Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TheHyperTechie

Members
  • Posts

    705
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheHyperTechie

  1. I honestly thought mine would be hard to beat in this forum. Now I am crying ..... thanks 😆
  2. Hikvision here, very old - but technically on-paper "still does the job". If I could replace I would go with a UniFi UNVR and their bullet cameras.
  3. 2001 here... (sorry for making you cry even more).
  4. You will want Chromebook Plus models for staff. I haven't looked at pricing for a while from suppliers, but I think they range from anywhere between £4-500. We got these for some staff a while ago. Great laptops. EDIT - If budgets are tight (understandably) we have used these for staff chromebooks as well. Despite the lower spec processor, they still perform very well, and we haven't had any complaints!
  5. I think it's because Google Workspace is just much easier to setup, configure and maintain compared to O365 (I have used and configured both for schools). Therefore, we see less threads and topics asking for guidance and troubleshooting. I think Google Workspace is less popular here, but in America it leads compared to Windows/O365. Like @jthompson mentioned, no licensing issues either, (O365 licensing is a very popular topic on here).
  6. Starting to look at Wi-Fi access for our school field. We do not have any outbuildings etc I can run directly to, so it will need to be installed on the main site. Does anyone else have a similar setup? looking at the U7 outdoor specifically, as it has a directional antenna. Anyone have any feedback on this model? TIA.
  7. iMovie, staff love it! but of course this is only useable on their iPads. We do have a school "shared" macbook though, which some teachers use for heavy editing.
  8. £320 through RM at the moment.
  9. The jobs are definitely there. I can't comment on the best places to look, but I am sure Indeed (change location) and sites such as Tes are a good place to start. I quite regularly see job discussions on Reddit for this sector, salary wise (from what I have seen) it appears to be much better than the UK. Obviously, you have to factor in cost of living etc, but I would say IT jobs in general are more rewarded there. If I didn't have full time life commitments here in the UK, I would be probably be looking to do similar, not exclusively the US but just somewhere else...
  10. RM offer their SafetyNetGo filtering on iPads now. We have it on our chromebooks - offers in depth user reporting. In your case it should be quite effortless to setup, as your iPads are in shared mode already?
  11. UniFi has always been solid for me. Only issue I have ever encountered was with certain ISPs blocking ports, and domains/urls. This used to cause issues connecting and updating occasionally.
  12. I manage our DNS records through the RM portal myself. I believe it is a paid extra (Self-Service) @ £49 a year. Well worth it though, sometimes requests would take 24-48 hours which was just too long unfortunately.
  13. We had this too. I was told they could only drop a cage off at our furthest north school. This defeated the point though, really, as I would still have had to load a van with kit from each school and take it there. Shame, as from what others say - it's a great service.
  14. Conditionally available licenses, are normally from devices you have unenrolled from your tenant. They can be reused, but only on an exact replacement device to the one you unenrolled. Unassigned is what you have available, to enrol any chromebook into your tenant. You have 103 available.
  15. Are you willing to split? or looking for all of them to go in one? I may take a couple if you do.
  16. This^ I do believe they offer a free trial. It can convert your PSTs to PDFs and then if you collate them into a single document, it can be redacted.
  17. We have about 3TB that is across a large primary, and a small one. I went for a 4 bay with 4 x 2TB drives. Setup using SHR, essentially raid 5. This meant I only had about 5.4TB of capacity. However the backups are incremental, and at the time we had no plans to expand. I factored it in lasting at least a few years before needing to increase storage (which it has).
  18. We used to use a Synology box for our Google Workspace tenant, multiple domains, would backup emails, drives, shared drives, calendar. Pretty much everything. It would do a backup every night. I was in the process of then looking at something like PeaSoup to back the NAS up to the "cloud". We then migrated to Office 365, I believe the MSP who manages the tenant uses Barracuda's service.
  19. Not worth it imo - I would stick with a popular education based brand (Zioxi, LapCabby etc). The price of these seem appealing, but the more popular branded ones aren't actually that much more, you're also getting piece of mind with the warranty.
  20. Are you a RISE school?
  21. Yep, I must have had exactly the same email. They also come with 5 years on-site warranty, I am tempted to try one. We were paying almost triple that for our BenQ screens.
  22. I am in exactly the same boat, looking at Newline C series as well. They do look very good for the money!
  23. Following, as I am looking for similar. I have come across the Newlines from PWD which appear good - just basic interactive screens, with software installed.
  24. M4 Mac Mini, assuming you have an MDM to manage them.
×
×
  • Create New...