sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
My girlfriend drove to work this morning as normal, but windscreen got hit by a stone en route - massive crack (2 actually). In the lower part of the windscreen on the passengers side. Picture: Luckily she works opposite Autoglass so she took it there and they said it's safe to drive and no chance of it shattering?! Was quite surprised. Obviously I will get it sorted but need to talk to insurance, just wondered if it is indeed safe? Also I assume it's not strictly legal to drive around with a massive crack anyway? It is out of the drivers view and very low down
-
One of our sites has only just been connected to our main network, so over easter I will need to join their PC to the domain. They have been using a general email address but it is just a btinternet one. Over time, hopefully we can change completely to a @schoolname.org address but for the time being they will still need to receive emails sent to the BT one. I could setup a forwarder on the BT account but not sure whether I can trust that. So is there a way of having our Exchange server fetch the mail from that address over POP3 and deliver it to an internal mailbox? I am assuming there is since Google seemed to turn up some results, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. We're using Exchange 2010 SP1. Thanks
-
I think it must be one of those universal laws, that if someone asks about podcasts, Ricky Gervais will be mentioned. Aren't they really old now?
-
Yeah AMT is the only one I still listen to regularly, it's brilliant. Also I know you said no news/tech ones but the wired.co.uk one is pretty good
-
Our junior school is in need of some new headphones, and the ones that we use in our senior school, despite being very good, are not adjustable enough for tiny heads. Only a year ago a set of these were bought: Heavy duty headphones - HD1010 DYNAMIC STEREO H/PHONE Hills Components UK But although they are adjustable enough the build quality is very poor and they are failing at an alarming rate. However the design, although bulky, works well. They've tried smaller ones before but the room isn't the quietest, so big ones that cover their ears are favoured. Does anyone have any recommendations?
-
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I looked at the display overlays and was over the price....so I think that's a no-no Also we've possibly got a spare 640 board so it would seem silly not to use that, it's just what height to mount it at, like you say if it gives the staff a bad back its no point but then the kids are 3-4 so it cant be too high
-
Just realised I forgot to reply to this - I tried and tried and tried that fix but it just wouldn't work whichever position I had the 'back stop' in the paper tray in. Just had to give up in the end as it was fruitless As it's 9 years old I think we're going to go for a new one, which is a shame
-
Our nursery would like to introduce some sort of interactive whiteboard/screen for the children to use. Now we've got boards installed in our junior school but most of the time the children can't use them (apart from in some cases where we have mounted them very low). The nursery would like the children to interact but also the display to be high enough for teachers to use. This for me rules out a fixed board and projector (the ceilings are very high so ceiling mounted wouldnt be great, and wall mounted might result in some bruised heads for the adults) so I was thinking either a height adjustable board and projector, or a height adjustable LCD/Plasma with interactive overlay - the entire school is SMART so while I have nothing against Promethean, for training purposes I would much prefer a SMART solution. So does anyone have any ideas for this, and does anyone know how much roughly I should be looking at for a) height adjustable board and projector (portable) or b) SMART display overlay and height adjustable stand (I realise I would have to factor in cost of the LCD in this) before I go and get quotes?
-
The problem now is that as the court ruled that graphics etc are copyright of the Premier League, they will probably increase the amount of these that are applied to the feeds to other countries, so people watching over here will be done for copyright infringement.
-
Interesting. Now that was the main reason why I didnt consider that at first, it was ambiguous and I just assumed it would be limited to 10. Still not very clear, but might be worth a go. Not purchased anything from the app store before, would I have to make sure the account that bought it was logged in at all times? Like for every teacher? To be honest I might just give it a go anyway and see what happens
-
We need this, and compared to buying from Apple or anywhere else, Ebay is so much cheaper for an unlimited systems sealed copy. Assuming my school is ok with purchasing from Ebay, are there any caveats or problems with licensing if buying this on Ebay? Just seems madness paying £3-400 when on Ebay its around £130-150
-
Apple announces OS X: Mountain Lion. Summer 2012 Release
sidewinder replied to Arthur's topic in Mac
Both my iMac and MacBook are now too old for this Tempted to upgrade my MacBook but then what's the point? I'm not really losing anything by still running 10.6 considering I just use it for internet, itunes and iphoto -
The place I used to work at has bought a 48U rack from here Open Frame Network Server Racks | RackSolutions UK since I left and by all accounts it is sturdy, well built and has excellent cable management. I'll probably be purchasing one myself later in the year.
-
The Register BBC Football The Guardian Twitter Edugeek only at work really unless I need to look something up at home. I love this site, but I try and switch off from IT at home!
-
School Remote Access - How do you do it?
sidewinder replied to tj2419's topic in How do you do....it?
I'm sure your solution works from the amount of posts you have made about it! It's just, as localzuk says, in the space of a few days you have gone from seemingly wanting to help people by asking them to pm you to it being sold and suddenly being a chargeable solution...the cynic in me says your contribution in this thread might have just been for the purposes of advertising your solution. -
4 should go at thye top. Then please post pictures of the results of 1 and 2
-
School Remote Access - How do you do it?
sidewinder replied to tj2419's topic in How do you do....it?
A company? So you sold it to yourself? Seeing as that website is registered to you. Nah, I'm good thanks. Something fishy about this whole thing -
Arrrgh Sharepoint - problems with external users access
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Enterprise Software
Yeah I'm surprised too I've attached some screenshots just in case im being really stupid. Sharepoint authentication type is set to Windows but that is correct isnt it? There is no basic option? The option I changed yesterday was the IIS authentication section within sharepoint -
Definitely an interesting idea, will be good to hear how it works in practice. Best of luck!
-
School Remote Access - How do you do it?
sidewinder replied to tj2419's topic in How do you do....it?
Scott - been reading this whole thread today and intrigued by your secrecy of your method of setting up DirectAccess..care to share the solution? Just a brief overview to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else -
Arrrgh Sharepoint - problems with external users access
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Enterprise Software
Everything is off except basic (and some ASP authentication which looks like it shouldnt be turned off) The error is indeed the same as if they are putting in their password wrong, however as they can log in from Chrome I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are inputting it correctly (though I suppose they could have typed it wrong first time and saved it, but seems unlikely) -
Arrrgh Sharepoint - problems with external users access
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Enterprise Software
Well I've heard back from him, he is still unable to log in with IE at home or at work, but can now log in at work with Chrome (I think Chrome probably worked all along - PICNIC) I've been looking at the IIS logs all morning and it seems like both the governors who cannot log in are using IE9, and it is definitely logging a 401 error when they try to enter their password. I've tried with IE9 myself and annoyingly it works fine. Read a bit about problems acknowledged with the 64Bit version of IE9 (this looks like what one of them is using due to the WOW64 in the browser string) and also IE9 on older versions of Windows (surely that is just Vista?) but no fixes. So I think I might have to admit defeat on this one, unless anyone has any ideas. It seems like they can all log in with Chrome or Firefox so they can access it, it is just ridiculous that they cannot login to a MS product with IE -
Am I mad? School broadband cost versus home
sidewinder replied to misources's topic in Wired Networks
Speaking from an Independant school POV, we pay around £4k for a 10Mb EFM line annually, but as an independant we don't get anything extra for that price, filtering, email etc we have to do in house. However, I still don't feel its a rip off. It could and probably should be a bit cheaper but there is no way I'd consider switching to a domestic ADSL connection. The reason being is that like others have said, that 10Mb is guaranteed, we always get that speed, up and down. Also if there is a problem I can be talkiing to someone at the ISP within minutes and they can get a BT engineer out within a few hours, thats the value of a SLA for me. Also, we use a standard ADSL connection in another office, and whilst it is roughly the same speed down, it regularly drops the connection, reconnects etc and speed definately drops. Not a huge issue in a small office or a home but that would get very frustrating in a school. -
Can I fit my double bed in it?
-
Arrrgh Sharepoint - problems with external users access
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Enterprise Software
Just tried this - noticed that although IIS was only set to basic, I still had Sharepoint set to Windows and Basic, so I've disabled Windows on SP now. Fingers crossed...waiting to hear back.
