googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Well they ain't dispatched my Home Premium from Amazon yet. Although a)They're not dealing with Royal Mail any more I heard and b)I only paid around £45, and kind Microsoft will be shipping the full version rather than upgrade / E My poorly media centre PC is just as eager as me!
-
Does anyone know how to disable the LanSchool Student service? I tried to but it just reverts back to 'Automatic' start every time! We have a system in several rooms where a machine is a Student / Teacher hybrid i.e. the machine acts as a student (Student.exe) unless logged in as a special teacher account which runs Teacher.exe. But it seems for 7.3 a new service has been implemented meaning Student.exe always starts up!
-
So, what are best books to buy for Windows 7 / Server 2008? I don't want any that would be too basic, more for someone like me on a techie background. Would juse use Google but these books would be a good reference to have in my garage
-
We rebuilt the server using a brand new hard drive and Server 2003 install, was getting the same 'Corrupt / Tampered' error on a fresh SQL install! What Microsoft helpfully failed to point out is when using the SQLSERVR.EXE command line utility you need to do sqlservr.exe -s for it to work if using anything other than a Default Named Instance!!! (Finally found it on Google but how does 'Your SQL Install is corrupt / tampered with' error help me!
-
Would love to know where you get a couple of those 15tb drives from cheap ;)
-
I have a HP ML115 stuck in the garage, running Server 2003. Keep trying to make it a virtual PC server but never get chance to do it properly. Not got round to getting the house hard wired yet and home plugs are crap speed, so just used for file storage etc at the moment really. Nice to RDP in to it from work to check up on PVR recordings etc
-
We have a MagiCard Turbo antique ID badge printer and have recently moved to a new MIS system. Anyway basically the ID cards are generated by producing a Crystal Report which should allow for the size of the ID cards and even leave a little white space around the edges. On our MagiCard Rio this report will show as a one page document in the Crystal Viewer, however on the machine with the MagiCard Turbo it will show as a two page document with the second being a blank card! Therefore for every badge one is wasted as it prints an overcoat on both cards. (And we can't just tell the staff to click 'Pages x to x' because the software allows for batch ID card generation! Long shot but does anyone on here have any ideas? All the driver settings look correct!
-
We had the Telewest / ntl / Virgin Media (ARGH!!!) engineer out at our sites today and basically someone (I suspect a builder...) has buggered up the cable somewhere in the street. So outside our control
-
Our Fibre link to our remote site has died at around 11am this morning, all the switches etc look OK just the fibre has no link! Anyone aware of any outage at the moment in West Yorkshire? Particulary the Bingley area...
-
Probably a simple question but I know very little about all this thin client business so far! Our support company did a Sun Ray 2 install for us (Think it is a Solaris based Sun Ray server then a Windows Terminal Server for the actual desktop the users see), but didn't seem to setup the system so when USB pens etc are plugged in they get picked up by the terminal sessions. Is there a easy way to enable this or will we have to get them out again?
-
Did try chkdsk a few weeks ago, may try it again. Just running the intensive scan on ESTool now, for some reason my boot CD didn't like the server but the ISO off the Samsung site works fine For the record we have uninstalled and reinstalled SQL 3 - 5 times over the past few weeks and it always seems to end up back at the corrupt file issue! Also we can't use the command prompt to put the Sql Server service in single user mode when we want to because it complains our SQL install is either corrupt or has been tampered with!
-
We have a server with a fairly standard Microsoft SQL 2005 SP3 install, for some reason the system SQL files (i.e. master, msdb etc etc) seem to be corrupting at random under very little load. I'm starting to think it could be disk hardware failure, is there a disk checking utility that works on Intel server motherboards and Samsung HD501LJ drives?
-
Have you checked Download settings under the Internet zone to check File Downloads are enabled?
-
Is there any free way to create a mirrored drive set in XP Pro? (Like you can do with Server 2003). I have 2 spare drives in my office machine of the same capacity and would like to set up a mirror so I can store some larger files etc off the network on them.
-
What is the fault out of interest?
-
Well the answer is obviously the 'Insert' key! (Anybody with VMWare based virtual machines will understand why I say this!!!)
-
Just got a message through about LanSchool 7.4 release at work today, but what interested me more is you can now get a FREE cut down version of it for monitoring student screens etc. Quite good since you can install it on up to 3000 student machines and do a thumbnail view of all machines. I just need a huge LCD in the office now
-
I really like how tidy the cables are in that picture! Ours are a complete mess although when they designed our IT suites they never thought of ordering proper furniture for most of them with cable management in mind!!
-
I think my job is just getting to me too much, but sat in a bank this afternoon (Great way to spend my final day off work until October at the earliest now!!), I hated the way the member of staff kept pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del before clicking 'Lock Workstation' to lock their workstation every time they left the room. I just kept wanting to shout "Windows key and L!!!". Same with the staff at work...
-
Well that didn't work out then, since neither are 'up'!
-
Just came on here as a last resort really while waiting for support etc to get back to me! Last night our SAN must have had a problem (We have 2 in seperate buildings replicating each other I believe) Got a email from it: Neverfail Heartbeat Red Alert: Neverfail Channel connection has been lost. This happened at Tue Aug 25 20:30:32 BST 2009 on the Secondary nfpri while Passive. Further information if available: If you regularly get this message please see KB 992.) This morning both SANs are at the Windows Storage Server screen fine, so I can go through console / RDP on both. On both there is a Neverfail system tray icon saying NEVERFAIL HEARTBEAT NOT RUNNING. Any ideas? I didn't know servers could have heart attacks! (It is a Westek SAN unit, not sure what model though!)
-
Thanks for the suggestions, I think they made the decision to get the caddies again 'because the old ones had em!' (These are brand new machines!). I may tempt them to try out virtual machines on at least one machine this year as I had that idea myself. They do have several old machines to mess around with but still need to use the main machines too (Don't ask my why, this has been the case since before I started employment at the place!!) Think I'll have to ask the tutor how they did it with the old machines. Theoretically the darlings would go to a locked cupboard, get their hard drive out, swap out the caddy, do their work then replace the system drive caddy at the end of the lesson. Theoretically. Just thought there would be some sort of utility kicking around somewhere to prevent a 'accidental' format etc. Although we do have an image on the hidden partition I suppose assuming they don't wipe that!
-
One of our classrooms is going to have systems with hard drive caddies in them so the students can swap the caddies out to put in hard drives that can be formatted, install XP on etc However, this opens a security hole in meaning we have to allow them to boot from CD in the BIOS. Therefore, are they are utilities etc to prevent a particular hard drive from getting formatted? We do use Deep Freeze but that is useless if they stick in a XP CD and select 'Format'!
-
Recently at work I finally got my 24" widescreen monitor for my office machine, which is fantastic with it's 1920 x 1080 resolution However, it isn't so fantastic when connecting through to it through a RDP connection! Is there any utility to automatically change the resolution of my office PC to match that of the screen I am connecting through from? Then change it back when I disconnect?
-
Just spent the day trying to recover a corrupt Master DB file which was preventing one of our SQL servers from starting, no joy and no internet solutions helped (Couldn't do a repair etc because the agent wasn't started, then tried to restore a very old 2008 Master DB file which worked partially but when we went to try putting it in single user mode so we could restore from a recent backup file it complained our SQL installation was corrupt or had been tampered with!) Anyway since it is Friday I thought 'sod it' and did a full uninstall of all the SQL Server 2005 components from the server, then did a fresh install using the same service instance name Now the server has a fresh install with a fresh set of 'system' databases, how do we go about restoring the old databases? Is there a particular order we need to follow, i.e. does the master DB need to be first? Also have the SQL Agent jobs and 'database maintenance plans' been lost during the reinstall or are they in data files somewhere too?
