Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TheHyperTechie

Members
  • Posts

    705
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheHyperTechie

  1. Hi thanks for your reply! Well, I would be issuing a chromebook to every staff member. So there would be no need for Intune, or Azure etc (at the moment). I would just manage the devices and users from the G-suite console. Of course the only issue I see with me doing this, is.... Legacy software! such as the office suite. I suppose in the future I could always buy some staff licensing so they can access the apps in a browser such as word, excel etc. And yes, resilience is definitely a key factor. It would need be planned correctly, and They would need to invest in a redundant line for sure.
  2. Hi, thanks for your reply! - Yes, a server will still be needed for Papercut forgot to mention that! I suppose it could be hosted on a desktop or I could look into a different printing method such as IPP or similar. - Users could either be created by myself, or by using something like salamander to link to Arbor (as you mentioned) - Yes, I could mix firewall with filtering. They use RMSafetynet at the moment. So I could set up an IP range for staff and student devices and apply the policies accordingly to each range (staff/student). Or I could assign a policy to the whole IP range and enable the staff proxy for staff to access certain sites etc.
  3. Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has fully migrated their schools to Google....? I work in a large primary school with a very "hybrid" set up. The students use Chromebooks, and some of the staff/teachers do to. However, there is still an on-prem DC (that is tired) managing a few windows laptops hosting services such, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Printing, and file shares too. My thoughts are to do the following... - Deploy the google drive client on remaining windows devices to sync users files to the workspace - Use papercut mobility print for printing services - Host DNS, and DHCP on firewall. - Use something like Synology Active Backup for workspace, pointing to a NAS off/on site. - They already use Arbor for their MIS so no issues there. - Invest in a redundant FTTC/5G connection in the event of a main line issue. - Senso.Cloud for safeguarding monitoring, and possibly Securly for extra filtering. - Licensing is perpetual, so would be looking at roughly £30 per device - Training provided to staff/students on how to use the Google Workspace apps Please let me know if I have missed anything, as I am sure I have! I am more interested to see if any schools have actually succeeded in migrating fully to Google? How have staff found it? Has there been any software issues? is it even possible? haha!
  4. Hi, I am located down in the South West and have used this company a couple of times https://www.greenitdisposal.co.uk/ Their service has been great. Although, you do need to have a certain amount of qualifying items such as switches, printers etc for a free collection!
×
×
  • Create New...