Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Im planning on removing my last 2003 DC very shortly and raising the forest functional level to 2008 R2. However, this is the first i have done this and want to make sure i get it right has anyone got any advice.

I also run Exchange 2007, previous to this there was an exchange 2003 box that ran along side the 2007 box but this died and everything continued to work fine.

 

Thanks

Posted
Will i encounter any issues if i raise the forest and domain functional level to server 2008 R2 with server 2003 or XP workstations?
Posted

If the 2003 server is only a member you'll be fine. You can't up it to 2008 R2 functional if you have a 2003 DC in place.

 

Functional levels do not affect workstations (to my knowledge). You could still have a 2000 server box if you really needed to - not that I would recommend it!

Posted

Functional levels do not affect workstations (to my knowledge).

 

Not directly, but I'm pretty sure they do indirectly. Doesn't the domain functional level determine the policies available for managing domain members? For instance, Group Policy Preferences appears when you increase the domain level to 2008. For newer OS's like Windows 7, there is likely to be some policies missing at 2003 level to properly manage the OS. For instance, I believe .V2 profiles come with the 2008R2 level.

Posted
Not directly, but I'm pretty sure they do indirectly. Doesn't the domain functional level determine the policies available for managing domain members? For instance, Group Policy Preferences appears when you increase the domain level to 2008. For newer OS's like Windows 7, there is likely to be some policies missing at 2003 level to properly manage the OS. For instance, I believe .V2 profiles come with the 2008R2 level.

 

im 99% sure you can use gpp on 2003 domain level as long as you have a pc that can see/edit such policies

Posted
You do get additional 'options' moving to 2008 R2 functional level, however you can still use GPP at 2003 functional level. I know so for a fact, as I have several setups like this.
Posted

Ideally, if you can remember what has/had been done?

 

For e.g When the server failed, was it simply removed from the network or was it recovered and then removed gracefully from adsiedit?

 

Or was is simply removed from adsiedit?

 

I would 1st off start by running the ExchBPA and see what that moans about and then look at the config partition and see if you see any instanaces of Exch 2003?

Posted
Had a look it is still seen as a server in there, from what i can remember i didnt do very much as it worked with out it there and had not noticed any preformance issue. Please can you point me in the direction of removing it, I should be able to fire it back up as it was a VM that wasnt behaving correctly after running out of disk space, i ato increase the space but still had issues. I attempted to uninstall it but was unable to due to the default mailboxes being left behind as the previous NM had done the transition. So i just stuck with the 2007 box. I hadnt be in this job long when this happened any advice is much appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...