Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICT_GUY

Members
  • Posts

    2,543
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ICT_GUY

  1. Give her your mcp server 2003 book along with the XP one and the networking one and possibly the active directory one. Tell her that when she passes the exams she can come poke around your server under supervision. Even limited rights to admin users would not get past me, one click and its a head ache for me. Her f*** up costs you your job. And I would not let anyone touch my servers that didnt know at least what I do and certainly not without me breathing down their necks and taking notes. As for admin rights, when hell freezes over.
  2. It comes under fair use. Yes you are but they dont like you to think that way.
  3. Will this do? http://wykeregisjun.co.uk/techsupport.jpg
  4. Ok thanks for the info. I will be putting it to the Head at some point. The linux box might be fun as I have a few old PCs hanging around. Spend money to save money
  5. Thats pretty bad, at this point I would be thinking one of two things. 1. The Environment is bad. Some schools are like this and its time to move. 2. I need to make some changes in how things work around here. I have found that the best way to get management on side is to make them realise how little they know and how much I know. Simple BOFH stuff. Once they fear that the problem might be that they are stupid and that they ought to be listening to you then it gets easier. I practice this lots. In all the schools I have worked in. Make the problems look tough but the solutions easy, because you are the alpha geek. If your system is failing, your network flagging. Start making noise about the quality of the hardware. Always have a get out clause and always make it known that if a problem is down to faulty code / hardware that you are the tech guy, not the multi billion company whos job it is to produce sub par software that needs patching just to get it to work badly. Vista* is poo, not my problem go see Bill Gates. However I will do my best to kudge the thing into working. (*change as needs be.) Sorry if this sounds trite, but IT is 10% what you know, 50% what you can find out and google and 40% attitude when dealing with the lusers that do their best to thwart the good running of your network.
  6. Anyone know of good software to manage print quotas? Two teachers and one class have got through 50% of our colour laser printers carts over a two day period. Approx £50 of printing. £15 for a serries of pics that kids help up in an assembly. £20 for a certificate from bbc dance mat typing for each of the children. £15 for a booklet that should have been photo copied. I would like to find a way to restrict class and user printing. So that if 10 colour prints from a class go through then they have to come to me and ask for more. Certainly I want to restrict the number of prints a user can make in a period of time. Free would be good, though I would spend for a good app, upto £100. :oops: Tight I am.
  7. 10 years later I was coding in 8080 assembly language. 8O Almost as hard, try getting a script kiddie to code an app with three letter codes and hex.
  8. Take care with meds, some for stress have very bad and fatal side effects. I was on Seroxat (paroxetine) for a while, whoa did it make my head a strange place to be. Also brother inlaw commited suicide whilst taking the same stuff, one of the side effects is that symptoms get much worse going on and coming off the stuff. He was just starting to take it. Personally if the work is too much start complaining and keep a log of the complaints. Keep a job list on the wall, make a deal of putting new jobs at the bottom when people come in. If they complain about the time scale then tell them why you cant do it straight away. As for time management, my golden rule is, if its a five minute job, it gets done straight away. this makes me and the person involved happy. I never make someone wait until I have completed a long job. Often this involves a short break and a walk hoth of which make me happier.
  9. Real world, The only sensitive data on our school network is held in the teachers home area, even then its not that useful to anyone. The licence keys might be of use to someone but you can find those on the net for nowt. Data recovery costs a load of $$$ and takes time (for broken disks, its cheap and easy for functional ones, fdisk will not remove your data) Electronically erasing a disk is only worth while if you intend to sell it on. (not likely when 120gig HDs cost £30 or less). Break them with a hammer and be done with it, or if like me you own several large caliber Black Powder pistols, use them for target pratice. Oh and MS does a free tool that will erase HDs or just the free space on them, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/SDelete.mspx
  10. Its what we do, FLV player is what we play them back with, though the storm codec suite also works well.
  11. I work 37 weeks a year and 27 hours a week. Compared to my previous job as a Prison officer this is as easy as it gets. No weekends, no night shifts, no assaults, no uniform, no riots and did I mention every weekend off? Now Having four kids three dogs three cats & four chickens at home, thats hard work. I come to school for a break.
  12. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/05/28 This one is old but still true and it cracks me up everytime.
  13. What do you mean? You need an OS that can do basic file handling, comon They built in a really wizzy interface! You can network your xbox 360! (something you used to be able to do in xp, but they accidentally broke it). And some other multimedia stuff that we bolted onto the XP kernel to make it big, bloated and a resource whore. You dont really expect it to work as well.
  14. I have a desktop refresh bit of VB6 code that refreshes the background. 'Declarations Private Declare Function SHChangeNotify Lib "Shell32.dll" (ByVal wEventID As Long, ByVal uFlags As Long, ByVal dwItem1 As Long, ByVal dwItem2 As Long) As Long Private Sub refreshdesktop() Const SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED = &H8000000 Const SHCNF_FLUSH = &H1000 SHChangeNotify SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED, SHCNF_FLUSH, 0, 0 End Sub I use it for a kludge using active desktop. :oops:
  15. We use nod 32, it is very quirky, almost to the point of being the most horrible bit of software I have had to learn ever. Once you get you hear around the really strange names for normal features it seems to work ok. PC Pro did not like it that much, rating it lower than The free version of AVG. Its detection rates let it down. On a positive side it blocked a poisoned website yesterday that I stumbled apon which is a nice feature. The network admin side of things works very well once you have set up your auto update folders and custom installation. Its quick to install over the network, but can only install to one PC at a time. Each PC takes 20 seconds or so. It will however hunt down PCs which are not protected at the press of a button. It does not lock computers up like sophos was starting to which is nice
  16. mmmn, I would be interested, but I will be buying the orange box as soon as I get some computer time. * Note, with a two year old daughter, a new baby due now, two new pups, 5 year old German shepard, the chickens, cats, wife, planes, guns, fishing and two boys comming over in 3 weeks time to stay I have difficulty finding spare time, even with the fact that I only work 27hrs a week.
  17. I dont work the holidays at all. I even complain about coming in on training days :oops: (And yes, I am a very happy techie)
  18. ICT_GUY

    easymail

    Easy mail, got to love it, because we have got to use it. So the problem I had the other day was that we had allocated more than our 100mb extra storage space to our users. It threw a wobbly then refused to add more users. This Despite the fact that several of our users are 3 - 4 times over their limit. So to increase the space would cost £115 per year for an additional 500mb storage. Thats not per user, that my friends is the whole storage increase spread over all users! Now in the days of free email, with storage in excess of 2 - 3 gigs per account this seems just a tad unfair. Google is providing 100 free email accounts to our school website, all with 2 gigs of storage space and with the advantage that it has 99.9% uptime, and its quick! And we can have more if we want, we just have to ask. But we cannot change over, because "its what everyone uses, we might miss some emails" If only we could afford to go over to exchange.
  19. I now visably wince every time I hear someone whine about why its not working.
  20. But you can do a reasonable job of spray painting it.
  21. Depends on the processor. A castrated Celeron is not going to benefit as much from faster memory access as much as a quad core Pentium. It will however benefit having lots of memory.
  22. My bad, here's a revised batch file (copying and pasting some of the bits from sysmans script). xcopy \\someserver\someshare\somewhere\font.ttf %WINDIR%\fonts\font.fon /C /I /S /E /H /Y /Q reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts" /v "Some Font (TrueType)" /t REG_SZ /d "font.ttf" Nice.
  23. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/203-0394275-5736703?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vga+extension+1m Make it work with new improved kludge, get the job done! The signal loss is next to zero on small runs. Even if you with the additional break.
  24. It does and the only way I found to do it was to package it as an msi. Either way its a lot of hassel to install one font.
  25. The easy way. Use ntbackup, backup to a file (fast), restore the backup to a new location with all permissions correct. This is about 10 - 20 x faster than robo copy.
×
×
  • Create New...