pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
Hadn't thought much about that. Probably £500 ish, tops.
-
I didn't hear any motor sounds - just the pump. I'm wondering about repair, it's likely just the brushes on the motor but is it worth repairing a 14 year old machine? (likely cost - either £75 to get someone to do it or £3.50 for brushes if I attempt the DIY (how the heck do carbon brushes even last 14 years on a washing machine)).
-
We allow BYOD for teachers and 6th form. We impose some policy restrictions on their use if they want to connect to our exchange service. On security and them putting files on their personal devices; it is technically nearly impossible to stop this (anyone can email a file to themselves) so we have to rely on policy and educating users about the issues.
-
An adjunct to the Tubmble Dryer thread : I put a wash into my machine last night and some time later discovered the motor seems to have stopped working. It's an old Bosch machine and I've had 14 years out of it so I can't complain (much!) - but I now need a new machine which can live in an outhouse (so cold in the winter). Anyone care to share what might be good?
-
Does anyone know of (or supply) a kit which could be retrofitted to an existing laptop trolley which would a) give soft start and b) prevent shock from back EMF when the unit is unplugged?
-
Join a club. Also, look for a local place doing "no strings badmington" - where anyone can turn up and play. For Tennis; my local Tennis club organises cheap coaching sessions, has a fun league and club sessions where anyone can turn up.
-
Fallout 4 finally finished downloading (after 1 week)! My most important quest now - I'd like my character to look like something other than a member of Village People.
-
Personally, I don't think they mix very well. I think it is probably worse coming from Badminton to Tennis because the technique is so different - you end up trying to flick a tennis ball with your wrist and after a while it really hurts. Swinging through a badminton forehand isn't great technique but doesn't actually hurt you.
-
I cancelled mine when I realised that what my last visit had effectively cost. On the positive side, I ended my losing streak at Tennis on Sunday in a gruelling two hour freezeathon, 7-6 (7-0), 6-4. I just need to do a bit more cycling to round it out (or even out my roundness).
-
2000 users, 1000+ devices, 100Mb symmetrical - upgrading to 200mb on a 1Gb circuit in the next few weeks.
-
I threw out my Golf clubs a few years ago - we were a bit pushed for space and SWMBO was nagging me to get rid of stuff. We ended up with more space and in the end she got rid of me. Now, I'd rather have the clubs back. A couple I'm friends with recently asked me to play a round. I misheard. Sheesh, I guess some friendships are just passing things.
-
Funny enough, I have access to the same reports and information that you do. Apparently that information allows you to pass judgement on the situation but not anyone who disagrees with your assessment. That does seem to be fairly typical of your trolling. A failure to produce food for people who are two hours late because they made a choice to soak up beer on BBC coin in no way is comparable to subjecting an employee to half an hour of verbal abuse, including racial slurs and concluding with a physical assault. If you think they are comparable, you frankly need to get some perspective.
-
I'd say people who have been on the end of 40 minutes of verbal abuse, humiliated in front of all and sundry by an self important toff bully boy before being physically assaulted by a punch in the face, might be cut a little slack when it comes to making sensible, intelligent decisions. Also, people go to A&E to assess the extent of their injury - they often don't know how extensive the injury is and if that is the case, they should indeed seek professional advice. If someone here was shouted at by a teacher for 40mniutes for not having pepped equipment for a lesson, despite the teacher then turning up worse for beer two hours late, and they were punched in the face, I wonder if the teacher would get the hero worship that seems to be reserved by some here for the schoolboy bully Clarkson.
-
"Over Qualified" is a term that I think is often a shibboleth for unfair discrimination, unless your job/person spec happens to set maximum levels of qualification/skill/education. In reply to the OP : Qualifications and experience are your marketing collateral. You can make either work for you but if you lack experience qualifications are gold and even if you do have good experience, qualifications and certifications might just put your cv above the cut off line and get you the interview - at any level. - - - Updated - - - "Over Qualified" is a term that I think is often a shibboleth for unfair discrimination, unless your job/person spec happens to set maximum levels of qualification/skill/education. In reply to the OP : Qualifications and experience are your marketing collateral. You can make either work for you but if you lack experience qualifications are gold and even if you do have good experience, qualifications and certifications might just put your cv above the cut off line and get you the interview - at any level.
-
We have several hundred laptops in trollies in addition to 150+ staff laptops. I'm extremely reluctant to increase the number in use in classes and am actively looking to reduce it!
-
So an employee is subjected to a tirade of ugly ranting, including slurs on his ethnicity "lazy Irish ***t", not as a one off shout but for a reported 40 minutes unabated and he is then finally punched in the face, has to drive himself to hospital with a cut lip believing himself to have been fired and out of a job, but you think it is his fault for not having hot foot ready for people who pitched up 2 hours late because they thought it more important to have a few beers rather than be on time. You really do have some 'choice' views. I sincerely hope you never experience such bullying at work even though it might be the only thing that could possibly give you some much needed perspective.
-
I think this year we have done around 120 desktops, ICT Direct i7 and i5 refurbished to which we add SSD drives. Next year looks like it might be excitingly ... none!
-
One excel tip for complex formula in cells : first you can drag the bottom of the formula bar frame down to enlarge the editing area. Then, within a formula you are typing in, you can use Alt+Return when editing formula to force a line break so you can end up with more readable formula layout using multiple lines and indentation to show the structure.
-
IF's, used as worksheet functions (those that you use in a cell) get quite messy and difficult to deal with when you have a lot of options to sift through. A lookup will be straight forward, (although some people seem to find them tricky to understand - ask if you want an explanation). Lookups also tend to be elegant in that the functional aspect of the solution is well decoupled (separated) from the data. If your criteria for promotion changes you only need someone to alter the data in lookup table you are using, with an IF statement, you need to go in and alter the actual code and then copy that code around the cells.
-
There seems to be an assumption which is unstated, that everyone starts on G1 (otherwise you would need to know the date of the last promotion). If that is the case then you are really just wanting to look up the number of years from the start date to the next band. That should be pretty simple to do with vlookup or hlookup if you are vertically challenged. Then, since excel is pretty good at date arithmetic, you just add that number of years to the start date. There is probably a function for that similar to the one you used to calculate the years worked (you could add 365* that number, but that will not deal with leap years).
-
Waaaaant, needs some more votes!
-
I bought one (datavac) for our team to save on tins of compressed air. Tins of compressed air still seem to be the instrument of choice...
-
We limit access to allstaff; it's me, head's PA and the communications manager, no one else can send to the list. We do maintain a vast array of mailing groups straight from MIS data - teaching, tutor and year groups, staff by department, students by department and year etc.
-
There is little beyond transistors in my i7! So little progress since the moon landings or ... ok, maybe just a little (or maybe just progress in making (things) little).
-
G27 is my current combo, which has been running for 6/7 years - but is still going strong. I'm tempted by a direct drive wheel - either a DIY job or the Accuforce Pro. The latter would save a lot of faffing about apart although either would probably mean building a dedicated rig. Currently, the G27 just slides across the desk and clamps on - I think that would be a major pain with any upgrade.
