Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_techie_

Members
  • Posts

    434
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _techie_

  1. Just considering an alternative to the continuing frustrations and annoyances of AV... Does anyone use Faronics Deepfreeze? Do you still utilise AV alongside it, or have you just stopped using AV, as it really does not need to be used, since most viruses come in via Pen Drives and poor internet filtering. I.e. Operate a 'wipe clean' state rather than a highly monitored state (AV) which uses vast amounts of time, with no real gain. How have you got deep freeze setup, and what do you allow? Ta Mark
  2. _techie_

    Laptops

    Try setting up a staff tester account with the same group membership as other staff. Then attach the student profile to the staff tester account. This will tell you whether its the profile, or the gp settings... My guess is the staff profile is screwed somehow, I had this when trying to open outlook with a specified prf file...didnt work, tried eveything, but to no avail. Tried a student profile...worked first time!
  3. Well...I spent most of Friday fiddling around with both redirected start menu's and group policy preferences, with not much luck I might add, so will stick with our original system of scripted start menu's at logon. Does anyone know how to manage the pop-ups that occur when logging on (we use an executable, for a login script), and wanted to find out how to setup trusted locations on the network, using group policy. I have already found the policy to trust printers etc, which I will dig out soon. This is for Win7x86 btw. Regards _techie_
  4. I have an idea that I could try, might give it a shot tomorow, and report back. We have pupils and staff in domain users, but also have seperate groups for pupils, and staff, so might try something, and see what happens :-)
  5. Just been playing around with folder redirection on the start menu using group policy. Very happy so far, and everything seems to be working okay. :-) However, I have a question which you might be able to answer? I have found out that you can redirect to different folders for different security groups, which is great, but is there a way to do the following: Have one start menu for both students and teaching staff, which is common between the two. Then append extra start menu items just for teaching staff to the common start menu, when teaching staff logon? Is this possible? I was hoping that I could reduce the need for duplicate items being required in seperate folders for students and staff, when all I really need to do, is add the extra items for staff. Cheers for any response! Regards _techie_
  6. Hi, I have a staff mandatory roaming profile that is shared. All teaching staff currently use OWA 2007, however, we have outlook 2010 rolled out to clients, it is just not used at present. I would like to I have so far managed to get outlook to start okay, and populate the outlook 2010 first run setup wizard automatically, but it re-appears at logon (because of being mandatory). I have since unlocked the profile, ran outlook, went through the setup wizard and it worked okay. Once I locked the profile again, and tried to run outlook, all I get is ("Outlook Cannot Start") error message. I guess its something to do with a setting in the outlook profile, which doesn't match up somehow. Anyway to remove the first run setup wizard altogether via a registry key etc? Cheers for any help.
  7. Hi, Just downloaded Password Control from Wisesoft, managed to register on the site, and got an email through to activate my account, which "says" it was successful. I would love to get hold of the registration code for it, but am struggling at present. Does anyone on here have the registration code, or point me in the right direction please. His contact page doesnt work either unfortunately, even after I have logged in! Thanks, _techie_
  8. Cheers mate :-)
  9. Hi, Is it possible to display the contents of a news forum for a particular course, as in the course itself (without using a block?), much like the site news. So far I think it is impossible, but is there a module or plugin which does the same thing? Thanks,
  10. Hi, We have just setup our photocopier as a black and white printer in our biology dept. Everything is now working fine in terms of printing, but we have had a small issue during printing and photocopying. If someone is using it as a copier, and another member of staff prints a document out, all the paperwork, gets muddled up. Is it possible to queue jobs from the printer, if the photocopier is being used? Not having much luck finding anyway of doing this from the Kyocera manual. We have papercut if it is any help. The model is a kyocera KM-2050, running on a 2003 printserver. Thanks, Mark
      • 1
      • Thanks
  11. Hi all, I can't seem to find AB Consulting as an exhibitor on the BETT website.. Are they going to be there, and if so what Stand will you be on? I was hoping to have a small chat regarding some small bugs we have had. Thanks, _techie_
  12. Thanks Navah0, Will you be at BETT this year, we might pop down, and see you? Cheers _techie_
  13. Hi all, We have a Mediacat setup in our main reception We are also running Moodle 1.9.10 on our VLE, and 2.0.1 on our new website. Does anyone else use both of these, and do you pull any RSS from moodle to your mediacat, and how did you set it up on screen? Thanks for your suggestions. _techie_
  14. I love our HP 4250 Mono laserjets. Coupled with Papercut, they really do go on forever, with very little maintenance. If you could get a lease on these, or OKI, I would recommend them. Also removing locally connected printers in offices, and possibly upgrading any photocopiers to network printers, can reduce your costs as well. Hope this helps!
  15. Yeah, I figured it out in the end, thanks for your help people!
  16. Hi, I am trying to do something particular in moodle, I have an aardvark theme, which I have modified, but the news section on the front page does not seem to fill the front page. It seems to be setup with dynamic width set, so if I add more text, it fills the width up appropriately. Is there a way in the CSS content to set the width of this to fill the displayed area fully? It would be most helpful. I have attached an image of the problem that we are having! http://www.chase.worcs.sch.uk/jpg/capture.jpg Thanks, _techie_
  17. Cheers mate, just got it of cnet... Ta all the same.
  18. Hi, At school, we have some excellent photocopiers, that can scan documents automatically into TIFF format on a network share. The only downside is that when multiple sheets of paper are loaded into the document feeder, the pages are grouped together as one multiple page TIFF document. This then means we have to load each page individually into the document feeder. Is there anyway to split a multipe page TIFF file? Cheers Mark
  19. I had wondered if you could do some sort of scripted install last night... Great minds think alike eh? Cheers _techie_
  20. We have some HP dc7700's which are great. We are now trying to get Windows 7 to install okay using WDS. All Seems to be fine, apart from the LSI modem driver. We have injected the driver into a wim, and re-imported back into WDS, then redeployed again, but without any luck. However when we try and update the driver manually pointing it to the INF, no joy. I guess this is the problem...but how to get around it! Running the setup.exe from HP, works fine, but I would rather this was in the WIM! Any suggestions? Cheers Techie
  21. Thanks Penfold, I was aware that we are sending logins in clear text...obviously not good. I wasnt aware that we can run certain aspects of the website in SSL. This is obviously what we need to do for both login to moodle, and also for the smb client. To know how to do this would be very helpful Cheers _techie_
  22. Yes, we have done this today, i was aware of some security holes thay have been fixed in 9.10...
  23. Hi, We are currently running moodle 1.9.7 on a debian box. We have added a mod/block from the moodle site called windows web directory, and configured the block correctly. When a student logs in, they can see the block, and click the link, but it doesn't connect properly. Checking the resultant link, it appears that it is requesting an SSL/HTTPS connection as part of the process. We are not running our moodle box on https at present, but I would ideally like to, but have read that some SCORMS dont work under https, and also that it can slow the server down quite a bit. Is there anyway just to allow https on certain parts of moodle, and is there a definitive guide on how to convert a working apache server to https, OR get windows web client to use http only (dont really like that idea to be honest). Thanks for any help... Cheers
  24. Hi, Since we are using moodle as an open website, i have setup pages od the website, as courses. To allow anyone to view the courses, I have set moodle to auto login as guest. When the homepage loads up for the first time, subscribe to forum doesnt show. However, once a user visits another page, then returns to the homepage, it shows up. I will investigate forum.php as a starting point. Thanks Mark
  25. In moodle, i am trying to use it as our school website, more as a collaboration tool for more staff to get involved with the updating and content on the website... We also use it for our VLE, hence the reason for using it over something like Joomla, so I had hoped to cut training etc...and have some skills crossover. So far it is going quite well, and we have managed to turn moodle into an excellent website. Anyway, back to the problem...is there anyway to turn off subscriptions on the news forums attached to the front page? I figured out/researched how to remove the topic outline which appears on every course, which I am using as pages on moodle, but am desperate to remove the link to "subscribe to this forum" once auto logged in as a guest. I guess I can comment the line out of the forums module .php file but where do I find/start. Thanks, Mark
×
×
  • Create New...