_techie_
Members-
Posts
434 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _techie_
-
Hi Strange issue here with URL resource linking to YouTube in IE11. Flash IS installed, but clicking the resource in Moodle opens YouTube with an error, flash needs to be installed. Force refresh (CTRL+F5) or Copying the YouTube link and pasting into a new tab causes the video to play in HTML5 player without issue. Clicking on the link in an email or from our support ticket system causes the video to play fine in IE11. The video also plays fine in Chrome from Moodle as same user. It's not Smoothwall as we have given user full admin unrestricted through web filter access. Also works fine as local user account, so feels like a GPO issue. Have removed all IE confit from GPO and verified no GPO settings are being passed down at login. Have also tried local profile over our normal roaming profile with no success.
-
Hi. We have a successful test of a BYOD system for Staff/6thForm Setup to use, using our Juniper/Trapeze MX200 system. The captive portal exists on the Trapeze MX200 controller, and Radius auth via AD credentials is working. I can even block certain users from getting through based on our AD groups. My next step was to create separate BYOD systems for both Students and Staff, but was hoping I could possibly create just one, and forward RADIUS requests to Smoothwall from our NPS Server. I have added in the smoothwall IP to NPS as a client, but am unsure of what to do next? Any config needed on Smoothwall and NPS to make this happen? Thanks, _techie_
-
Chrome book as thin client
_techie_ replied to CapnPugwash's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I think that maybe you are missing the point! What are you trying to do, and what is the price entry point per device? A reasonable Chromebook can be had for less than £170 inc management license ex VAT. Any Windows device (Lynx tablet for this price for example) for this price is slow, takes around 2 hours to build, join domain, "policy up", has poor battery life, won't run Windows 7, and has poor wireless with common drop outs causing issues, and takes a long time to boot from cold. We have managed to utilise our existing Citrix infrastructure to get a device that: Boots in seconds to a login screen (I am talking less than 15 seconds here from cold) Has battery life that easily lasts all day Is fast and responsive for the user with much better keyboard and trackpad. Can commission a device from out of the box in less than a minute and deliver to the end user Utilise our existing AD logins and passwords. Easily provide Wordpad only in XenApp published Desktop for exams use without having to give a full desktop login, and save back to the network for backup of files etc. Overall, I am perfectly happy with them :-) -
Dynamic DNS updates not being created but DHCP working
_techie_ replied to _techie_'s topic in Wired Networks
Yes, deleting the DHCP entry also deletes the DNS. Rebooting the client solves the issue, but it returns anyway. I think we have got to the bottom of the issue... Think it's a dodgy image that was being rolled out, onto machines that had been rebuilt. They probably didn't generalise the image during sysprep I can only assume before capture. Rebuilding the OS, seems to solve the issue. -
Dynamic DNS updates not being created but DHCP working
_techie_ replied to _techie_'s topic in Wired Networks
Yes ours is setup that way.... That's why I'm troubleshooting the issue! -
I am after a decent PowerPoint advancer app for iOS that connects to a Windows laptop and simply utilises the arrow keys to go back and forward. We have tried Kensington advancers but they are sometimes intermittent with the hall laptop as each member of SMT has one, and they all use them in the hall laptop for assemblies. Each member of SMT also has an iPad, I thought we could utilise these wirelessly and save the USB ports from wear and tear! I have tried iClickr Remote Mouse PowerPoint Remote Remote Mouse worked the best but only niggle is that on two finger mouse action you get the context menu pop up to go back. The others were just dreadful! Intermittent, drop outs and I can't see SMT using them if they are this problematic. Any other ideas?
-
Do they have Intel CPU's? If so you could always get them to boot from Win7 through boot camp and use ThinKiosk from thinscaletechnology.com to hook up to Citrix. Win7 could always be domain joined and be the default boot location too, so you can control them via GPO.
-
Dynamic DNS updates not being created but DHCP working
_techie_ replied to _techie_'s topic in Wired Networks
No I haven't... Can you do this via GPO? -
Dynamic DNS updates not being created but DHCP working
_techie_ replied to _techie_'s topic in Wired Networks
@jbutlin Hi. Not not assigning the PC's IP manually. They are getting them from DHCP correctly, just not registering back to DNS. They are different models (DELL Optiplex 790's and HP DC5700's, but same model in different rooms). I have tried removing an account from AD and re-adding to the domain. I think a rebuild of the suites during the Summer with fresh LAN cables might do the trick. Keep things simple and slowly build up... Thanks for the suggestions however. :-) -
I have built a new VLAN for our PC suites. Everything is fine apart from certain PCs not updating DNS records dynamically when booting. They do however get a DHCP lease and operate without error as an end user would experience during logon and normal use. I have tried the following with no success!: Different CAT5 cables and in different switch ports on the same switch Updated switch firmware to latest from HP in suite. Updated NIC drivers on machine. A brand new Win7 WIM built from the ground up (install.WIM added to WDS, and captured back after sysprep/generalise etc etc), deployed to same model with latest drivers. If I manually register DNS on each PC that fails, it's fine, but I really want to fix this issue. Aside from updating core switch firmware, I really at am a loss as to why this isn't working. No errors in eventvwr on PC for System or DNS on PC or DNS server. We do have allow dynamic updates from non AD sources turned on at server level. This was done before I started due to the high level of Apple devices now on the LAN/WLAN. Most PCs on new VLAN are operating okay. We just get the odd ones that don't work. I can only think dodgy NIC in the PC otherwise. Any suggestions?
-
Post #8 here describes the entire thing. I stole this from Adam, and it works a treat: Can we get a new BGInfo for Windows 7? - Sysinternals Forums - Page 1
-
I have a script for this. You will need a wallpaper and custom BGI file (easy to create). I made several size background images for screen sizes: 1280x1024 1280x800 Gets harder with dual screen setups as you have lots of possible screen sizes in widths dependant on whether you have 1x 16:9 or 16:10 screens or multitude setups. For computer suites its dead easy however. I'll post it tomorrow, as I copy everything to the machine, from a network share, then run the command via GPO.
-
You need to get your Radius server to forward authentication to Lightspeed from Ruckus. If your using NPS it's fairly easy to do, just add in Lightspeed as a RADIUS client and you should be good to go.
-
Thanks Graeme. Got it working in the end. Created a new group for our Mac Auth devices in AD, then added in Wireless - Other to our Captive Portal Rule. This seems to have done the trick. We are using Trapeze controller, with a mix of WLA 332, 522 access points atm. I am looking at all our devices and Wireless infrastructure at the moment. A lot of the devices are iPads and Phones and are BYOD, so strictly off limits for 802.1X auth. Thanks. Mark
-
We have an existing Wifi Setup with clients being either WPA2 or MAC authenticated onto the network. Existing MAC authentications are being handled by RADIUS server running NPS which is working successfully without Captive Portal as per this guide. Our current issue is that BYOD for 6thForm was setup rather quickly, and used a WPA2 PSK which soon got used by all and sundry, and our 10.57.12.0/23 network soon ran into problems with IPs running out on the DHCP scope. We are trying to setup RADIUS authentication to the same NPS server with a new Network Policy of the following: Domain\6thFormWifi users Wireless 802.11 NAS Port Type IP of 10.57.16.0/24 (our test VLAN and SSID). This is being processed before the MAC auth Network Policy. In testing we get stuck. Either the rules are too tight and any device with a MAC account in AD and user account in the 6thFormWifi user group are allowed on, or only MAC accounts in AD can connect to another SSID with Mac auth on (hidden). Any ideas? Cheers Mark
-
Hi. Just looking at improving our Wired infrastructure, along with Wireless Access. The school has been built around a single VLAN (1) and subnet of 10.57.4.0/22, i.e. Not very optimised at all!! We are slowly running out of IP Addresses now, but I have started moving some PC suites and the iMacs onto their own VLANS with corresponding scopes of 10.57.10.0/23 and 10.57.15.0/24 respectively. I have also created a wireless SSID tied to the iMacs for our iPads located in the same room as the iPads use the Apple TV in the room. This is all working well now. I have started planning on resolving the following problems: 1) reducing the number of reservations in the original scope and VLAN. 2) categorising devices based on type (server VMs, server hosts and hardware' and reducing the original scope back to a /24 CIDR with wired connections. 3) making the core switch the new router, for all devices, however this will mean moving all switches onto a new IP range (was considering using 10.57.1.0/24 for this). Will this cause any issues/anything to look out for? Creating a number of Wireless SSID's based on device and security. Windows Domain Laptops School Owned Trusted iOS and mobile devices BYOD for Sixth Form :-( Staff BYOD Guest The only thing I want/need to know is how to use RADIUS to filter the BYOD to Sixth form students? I know this is possible, but any guides out there? Thanks Mark
-
Have you checked driver versions on the non WOL PC's against the working one? Go through device manager and check out the driver versions and the advanced tab. Enable PME if disabled Disable green Ethernet and make sure wake on magic packet is enabled. The BIOS also needs S5 Wake on LAN or remote wake up enabled depending on BIOS and hardware MFR. Hope this helps :-)
-
I have managed to get Arduino to install silently as a startup script. However, I keep getting the prompt to trust the USB driver. I have found that there is a hotfix KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2921916 I can install the hotfix silently before the Arduino install but can't successfully force a reboot between the msu and Arduino.exe /S. The reboot happens at the end of the install script after Arduino install runs, so I keep getting the trust driver prompts. Any ideas? M
-
Sounds like it could be NIC drivers, or something else, as its a different model PC. Maybe the network connection is duff as well (try a different cable etc etc).
-
Apple Configurator 2 seems to be reporting in Apps incorrectly installed on the device as well since I updated mine today. 9.1 only reported in one copy of each App and any removed Apps also did not show up, so they have even broken their own Apple Configurator, Mac Mini and VPP system with the update it seems. I have logged my issue with VPP support today.
-
Hi. I had this. It was down to having lockdown in the configuration profile that doesn't allow the name to be changed. If you temporarily remove the profile, from a specific iPad, does it work? Did for me :-)
- 413 replies
-
- apple
- configurator
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
After much fiddling this morning, changing the DC's IP address resolved the issue. Returning to its default IP, and the problem returned. Eventually the issue was traced to a route on the FW! Sorted, thanks guys for your input :-)
-
Thanks, From the physical DC. I can ping the DG of the VLAN its on. I can even ping my own PC, different VLAN and another switch. Pinging the FW is where it falls down. I have been told we have 2 core switches which host most of the fibre for the school. These are linked together in a trunk. Two switches are in our server room and a redundant loop is in place, to the two cores, but it has spanning tree blocking any broadcasts. I can ping only as far as the first core from the physical DC. The virtual DC can ping to the second core then onto the firewall and out. Does this explain it better. Cheers
-
Hi. We are trying to resolve an issue with a DC in Domain A to resolve a broken 2 way transitive Domain Trust with Domain B. Both domain controllers in Domain A are in VLAN 250. One is physical, one is virtual, both plugged into same switch (effectively), and both ports setup to be untagged on this VLAN (250). Physical one cannot ping Firewall in Domain A, and cannot be pinged across VPN from Domain B. Virtual one, CAN ping Firewall in Domain A, and can be pinged across VPN from Domain B, and vice versa (so this means my firewall config at both sides is working!). I can ping so far, before getting stuck with Physical DC, and cannot reach the firewall. Tracert also fails getting to the firewall, but can reach the DG on the core switch. Virtual DC can tracert and ping all the way to Domain A firewall and into Domain B and vice versa. The only difference is that Physical DC has a NIC team setup, could this be causing an issue? Cheers.
-
Veeam Endpoint Free with Backup and Replication
_techie_ replied to JScott's topic in Enterprise Software
Yes, although you might want to choose files and folders backup... The best option would be to do a P2V on the sims server, or build a new VM and get capita to assist you with a migration..
