witch Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 New Tosh Satellite Pro laptop. Comes with Vista but they provide a downgrade to XP. Installed it all, no problem, and then.... I can access the LAN settings button to put the proxy in, but everything is greyed out after that whether the laptop is logged on locally or on the domain. The antivirus picks up the proxy with no problems, and all domain policies are correctly applied so I don't think that is the problem. I have reseached on Google and followed all ideas but nothing has worked. I have re-installed XP from the disk in case that is the problem, with no luck. Any ideas gratefully received. Tosh support are slow to say the least
Arcath Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 Are you using a Toshiba XP disk? is there some silly utility for managing the network hidden away deep in the system tray?
Talorin Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 Just been looking at out Tosh Sat Pro - Running a standard XP install with no problems. Just a thought - Can you access the advanced button on the proxy settings - If you can make sure there is a tick in the box for using the same proxy for all protocols.
Michael Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 Do you mean the Advanced button to include exceptions is greyed out?
witch Posted July 7, 2009 Author Posted July 7, 2009 Yep - everything under LAN settings is greyed out I have 2 Tosh Sat Pros - one only a couple of months old, and they are absolutely fine - just THIS one that is causing problems... I have reinstalled all drivers (not that I should have had to) and searched for any weirdness but found nothing I have now tried installing XP from two other disks, and after the files load, I get a blue screen. This is very odd
mac_shinobi Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 Yep - everything under LAN settings is greyed out I have 2 Tosh Sat Pros - one only a couple of months old, and they are absolutely fine - just THIS one that is causing problems... I have reinstalled all drivers (not that I should have had to) and searched for any weirdness but found nothing I have now tried installing XP from two other disks, and after the files load, I get a blue screen. This is very odd download sata drivers , motherboard drivers etc and slipstream those latest drivers with an xp disc ( non toshiba xp disc ) and try again using nlite ( http://www.nliteos.com ) Also are there any bios settings for enabling IDE mode or something along those lines ? some registry settings here : Internet Options Greyed Out-No idea why?? - Tech Support Guy Forums Also maybe re registering all the dll's for internet explorer ( which ie fix does for ie 6 ) so might not be of any use also Are there any local group policies set on the laptop itself that have locked out the proxy settings.
Michael Posted July 7, 2009 Posted July 7, 2009 The issue isn't driver related but more a component of Windows which is causing this behaviour. Before re-installing XP, try downloading IE7 or IE8 from another machine, copy to a memory stick and see if this makes any difference.
L_Smith Posted July 8, 2009 Posted July 8, 2009 (edited) You can have a series of scripts/batch files to change the proxy settings. If you like I can email them to you? Edited July 8, 2009 by L_Smith Putting it in another reply as its useful for some people anyway.
L_Smith Posted July 8, 2009 Posted July 8, 2009 (edited) Create a text file and call it "Proxy.cmd" then paste the following into it: @ECHO off cls :start ECHO. ECHO 1. Home ECHO. ECHO 2. School ECHO. ECHO 3. Do nothing ECHO. set choice= set /p choice=Choose an option and press ENTER: if not '%choice%'=='' set choice=%choice:~0,1% if '%choice%'=='1' goto home if '%choice%'=='2' goto school if '%choice%'=='3' goto quit cls ECHO "%choice%" is not valid please try again ECHO. goto start :home cls ECHO. ECHO Loading 'Home' Internet settings ECHO. %SYSTEMROOT%\Regedit.exe /S %SYSTEMROOT%\disable_proxy.reg ECHO Settings changed! "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" goto end :school cls ECHO. ECHO Loading 'School' Internet settings ECHO. %SYSTEMROOT%\Regedit.exe /S %SYSTEMROOT%\enable_proxy.reg ECHO Settings changed! "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" goto end :quit Echo No settings have been changed :end cls ECHO If you see me close this window! Create another text file and call it "disable_proxy.reg" and paste the following text into it: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000 Create another text file and call it "enable_proxy.reg" (see the pattern building? ) and copy the following text into it: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main] "Start Page"="" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings] "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001 "ProxyServer"="eduproxy.bgfl.org:80" In the last file you can change the proxy settings (the text in bold) to what you like and the same goes for the home page. Once you have done this, copy these files to the WINDOWS directory, then place a shortcut on the desktop that points to Proxy.cmd. This probably wont solve your problem but it could be a work around and I find it useful. Edited July 8, 2009 by L_Smith Typo 2
witch Posted July 8, 2009 Author Posted July 8, 2009 Thanks but I need a permanent solution, and an explanation as to what has gone wrong and why it is doing it. Local policies on laptop - hmm - well I haven't set any so where would they be? I have now installed IE7 and Firefox with no change. This is driving me up the wall. It is a new laptop for a teacher and I am getting so much grief about it I am a bit loth to do anything major as it is a new machine. Just waiting for a reply from Tosh support - not that they are being anything like quick
Talorin Posted July 8, 2009 Posted July 8, 2009 Just out of interest - what drivers are you using for the NIC ?
witch Posted July 8, 2009 Author Posted July 8, 2009 Update: I got an identical Tosh disk from another machine (from a local tech, god bless 'im) because I thought that maybe I could reinstall XP. So, off it went, no problems. But Now it boots into XP and then starts again The company have FINALLY offered to replace it (thanks Simon of CPLTD) Let's hope (or pray) that the new one DOESN'T DO IT AS WELL Thanks for all your help 1
Haptic Posted July 8, 2009 Posted July 8, 2009 (edited) Update: I got an identical Tosh disk from another machine (from a local tech, god bless 'im) because I thought that maybe I could reinstall XP. So, off it went, no problems. But Now it boots into XP and then starts again The company have FINALLY offered to replace it (thanks Simon of CPLTD) Let's hope (or pray) that the new one DOESN'T DO IT AS WELL Thanks for all your help Always there for support on goods I sell hun you know that, Glad I could sort it for you nice and speedily as a DOA. new laptop on its ways to you for tomorrow talk about service hey Edited July 8, 2009 by Haptic
witch Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 right - update New machine - everything looks fine - took it home and installed XP - looked at LAN settings on IE - NOT greyed out - wonderful.... But....got to school today -put in proxy - ALL FINE but then I put it on the network and it isn't picking up the proxy settings - forced a gp update, ticked automatic detection, nothing. Could there be a firewall setting or other setting that is preventing it picking up the proxy settings? Currently doing a million windows updates - at least that is working! The teacher KEEPS coming in and saying hopefully - 'is my laptop done yet?' I know she doesn't mean to push me but I could cheerfully strangle her - what does she think I am doing in here - knitting???
bossman Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 @witch: Knowing you it could be anything!! Heaven knows what goes on in your little rooms with all your men on the end of the line hehe!! ;-) Right back to business have you disabled the windows firewall on the laptop? Have you since joining it to the Domain noticed any other faults? Is the XP media you use for installation in the first place reliable? Have you got access to another similar laptop to look at for comparison (obviously one that is working on the domain)? Have you ran a gpresult from the cmd and are all the group policies being applied correctly, what have you compared it to? :)
witch Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 (edited) Bossman: Yes No Yes No No, not yet. Currently doing updates from local log on Edited July 10, 2009 by witch
Michael Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 But....got to school today -put in proxy - ALL FINE but then I put it on the network and it isn't picking up the proxy settings - forced a gp update, ticked automatic detection, nothing. I presume you've joined it to the domain successfully? If yes, within Active Directory you need to move the computer object from 'Computers' to an OU where you've configured policies. I can't tell you where as everyone's Active Directory setup is different. Once you've moved it to wherever, run a gpupdate /force from the run menu. As a general recommendation I would configure proxy settings on the Default Domain Policy as every machine is required to go through the proxy to access the web. Normally I wouldn't touch the Default Domain Policy, but sometimes there are a few exceptions where it makes sense!
witch Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 Yes, and unfortunately this is one case where the settings ARE in the default domain policy and it IS being applied properly But still doesn't work
mac_shinobi Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 I presume you've joined it to the domain successfully? If yes, within Active Directory you need to move the computer object from 'Computers' to an OU where you've configured policies. I can't tell you where as everyone's Active Directory setup is different. Once you've moved it to wherever, run a gpupdate /force from the run menu. As a general recommendation I would configure proxy settings on the Default Domain Policy as every machine is required to go through the proxy to access the web. Normally I wouldn't touch the Default Domain Policy, but sometimes there are a few exceptions where it makes sense! I always made a seperate policy for those sorts of things and just drop it under the domain policy that way if it knackers up it doesnt effect the rest of it and still applies to the rest of the domain afaik Also presuming its link enabled and forced and done a gpupdate on the server and a gpupdate force on the client(s) ?
witch Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 I have done gpresult and it says all policies being applied as compared with another machine. I have done another gpupdate with no luck The policies work on all othe machines so I am presuming that links etc have been set up OK. I have put several machines, both PC and laptops on the domain since I have been here and I have had no other problems which is why I think this is machine based
Michael Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 I always made a seperate policy for those sorts of things and just drop it under the domain policy You can do this, but in practice it doesn't make any difference. Generally I don't think there's anything else I enable or disable at domain level. @Witch - Are other policies actually being applied OK?
mac_shinobi Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 You can do this, but in practice it doesn't make any difference. Generally I don't think there's anything else I enable or disable at domain level. @Witch - Are other policies actually being applied OK? Just means if the policy you create knackers things up it only knackers things up in that one policy ( which seeing as you are only trying to apply proxy settings imo just makes it a bit safer that way you dont naff up the default domain policy - could be wrong.
witch Posted July 10, 2009 Author Posted July 10, 2009 OK Final effort I took the proxy out of the domain policy, and put it back, and now (well, once at least) the Tosh seems to be picking it up. I verified that I could access the internet and got out quickly. I expect I will find out next week if it held the settings - actually, come to think of it, I won't as the teachers almost never log on to the network and it was working fine locally. So I'll just lie doggo until the problem raises its ugly head again. Thanks again guys (fellas? chaps? - never know quite what to call you collectively)
mac_shinobi Posted July 10, 2009 Posted July 10, 2009 OK (fellas? chaps? - never know quite what to call you collectively) We are the Borg Resistance is futile
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now