they actually work!!
  8. Has anyone come up with a solution to this as clearly there seems to be some level of coincidence that several of us are experiencing the same issues. Our user accounts are very very strict and tied down so that they can only see a blank desktop with no access to the C Drive other than to launch applications. They are provided with a redirected start menu that 'should' be loaded each time we log on using a student user account. We are not letting Vista loose until this is resolved. Have any of you that have the problem tried doing a gpupdate from the run menu of the vista machine? Did it fail?
  9. Only windows server 2003 sp1 and above
  10. I must admit it is a strange way of doing it. You could set access based enumeration on the main share and use user permissions on the folders underneath, ----> Year 1 (all year 1 users) --------> Bob Smith (Bob Smith only) --------> Sarah Jones (Sarah Jones only) ----> Year 2 (all year 2 users) -------->Bob Smith Jnr (Bob Smith only) That way only users with the permissions for that folder will be able to see the folders and not be able to move them!! I hope you understand this if not give me a shout. Access Based Enumeration
  11. Just PM'd you mate take a look.
  12. The Slough Office of Wernham Hogg has now closed and moved north!! @Grumbledook Very philosophical Tony. Indeed, a team is nothing without its individuals and you want your individuals to work both, together and independently but for the same cause which is where the no I comes in. I would like one mate to eat with another mate as well as with me if that is not tame and we certainly don't want any of us to be treated like a mat sorry can't think of any other words in team.
  13. I don't know when your interview is Z but good luck with it in any case. I think most of the good info has been said here already. Aside from all the other usual stuff, make sure you are smart as, although it is not a requirement of a techie, it does give off a good first impression. An organised looking techie is likely to be organised in the real world. (how did i get my job!!! oeerrr). Be nervous but not too nervous, be confident but not over confident. Enjoy your tour of the school but keep your eyes of the female students (or the male for that matter.... they are OUT OF BOUNDS) Focus on what your guide is saying and showing you as they are likely to be pertinent to the school and will probably find questions relating to it later. Keep your head as clear as possible and be honest to yourself and the school. If you start blagging it will be obvious. Topics to look up on: DNS... I always throw in a question on this and it is amazing how many people do not know what DNS is or does. The prioritisation is always there and will normally be asked in the form of the head making a request for something of a low priority and a lower member of staff asking for something mission critical, it is always a case of deciding on the task and its overall effect rather than the individual making the request irrespective of who does your budget. You have to remember with a position like this is that while you know a lot of stuff, someone else will know more, you will learn lots from them but I am sure they will also learn from you. Remember there is no I in TEAM. Damn that sounds sad....but i believe in that. I learn lots from my two techies we work together ...for the good of the school.
  14. I amy be able to make it and if you fancy going Zac let me know and I could take you down there!! Chris I did tick option two Tony but I notice you left out the bit about you getting in the first round!!!
  15. I know it might sound obvious but have you authorised DHCP?
  16. @ Localzuk Go for it and accept any training you are offered. I've done my MCSA (via book) but am doing the course again now as the school have paid for it. I find the books are very good but the best way is to combine this with some real hands on training with labs etc. Passing the course for me is superfluous as I am more interested in the experience and knowledge. @nodgelyobo Don't worry too much about your age with this mate it is not always a worry although you will clearly expect to have younger bosses which is sometimes difficult to get to grips with initially. I'm 44 and took a career change 7 years ago and while it is a little younger than you it felt daunting to me even at 36. I'm network manager at a school now and have been for around 5 years (different schools). It is important to get your foot in the door maybe even as a techie to start with, get the experience and then move on and hopefully up. If you have the ability then there is no reason why you shouldn't progress like anyone. I particularly like schools for the hours, you get to have a life whereas in the corporate rat race you end up being on call and working long hours. The CCNA qualification you have is often more desirable than the MCSA but in terms of experience and widening your field then you could do a lot worse. Go for it, enjoy it and get applying for positions while training, if you have what it takes you will be snapped up whether in the education sector or corporate. Feel free to PM me with any questions and i'll be happy to communicate with you. Good luck in whatever you do.
  17. @Plex Because if it could have gone there as a network admin that is the first place I would have put it!! @FN This is virtually what I did in the end although instead of using the logon locally option used the "Access this computer from the network". This works well. @plock Another nice idea that we tried but the fact that a user can access the machine in the first instance was the point we were looking for here. @Geoff Part of the original question indicates that the files/folders are backed up to the network. @altecsole Good idea, I haven't tried this one yet but will give it a go Thanks for your answers, issue resolved
  18. This is not related to simultaneous log on. I have one user that has a workstation that has data on it that we do not want any other user to have access to. It resides on the C Drive of this machine (and is backed up to the network) and therefore cannot be protected on the network. We want to be able to restrict the use of this machine to this one user only (plus domain admins of course). Anyone done this before and if so how?
  19. http://www.cwjobs.co.uk is a good place to look This one is in Skelmersdale don't know how far you want to travel?
  20. do i get -15 points start?
  21. ctbjs

    SIMS Server

    is that even after tidying backups in system manager?
  22. ctbjs

    SIMS SQL 2005

    Moving data from one sims server is a doddle and will take you one day only at the most. I have just done this with mine moving from one domain to another, it took me just less than a day and then obviously now I have to visit all the workstations and reconfigure them to go onto the new domain. Not using as much RAM as you guys but see no problems with connectivity or speed. I will need to revisit this later in the year as we have more users connected to the SIMS database.
  23. You could take a look at this. We had a demo of it at our last network managers meeting and it looks pretty impressive. Its based around policy central if you have heard of that. You could always ask them for a trial. They cover 3 main aspects with this - Network use monitoring that covers your content control, - Image control which is very good and works based upon pixelation and skin tones plus content, - finally a USB option for controlling your USBs Pricing as advised by their sales rep was around £7000 for the first year and £1000 each year thereafter for maintenance and support. These prices may not be wholly accurate but give an idea. Another aspect of it is that it displays your AUP at logon and by clicking to say OK they are accepting your AUP which is useful. I use a cut down verision of this already using the logon message sceen but this would be better. It also does recognition of welfare situations such as a student (or member of staff come to think of it) writing suicide notes or visiting suicide related sites, it detects this type of data and instantly flags this as urgent and forwards to the relevant parties to take immediate action and remains flagged until cleared. They also showed us securus and while it was a good solution, for me it didn't come close to the e-safe education product.
  24. I think this is only common sense and should be applied across the board for anything like this including the use of ID cards within school. Consultation with parents and awareness for students is a must. On a personal note the cost of biometrics at the moment is not really that much of a saving in time against standard methods and are likely to be susceptible to student tampering, ie bogey on finger, next kid won't go near it, black in on finger, next kids fingerprint doesn't read. We've just decided against it for now as a cost of £34000 for biometrics did not seem cost effective to us. Nice idea but a costly one in my eyes.
  25. I'm using the GFS method now have tried back and restore. Using Backup Exec 11d it works very smoothly and very quickly. Backups are running at 640Mb/min and are over in no time including verification. Restore is also fast, tapes are barcoded and is almost instant. Restored an applications frolder with 2.5Gb of data in it in 3.5 minutes very impressive. By using th GFS method I get a weeks backup, 3 weeks backup, and 12 months backup altogether. I had thought about whether to go for differential or incremental but despite the tape changes i went for incremental. The tape changes with this overland is zero touch anyway as it will autodetect the relevant tapes for you. Not noticed any unreliability with them having used them for many years. Only time this causes an issue in my mind is when the backup rotation is not set correctly and some tapes are used more frequently than others. I guess its what suits the individual and the business combined as with many issues.
×
×
  • Create New...