Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. What happens is the Enterprise Console agent gets confused when a machine is imaged from another machine, they fight each other to share the same entry in Enterprise Console Usually on a image I have the standalone Sophos client installed which can then be linked to the console afterwards
  2. Just set up a FOG server Ubuntu 9.10 Is this IP config right? So it broadcasts to the entire network auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 10.201.98.90 netmask 255.255.0.0 network 10.201.0.0 broadcast 10.201.0.255 gateway 10.201.98.254 (Our network uses the 10.201.x.x range, servers in 10.201.98.x range) Also there is a second 320gb hard drive installed in the machine which is totally blank and not partitioned or anything, how could this be configured so FOG will use it to store images etc? (FOG is not installed yet) Cheers!
  3. In one of our classrooms, a student has broken in to a PC and legged it with a 2GB RAM stick!!! This would be one of our 'PC Maintenance / Workshop' type classrooms for Cisco courses etc. Anyway I was thinking if we bought a few of those mini padlocks and used the security hole on the PC (As you may use on your suitcase) it would help stop this happening again? Anyone done this?
  4. Sun Ray 2 based clients. We use a Novell network and have a SAN causing us a headache at the moment - Basically our infrastructure is too flaky for us to even consider more thin clients at the moment! We're wanting to try the 'nettop' devices as they offer a local experience but then in a few years will still be more than powerful enough down the line to convert into thin client devices!
  5. Hi Does anyone on here have a classroom based on Acer Aspire Revo devices? If so which model and are they any good for use in a classroom environment? We are looking to replace a disaster of a thin client implementation with these 'nettop' devices and would like some opinions!
  6. googlemad

    Huge Laptop!

    I remember the first days of my 512k broadband back in 2001. Now I'm complaining about 10mb being too slow, although Virgin traffic shaping doesn't help
  7. I may need to restore our Capita Unit-E database to a backup from Monday night plus a transaction log taken from a point on Tuesday afternoon, I know most people here won't have experience with Unit-E but it is a Capita product so may be similar to SIMS restore? My thoughts are it is just a standard Microsoft SQL 2005 database so I just kick everyone off, use SQL Management Studio to restore the backup plus relevant transaction log file then let people back in? It is the same instance etc so there should be no issues relating to security permissions etc? Thanks
  8. I found the other day on a clean machine the full KLite package will install all the common codec needs (Quicktime, Real Media etc) and associate them all to play in WMP Wish I had known that last summer!
  9. It turns out the IDE cable was knackered (Had little cuts in it etc). Replaced it and is OK now (Damn tight cabling!)
  10. All I can say is: Sony Bingo!
  11. Does anyone have PCounter working with HP 1022N printers? The driver seems to cause major issues with PCounter! Not reporting any page count / paper size, bypassing accounting etc!
  12. The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0. Getting the above message every few seconds on a HP Proliant ML115 server running Windows Server 2008 R2. The system disk is a IDE Western Digital 250GB (All SATA ports are in use with data drives), did a check on the disk with no problems reported. Any idea why this is coming up? The server seems to be restarting now and again too since when I RDP I keep getting 'The system has recovered...' message and Unexpected Shutdown Tracker pop up.
  13. The VMWare image worked (Was configured as a 1 processor 2 core VM with IDE HDD). Removed VMWare tools and changed to Standard PCI IDE controller before taking image. Our P500s seem to have Pentium Dual Core processors rather than Celerons.
  14. Help with ESM server please! We have installed it on a clean XP SP3 laptop with all updates applied (Yes I know XP rather than Server but it is a low key deployment), and every time the laptop reboots it insists on performing some sort of configuration changes to the ESM MSI then comes up with a message saying the computer needs to be restarted for the changes to take effect! Tried countless reinstalls and repairs but no luck, any ideas?
  15. I need to get 4 laptops up and running for something on Tuesday. So I built a basic XP image in Sun VirtualBox last week at work (Since I wanted to test how good it was compared to VMWare) and ghosted it to a physical Samsung P55 laptop after removing VirtualBox tools and changing IDE controller in XP to standard. Installed laptop drivers and working great. Ghosted the exact same image across to a P500 laptop and it didn't boot! (I could access the F8 menu for XP but after that, just a blank screen.) So now I'm trying to build a similar image using VMWare workstation 7 and ghost that across tomorrow morning, will I have the same issues?
  16. There isn't any Virtualization options in the BIOS but so far I've created a Windows Server 2003 x32 VM and a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 VM and they both work fine! So there you go. Much cleaner than having to stick VMWare Server 2 on the top too! (And seems to perform better...At the moment!!!)
  17. Over the weekend I upgraded my testbed of a server (HP ML115 with AMD Opterton 1210) to Server 2008 R2. I stuck the Hyper-V role on it and to my surprise it seems to work! Considering the fact I thought Hyper-V needed VT extenstions to function I was more than surprised?!
  18. I think ever since the 'Vostro' line Dell are using more 'standard' designs, certainly my sisters Vostro 200feels like a custom build PC with a Dell logo stuck on the front! (When compared to my Dimension E520 with the no tools required most of the time design)
  19. My Toshiba external HDD PSU has died and I don't fancy shelling out 30 quid for a new adapter! The current one is a Dura Micro DM5127 3 pin one Input 100-240v 50-60hz 1.2a Output 5v 2A 12V 1.2A I've had a rummage and found a 2 pin adapter with the matching bit at the end to plug into external HDD Channel Well Technology PAG0342 Input 100-240v 47-63hz 1.2a Output 5v 2A 12V 2A Would it work or go bang?
  20. I've found our 100mb connection at work can usually download the software faster than I can find it on a CD!
  21. Was sorting out a filing cabinet today and found all sorts of juicy MSDN blasts from the past! Anyone remember Windows .NET server?! (Before they renamed it to 2003!) Amazing how none of the CDs are really any use today, and the entire library is now available online!
  22. On a network location there is a .ade file (Access Data Project) so multiple users have access to it, when one user opens it however it seems to 'lock' the file for other users trying to open it using Windows Explorer however when they go through Access first then open the file through there it works fine! Any ideas?
  23. We're open even though around 95% of the other schools around the area are closed . I live on the other side of the county and when I left home all the schools around my home are closed too!
  24. Finish in 8 minutes, home via pub, then closed tomorrow. Hope it carries on to make an easy week!
  25. Good printer hardware wise BUT software wise install the HP P2015 driver (Its compatible). As when we installed the P2055 driver it seemed to install some form of HP software monitor without asking (Through the add printer wizard, not HP setup wizard!) and crashed a load of machines every time a print was sent...
×
×
  • Create New...