robert.mabbutt
Members-
Posts
73 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by robert.mabbutt
-
We have some old PC's, Cel 400mhz 64mb ram, 6 gig hard disk. The cost of disposing these under WEE is bloody expensive! so I'm trying to think of some low/free cost ways of disposing. Firstly, would these PC's be useful for a Thin Client setup? Secondly, would anyone be interested in these (approx 50 units) tbh I don't think we need any money for them, just someone to collect them lol. Regards Robert
-
Just turned 22 yesterday still wishing i was 21! I've use to work at the school when i was in 6th form and now come back after my degree (Business related not IT lol) however really enjoy working in this environment where i can see my work making a difference. Money is crap! however I have some really good ideas i'm trying to implement! Regards Robert
-
How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?
robert.mabbutt replied to amyr's topic in General Chat
Its my birthday today as well. 22 i still wish i was a student back at uni again such great times! and sleeping till 12 lol Happy Birthday Amy!! Robert -
I've got a friend who's a slingbox rep. he's got one set up for his sky. He normally uses it at home so just on his network and its a good picture on a projector. He's brought his lappie round and used my net connection to connect to his sling box. Its pretty watchable but can struggle on music videos. Obviously making it full screen can show some 'pixelation'. Its not bad overall but debateable whether its worth £139/£149. Another thing if your AV source isn't next to your router you'll have to either get a nice long cable or a wireless adapter for it. If you have a phone on 3 (certain models) have sling box software with them to allow you to connect. I've seen this in action as well its not that good but for short periods ok. These units were exclusive to the DSGi group however that agreement has ended so might be some bargins out on the net! Set up is fairly easy, i set his up. I did static IP for slingbox and set up port forwarding on his router. Hope this helps. Robert!
-
Found this on Microsoft's Site And on the download page it mentions minimum requirements office 2k and XP. The only problem for users is it will open a Read Only version of the file it puts in Temp files so they have to make sure they save it to their documents folder before editing to save loss of work Robert
-
lol I've had this already, luckly I have been using office 2007 at home which i had changed the default file format however I had one template that I needed to keep as Dotx which meant i had downloaded the compatability pack for office 2003 Here. Last week 2 students turned up with having used the new shiny office only to discover they couldn't open their work, so i opened it and Save As'd it. I also informed them they should change the deafult save as file type for the time being. Robert
-
Cheers for all the tips guys I going to check out your suggestions and undertake some research. Any decison to implment a new system such as this will need planning. Plus Full support to ensure all uses it Post is also bookmarked! Robert
-
I was half expecting to wake up find no Snow and the sun starting to get through! But no! snow snow everywhere. Guess who hasn't been told about the procedure if the school closes. ME!!! luckly I still live at home (only 21!) and my mum works at the same school so she got a call off a collegue. But if this wasn't the case I would have headed into work found its closed! Now I can see how we got our Investors In Peolple status! Sorry for slight rant at least i snow and a chance to catch up on some work at home creating user guides and sorting training material out Robert
-
I was just wondering if anyone uses help desk software to log users calls and do your users have access to send faults. What system to you use and do you recommend any? I'm just testing the water here don't know if a solution like this would be suitable for my organisation. Robert
-
Thanks NetworkGeezer! I shall have to have a word with the bursar just to let her know and get her to check things out. I don't want it being a surprise to her (I know I'm such a nice guy! lol) even though we don't manage to Admin network but i still prefere a smoother running school! lol Robert
-
Right this may seem a really basic question but I don't have anything much to do with Sims at our place. From what i have read in this post there will be a fairly major upgrade for Sims because its moving to SQL 2005. Does that mean all schools are currently running SQL 2000 and therefore all are required to upgrade? Robert
-
Thanks GrumbleDook for the local info. Very much appreciated as always I had an IT teacher come in work today saying I visted a school on Friday they have a VLE its brilliant we should do it! In my mind i was going woah calm down dear! From what i have been reading on the net and especially EduGeek the implementation of one of these is not an easy task and would need careful planning. Espeically when in the past products and services have been rushed into and now sit dormant! I do belive mle/vle's have there place and can be an excellent resource however it needs clear concise planning and work in partnership with our LEA to create a solution benefits our students. Robert
-
I logged into the EMBC Gateway the other day and was presented with a link to this document According to Becta its says schools should eventually work towards an MLE. I know some of you already have VLE's i was just wondering would you guys eventually work towards an MLE or stick with what you have. Also the people looking at VLE's have you looked at MLE'? Sorry if the question isn't worded correctly Having difficulties trying to put down my question on paper! Robert
-
here's mine mabbuttr at hotmail dot com
-
I blagged a Nokia 9300i on an upgrade nearly a year ago. Its still going strong. The reason I got this, is becuase I have a nokia car which this fits into. I sync it with my Home pc and works well with outlook, i can open and edit word and excel documents. Plus connect to wifi It has been dropped a bit but becuase it was free i've not been afraid to take it out and use it! Robert
-
What speed Internet do you get provided from your LEA
robert.mabbutt replied to mattpant's topic in Wireless Networks
We have a 10mb EMBC connection (previously 2mb) which has been reliable of late! which is nice. It is nice to download items at 1.1mb sec. I usually get this before and after school but when the kids are on i easily 500-700k which isn't too shabby Robert -
How about a trip to another EduGeek member for research purposes! lol then you could go to a car wash or home to was it! lol Robert
-
We've had this one with Intel graphics. In the end I got sent round the machines to untick the Use Hot Keys option in graphics properties! I was at my second job yesterday (Currys Digital) and one of my staff had discovered this on our Till PC's. I was putting a sale through and trying to remember CTRL+ALT and arrows up and down. Robert
-
I'm not too hot on the old proxy set up! lol. We have and EMBC connection, i've just reported proxybutton.com they added it to the global deny list, however their netsweeper software doesn't seem to work and we can still access it! lol The first time i phoned they said they will have to call netsweeper at 2pm (when Canadians wake up!) to try and fix. However the promise of a phone call back never happend, so just rang up again to chase it and they told me to leave it with them and they'll call me! Robert
-
Hey guys, I've just found this Forum its from the school kid who has kindly created sites such as Proxy Button its his forum listing all his new proxy sites and development of them. Could be of use to those with on site filtering to try and get ahead of the students. Robert
-
Microsoft Schools agreement software usage
robert.mabbutt replied to robert.mabbutt's topic in Windows
BKGarry i knew there was a reason i was flicking through the folder i was looking for Encarta but by the time i got back to the office I'd remembered to look in the folder but forgot the software lol. Although I don't remember seeing it in there mmmm Robert! -
I was looking through our Software folder from Microsoft and worked out we only use 3 parts of the agreement, Windows XP, Office 2003 and CAL's. I was wondering if you guys used any of the other software in the agreement? Regards Robert!
-
Each comp has its own Computer Security Identifier but if ghosting then it ghosts the Computer Security Identifier. I don't know if running Sysprep stops this because on first boot a Computer Security Identifier will be created. What we normally do is created an image of a pc we want then ghost to all machines Run NewSid and install Sophos. I can send ya the programs read me if ya want. Might explain it better than me EDIT:! http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/NewSid.mspx Found the link for it! thought that might be easier
-
Just a thought, after ghosting did you run newSid? Regards Robert
-
I use to leave my office pc locked over night due to a ranger problem and haven't come accross this issue. Roberto
