_Bat_ Posted July 5, 2007 Posted July 5, 2007 We were in the process of making an image for some of our laptops and after running sysprep, the image annoying threw up this error message when the laptop was next booted. It then reboots does exactly the same thing when windows trys to boot up again, so I end up in an endless loop! Research on the "interweb" tells me that a combination of Windows Media Player 11 and sysprep causes this error. WTH? How stupid... There appear to be several ways of working around this error, all of which are just as annoying and inconvenient as the next. Some people even said the workarounds didn't work properly, so I might have to start the image again from scratch. Take a point from team Microsoft, please! Has anyone else had this error before?
beast_gts Posted July 5, 2007 Posted July 5, 2007 I had the same thing. Ran Sysprep again and all is well.
kevin Posted July 5, 2007 Posted July 5, 2007 Had this afew weeks ago- ended up having to remove WMP11. Just let WSUS take care of it afterwards. Kevin
_Bat_ Posted July 5, 2007 Author Posted July 5, 2007 I have had to start again from scratch. Like other people have said elsewhere on the internet, the workarounds just didn't work properly. I couldn't run sysprep again as I couldn't boot into windows. This time I'll make sure WMP11 isn't installed *sigh*. You'd have thought that because ALL the software in question was made by Microsoft that it would work... oh... wait...
Southwell Posted July 5, 2007 Posted July 5, 2007 We had this problem once but it's all fine now, we use the following command in run: -mini -pnp -reseal -activate We haven't had a problem since this.
beast_gts Posted July 5, 2007 Posted July 5, 2007 I take an image of the system before I sysprep it. That way if (when!) sysprep kills it I don't have to do a full install.
_Bat_ Posted July 5, 2007 Author Posted July 5, 2007 I take an image of the system before I sysprep it. That way if (when!) sysprep kills it I don't have to do a full install. I guess I have learnt my lesson I guess I didn't think it would happen that easily... it wasn't really sysprep, it was WMP. What a strange program to be the culprit... oh well, at least it'll remove that bit of DRM
Bobo Posted July 6, 2007 Posted July 6, 2007 Ahhh we found the answer to it that actually worked... will find out for you, don't go rebuilding mate
Bobo Posted July 6, 2007 Posted July 6, 2007 Right, unfortunately I cannot remember which update pack did it as I found a site with all the windows updates for WMP11 but basically you have to do this: Get a machine that has WMP11 installed, look at the msobmain.dll file on your Pc and look at the date it was created. Look for all the WMp11 updates and install them, checking if the created date on the msobmain.dll has changed, once it has then put the dodgy sysprep image into that Pc as a second hard drive and copy the file over. This will sort the problem, promise. Sorry I cant help much more or do any more investigation right now I'm rushed off my feet just glanced at the forum while waiting for an install and didnt want to let you rebuild. Pm me Monday if you are still having problems.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now