Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Restricting C Drive but Allowing Users local folder to save...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Is this possible? I've restricted my C drive from students but I would like a local cache to be available for them to save to. Is this possible? We have a folder redirection policy that makes their home folders "always available offline" but I've heard some reports of errors with this (though I think some may be user error), I would like to be able to open up a folder on their local machine they could possibly save to.

 

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted
We have offline folders and have never really had a problem with it. How would they save things locally - they would always have to use the same machine, wouldnt they?
Posted

Sorry for the late replies. We cannot fit a second HDD in these machines, they're netbooks, so not much to them. The computers do go offsite, we have a very large 1:1 initiative, the largest in our state. We have allowed students limited space on the file servers but they're attempting to save their text books to their drives, as these are large PDFs, they're eating into the space. I certainly wish we had baked these files into the image, but since we did not, it's completely not viable to reimage our entire district (with our current deployment of 1:1's that could be 15,000 computers).

 

I am able to copy these files via group policy but my login time shoots up to nearly 6 minutes, and that's with no traffic on the server while testing, so I'm concerned about doing that. I guess for now, we'll keep digging with what we've got.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...