witch Posted January 12, 2010 Author Posted January 12, 2010 Check the following Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings Needs to be set to disabled or Not Configured Policy\User Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings Needs to be set to disabled or Not Configured It says that the precedence is the default domain policy - even though I am logged on locally...if I disable it doesnt that mean it wont pick up the domain policy when it is logged on to the network? Actually - and here is the problem - I CANT disable it as it is greyed out
Firefox Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 The problem that I've had with it is the HTTP/HTTPS traffic scan misbehaving and preventing web pages loading - it has a list of programs to consider browsers and treats them differently to other apps when scanning. I don't know why or how it causes a problem but it was just a suggestion to investigate - on some machines here when it's thrown a wobbly disabling the HTTP scan element brings back connectivity When you check these settings are you logged on with the account you intend to access the internet with? i.e the one with the greyed out proxy settings
Brpilot99 Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 Hiyah from sunny Christchurch !!! Just seen your post and thought I'd post a couple of ideas ..... I use the default domain policy to send out the proxy setting in User settings Internet Explorer Maintenance. I could create another GPO to do the same job of course ..... No ticks in EI ... Auto detect settings isn't needed .... Is the P'c picking up group policies generally? Dont forget to put your local DNS number in the DNS box under IP settings of the Pc ... Without this the logons can take longer and the grouppolicy processing will time out ... Anything in the event viewer? Just a few thoughts Cheers for now Brian Courthill and St Josephs
mavhc Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 I use auto proxy detection, then it works at home because it finds no auto proxy server. Except if you're using ff/chrome which don't notice the network's changed and check for new proxy settings.
chrbb Posted January 12, 2010 Posted January 12, 2010 I may have misread this (and after the day I've I may have done!) but if all you want is the ability to turn off the proxy away from the network try this thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/scripts/26813-proxy-proxy-off-app.html I use autoit and have some shiny proxy on/off buttons on users desktops.
witch Posted January 13, 2010 Author Posted January 13, 2010 I may have misread this (and after the day I've I may have done!) but if all you want is the ability to turn off the proxy away from the network try this thread. Yes, this is the sort of thing I want to use, but at the moment none of these sort of things are working - they seem to but when you look in the proxy bit, the tick is still there and the box is still greyed out!! That's the problem, and in fact exactly where I started with this. When I was originally handed the laptop I happily installed a 'proxy on, proxy off' tool and when it didn't work - the can of worms was open and all this started.... So..I have found a sort of work around. I have managed to force Firefox to NOT pick up the proxy settings from IE (no, I don't know why it was either) so at least the teacher concerned can use Firefox at home. But I am still left with the problem of why the proxy bit is greyed out even when off the network. I can modify the registry to get rid of the actual proxy IP but not the tick. I have tried ALL the suggestions on here and I am very grateful.
richj Posted January 13, 2010 Posted January 13, 2010 I've not read through the entire thread so apologies if this has already been suggested or if you know this isn't the case, but are you sure this is machine related. I had a similar problem once where issues manifested themselves on a particular machine. It turned out that the PC seemed to corrupt the profile of everyone who logged on, and the problem then transferred itself to another machine by corrupt profiles. It acted like a virus but we never found any virus activity. Does the same teacher have the same problem if they log on somewhere else? Do all users on this laptop have the same problem? I assume you're using roaming profiles? If you make sure all profiles are deleted and delete the users profile from the server, do they still have the same issue? Probably unlikely as I think you said this is a new build, but it's worth a shot!!
DMcCoy Posted January 13, 2010 Posted January 13, 2010 Is the proxy configured on the current group policy under computer or user? If it's currently configured as computer then this will override all user configured proxy settings.
Firefox Posted January 13, 2010 Posted January 13, 2010 Yes, this is the sort of thing I want to use, but at the moment none of these sort of things are working - they seem to but when you look in the proxy bit, the tick is still there and the box is still greyed out!! That's the problem, and in fact exactly where I started with this. When I was originally handed the laptop I happily installed a 'proxy on, proxy off' tool and when it didn't work - the can of worms was open and all this started.... So..I have found a sort of work around. I have managed to force Firefox to NOT pick up the proxy settings from IE (no, I don't know why it was either) so at least the teacher concerned can use Firefox at home. But I am still left with the problem of why the proxy bit is greyed out even when off the network. I can modify the registry to get rid of the actual proxy IP but not the tick. I have tried ALL the suggestions on here and I am very grateful. I guess another work around is to make the user a local admin on the machine. Can't remember if power user is enough.
witch Posted February 4, 2010 Author Posted February 4, 2010 And we are back again.... Same problem, different angle Teacher laptop - they use them 'locally' when in school (yes, I have TOLD them to log on to the domain to no avail). They are already administrators I need to change the user on a laptop. Not a Tosh this time, an HP Compaq Happily created a user locally - NO connection to internet or domain or anything. Went to put the proxy in and lo and behold, the damn thing is greyed out, this time WITHOUT the proxy settings, so something like proxypal wont work, as all it does is put in or take out the tick, not the actual numbers. This is ridiculous I just want to understand what is going on here so I can sort it out
Tunster Posted February 4, 2010 Posted February 4, 2010 And we are back again.... Same problem, different angle Teacher laptop - they use them 'locally' when in school (yes, I have TOLD them to log on to the domain to no avail). They are already administrators I need to change the user on a laptop. Not a Tosh this time, an HP Compaq Happily created a user locally - NO connection to internet or domain or anything. Went to put the proxy in and lo and behold, the damn thing is greyed out, this time WITHOUT the proxy settings, so something like proxypal wont work, as all it does is put in or take out the tick, not the actual numbers. This is ridiculous I just want to understand what is going on here so I can sort it out I know I haven't read through most of the thread but did you click advanced next to the proxy settings? It will grey out if "use the same proxy server for all protocols" is ticked inside the advanced window.
Guest TheLibrarian Posted February 4, 2010 Posted February 4, 2010 (edited) O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present O7 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present I saw your response, but couldn't decide if on the Toshiba you did remove these registry entries. I've reviewed the HijackThis log again, I still can't say that I can see anything else that stands out immediately although I now I'd be looking at other software on the PC. I did notice the Bonjour service (iTunes and other) zero configuration service, I don't think this would normally cause a problem, but given we can't find any other source I'd look at this next. There's some potentially useful information here too http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 Edited February 4, 2010 by TheLibrarian
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now