googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
LanSchool 7.5 and iPrint printer queues
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Cheers for that -
My mind has gone blank Basically got several small old hard drives with data on (Including in some cases Windows XP installs from the machines they came out of!) that I need to dump into a folder on my machine, so I just select all and do a copy into required folder. Which works fine until it finds a locked file that gives an 'Access is Denied' message then stops the whole copy process! Any way to just make it skip such files?
-
LanSchool 7.5 and iPrint printer queues
googlemad posted a topic in Network and Classroom Management
Tried LanSchool 7.5 in a few classrooms, the problem is we use iPrint printer queues (With PCounter) and every time a print is sent to such a queue since LanSchool 7.5 the job is not submitted and the following message is written to the Windows System log: Any ideas?! -
I'm registering them as I go along Sorted the transfer issue out had to plug both dongles in at the same time and do a drag and drop in license manager
-
How do you remove a education Cubase Studio 5 license from a dongle? The option to do so is grayed out in the license manager! We have one machine where both Cubase Studio and WaveLab will be installed therefore want to put both licenses on one dongle but didn't initially realize the WaveLab was a pre activated dongle!
-
When I image a suite of computers using FOG, sometimes several will end up with a 'corrupt' image on i.e. XP won't start with some weird and wonderful error message. If I image the machines again they do seem to work. Isn't FOG supposed to load balance so the amount of the machines should not overload the imaging server?
-
Well I woke up and switched off my alarm initially thinking it was Saturday!!! But here at work I've done a MIS upgrade which has gone really smoothly, and people actually signed off the system well in advance (Makes a change!)
-
Even if we have 'systems' in place round our place the dongles WILL go missing so internal mounting it is! I did wonder why they had sent multiple boxed copies of the software actually, considering everything these days is digital. Would have been nice to have a network based utility like 3DS Max as another poster said, oh well!
-
So we've got a new IT suite to set up with a load of music packages one of which is Cubase I've just noticed the Cubases come with USB dongles for licensing!!! Does that mean they have to be plugged in to the PCs all the time?! And once in a PC, can they be transferred to another in the future if required?
-
Imaged a classroom of PCs using FOG today, all went well except I had to reimage some as they didn't fully image for some reason (Either I overloaded the server or the caretakers knocked the power off!). Anyway all up and running except ironically PC number 13 which fails to image! Gets to around 42% then kernel panic lots of garbage on the screen. Tried to wipe the disk but still the same, tried to run it without anything plugged in apart from power monitor and ethernet cable no joy. Also tried CMOS reset again no joy. Now running a memory test on it but if that passes what else could it be? I should stress this PC is from the exact same batch as the rest in the room an Intel DG33BU Stone!
-
Is there any way to set the default GIMP save location? I'm sure I managed to do it in my image last year but this year it isn't having any of it! It will 'stick' with a path I specify but once I exit the program and go back in it just goes back to the default path
-
Thanks, ran every update apart from IE8 then after checking they were all installed did IE8 and worked fine. Silly Microsoft!
-
Clean XP SP3 install (XP SP3 ISO on to brand new blank CD from Microsoft Volume Licensing) Ran all updates including IE8 - After restart getting this error. It seems to relate to the IE update but not sure why or what is causing it? This is my 3rd clean install attempt now!
-
Hi Moving from Office 2003 to 2007 over the summer (Much as I would love to leapfrog to 2010, it ain't gonna happen!) Anybody got a list of 'gotcha' settings that may need changing to suit a multi user educational environment?
-
Technology in schools: Is the clock being turned back?
googlemad replied to AngryITGuy's topic in General Chat
The battery in our clock ran out when a small development by the name of Facebook came along... -
We have a number of ex classroom P4 2.8ghz systems in our back room which are to be redeployed over the summer to general staff. Anyway since DDR PC3200 prices have shot through the roof and these systems have 5400RPM 2MB cache 40GB IDE drives in I was thinking there is a larger performance gain from new 7200RPM 16MB cache SATA drives. And we can recycle them a lot more universally than RAM. Could anyone recommend a good 500gb HDD from CCL? And am I right in thinking it appears to be the best capacity/price ratio? (It seems overkill but seems stupid to purchase half the capacity for a few quid less!)
-
Here is a unusual combination! We got one of these new fangled Google Mini devices and rather than index a web server (the easy option!) the powers that be would like to try and index one of our Netware volumes... The only way I can see to do this would be via LDAP but I'm not having any luck with the settings, anyone got any ideas?
-
Does anyone on here have experience with the XPR Enterprise gateway software? If so, I would be interested to hear from you as we have a small problem with billing on our copiers!
-
Our Ubuntu 10 FOG server will not boot fully unless a monitor is attached, so we can't remote in etc Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks
-
Got a evaluation machine from Stone, believe it is based on a Intel DG41RQ motherboard. Anyway compared to previous year systems, the BIOS is incredibly slow! From power on to XP splash screen is around 25 seconds. I know it isn't huge but on a system from last year the XP desktop can be up on the screen by the time the POST completes on the DG41RQ! Any ideas?
-
Upgraded to 0.29 from 0.28, now upgrading Ubuntu to 10.04 This WILL go wrong!!!
-
FOG has a great feature which would allow me to import all our classroom (and in the future) staff PCs via CSV so we could image them, memory test them, disk wipe them all from PXE! The problem now is collecting all the machine MAC addresses! Is there a tool that can do this? Really I would like Computer name, IP and ethernet card MAC
-
[fog] IP Configuration and second hard drive
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in O/S Deployment
Got the extra storage up and running by mounting it as the Images directory! Is it normal for a machine to take around 30 minutes to upload a 5.5gb image yet only take 5 minutes to download it back on to the same machine?! -
Hi Kim After contacting our support company they said we could just remove the Sun from 066 is as it only used for Firmware updates As the Staples advert says "That was easy"!
-
I'm not an expert on DHCP by any means, we don't really use it much but have a DHCP server assigning 10.201.201.1 - 10.201.201.255 addresses. I'm setting up a FOG server and need to modify the Option 066 for PXE boot, now I know how to do this however the option is already in use as we have several Sun thin client devices using this option to connect to Sun Solaris server! How can we make Sun and FOG work happily together? (The weird thing is we still have a Novell Zenworks server in place which comes up at PXE boot even though I can see no reference whatsoever to it within the Windows DHCP scope or service!)
