sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
I would go with something like MP3Tag rather than relying on WMP I started editing details within WMP and while the changes showed within it, when I looked at the MP3 tags, nothing had actually been changed. So maybe its just me, but it doesnt look like it actually edits the tags properly
-
Ive finally got 'permission' to implement a 10pm shutdown on everything - its amazing how much SMT drag their feet over something that will save money Ive been reducing the number of switches in cabinets - some had 2 switches but less than 48 active ports - so trimming them down Need to look into power saving on laser printers Teachers who leave projectors on are finally getting talked to, and all the new literature for teachers stresses how important it is to turn them off Im looking into turning off non essential servers in holidays/overnight but I can only really think of 2 or 3 that could go off. Everything else is better to keep running
-
My hours are 8.30 - 4.30 I dont normally come in any earlier but I normally stay till nearer 5 Even then I get sarky comments as im locking up at 4.55 - "hard day was it" "clocking off early are you" NO ive worked over my bloody hours already...should I say the same about you when you dont work through the holidays
-
I find Papercut far easier, more reliable and more modern than either PCounter or PMP. Great software PCounter when I used it, required every printer port to be changed to its own type and big problems occurred. Papercut doesnt require you to change any of that
-
Could people try this site and let me know if video works?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
^ youtube ones are easier to just use something like http://www.mediaconverter.org or http://www.file2hd.com/ -
Could people try this site and let me know if video works?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
yeah I did try that, wouldnt open in IE but played fine in VLC on my machine I didnt have any time to convert it so I took the file downstairs, installed VLC, and it would only play the audio. Dont understand it I'll try to convert it to wmv though, although not sure they need it tomorrow! -
Could people try this site and let me know if video works?
sidewinder posted a topic in General Chat
This has been a bloody NIGHTMARE For anti bullying week all the assemblys need to show a short film from the net. Its in flash format, why they couldnt provide a download I dont know. Basically, it plays all the way through on some computers, but on others it stops after a few minutes, when the kids are leaving the school in the video. It even, on one computer, worked fine yesterday but was stopping today All computers tried have IE7 and latest version of Flash The site is http://www.digizen.co.uk/cyberbullying/fullFilm.aspx You dont have to watch it all the way through (unless you want to), basically does the slider let you get further through the video once its buffered or does it zip back to near the start? They have managed to get on with their assemblies without it but it makes the IT staff look stupid I feel, even though Im fairly sure it must be a problem with the site Also, is it anti bullying week everywhere, or just in our school? -
We have about 10 seperate buildings so we dont have a lot of choice but to have a fibre running to each Currently we pretty much have a star toplogy with 19 seperate fibre links to about 16 cabinets. There are 3 locations where they are still daisy chained: one is an internal fibre link in the maths block, and there is only about 6 devices connected to the switch, one is to the PE office and theres only 4 points there and the other is our humanities which is the only area which is a bit of a bottleneck Its miles better than when I came - in the worst case there was 1x1GB fibre going to the art department (15 macs), daisy chained off that was the tech department (100 PC's) and chained off that was the IT department (32 PC's). So 147+ machines were running off a single connection. Needless to say speeds were ridiculous In the oldest areas there are just 2 pairs terminated to cabinets, in the newer ones 16 or 24. No more than 1 link to each cab though (with the exception of tech) because we just dont have enough capacity on the core switch (see my other posts about that...grrr) Some switches are stacked unfortuantly but until we get more capacity theres not much we can do about that
-
Anyone had any problems with Hp 1320 Printers recently?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Hardware
Thats the thing, we havent! The 1300 problems were an update that came with Windows update and we havent updated the 1320 ones at all either Looks like its just a few coincidences then, thanks guys -
Where do you buy new ones from? The place we get ours from takes old ones and recycles for free, maybe yours does? We use http://www.justlamps.net But you may have to be a customer for them to take them. They're only 30 seconds down the road from us so its easy for us
-
I only ask because I remember the stupid driver update a few months back that caused all 1300's to print everything on one page A few computers connected to 1320's, only that printer, have started saying, after months/years of working fine, that driver files are missing. Its a mixture of network printers added with scripts, 'local' network printers and USB ones. Reinstalling the driver from the original network location works fine. So not a massive problem, but annoying, and we have about 30 1320's so I hope it doesnt start happening more Anyone else noticed anything?
-
Should we buy 19" tft or 17" for normal classrooom use?
sidewinder replied to Kyle's topic in General Chat
Bigger isnt always better, we've got a small suite with 19" screens and it looks a bit silly, there isnt much room between workstations Its weird they have phased out 15" and now starting to phase out 17"...in a few years are they going to force people to buy 24" screens?! -
My documentation is fairly good, the main document with all the domain and server info is a bit out of date but I have all switch settings, cabling information, fibre runs etc mostly documented I would go mad if it wasnt all done, I remember a lot but I still need to refer to these things to remember how I set something up a year ago etc maybe Im just lucky because there is a fairly large IT team here, but I dont have much problem finding time to do it - most days there is an hour or so where nothing much needs attending to
-
Wow...I cant believe how much this post has pissed me off First of all Im a self confessed 'leftie' and also an atheist but I have got no problem with christmas being the dominant religious festival in this country (apart from it being far too commercialised) and I can also tell you that vast majority of Muslims, Sikhs, Jews, any religion you could name, have NO problem with Chritsmas - why would they? The problem is over zealous local council (and central government in some cases) idiots who seem to believe that every non christian would be offended. Its got nothing to do with them being liberal or left wing, just that they are idiots. To be honest from the way you talk it sounds more like you're a fully paid up BNP member rather than just someone concerned about over the top political correctness
-
Flat network, 1 domain, with 800 clients I have been thinking about setting up VLANS but there is the disadvantage I know next to nothing about how to set them up, and would it really speed things up to any noticable degree? I have to be honest I have noticed a lot of broadcast traffic from various devices when using Wireshark so maybe it would be worth it
-
Havent deployed it as such but have been installing it on all new images and so 75% of the school probably has it by now No problems so far apart from staff not being able to find the favourites icon and a few issues with the pop up blocker which I need to get round to hopefully sorting with the IE7 adm
-
App deploy is useful but sometimes the instructions are complicated and different people post different solutions, some say they work, others say they dont etc It would be nice as a sub forum here, like each release has a post and discussion and then when a solution is found then that is posted as *the* way to deploy it Plus I trust the people here more
-
I KNOW this has been talked about a bit before but I cant find any suitable threads from searching (no doubt someone will find me a link straight away ) Basically, if a student types a server name eg \\server1 into word and lets that become a hyperlink, they can click it and see all visible shares on that server, despite the fact if they type the same thing into explorer it will not let them see anything Its not a huge problem, because all our important shares are both hidden and well secured with NTFS permissions, but I would still prefer it not to be possible, because there are a few shares they can see, and of course once they are in explorer they can see the entire network and be able to see pc and printer names Any way to stop it?
-
Nah you can actually do a unicast to multiple machines. Obviously there is little point in it as it reduces the speed of the imaging, but we have used it in the past when we had problems with multicasting
-
I wanted to have a different set of restrictions for an OU of computers with music software on them, and loopback would have been perfect Couldnt get it to work at all though, both on the main network and a seperate test network, so as far as Im concerned it is a waste of time unless anyone can enlighten me as to why when I selected to replace settings its always ignored it and merged them
-
In what way? Ive got a nlite'ed and ryanvm'ed CD that I use for all images in school, and sysprep works perfectly
-
I loved that bit
-
How long to keep ex pupil work
sidewinder replied to ozydave's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We tend to leave the previous year 13's and year 11's accounts in a seperate leavers OU, with all their work intact, till about this time of year, when any students that have come back for whatever reason have done so Ive got the last couple of years of leavers work on a hard drive somewhere, will burn to DVD at some point, but I dont specifically keep them for any length of time -
4GB SD card for less than £15......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sidewinder replied to acrobson's topic in General Chat
First computer I used was a BBC Model B which my dad gave me in around 1990 Then I had an IBM 386, no idea how much memory it had, all I knew was how to load a few games from DOS First computer I had that I actually started to fiddle with was an unbranded 486DX 66 which had 16MB RAM and was later upgraded with a 2x CD Drive and Soundblaster 16 card Then I had an AST Pentium 100 with 64MB RAM, which unbelievably lasted me until 2000 when I started college -
Im not a fan of air con at all in IT suites, I detest spending time in the 2 of ours that have it. Now that cooler, quieter and lower power consuming machines are commonplace, I dont see any need for aircon in new rooms, as long as they are ventilated well enough. Our newest suite has 32 Core 2 Duos and while it is still obviously warmer than a standard classroom, its not unbearably hot like it would have been with a suite of P4's Air con to me is expensive and a huge waste of power. My NM was pushing to have it put in all locations where we have cabs - but it would be totally pointless because the majority are cupboards or corners of offices where doors are constantly open The exception is obviously the server room, it is fairly essential there
