Oops_my_bad Posted June 20, 2007 Posted June 20, 2007 Is there anyway you can stop server 2003 from granting "full control" on a users home path? This is the folder that is automatically created when you add the user in AD and give them a home path. I've had a few kids changing folder permissions lately. I will probs do a script which sorts out existing home folders but in the meantime want to stop this from the outset. Cheers
timzim Posted June 20, 2007 Posted June 20, 2007 I'd write a quick script using CACLS to change permissions. I guess you're only creating large groups of users once a year and individuals every now and then, so you can run the script for the former and just reset the permissions manually for the latter. To see the options for CACLS just type CACLS in a cmd window.
srochford Posted June 20, 2007 Posted June 20, 2007 I don't think I've ever found a way to change that default. I run cacls (or similar - I have phases of using subinacl or setacl; they can also fix ownership) on a regular basis to make sure everything is clean.
robknowles Posted June 20, 2007 Posted June 20, 2007 If I were you, as I've done at my school, I would disable (via group policy) the ability for students to see the Security Tabs on the files/folders properties screen. I don't see any reason why they need it.
Oops_my_bad Posted June 20, 2007 Author Posted June 20, 2007 Thanks chaps. I disabled the security tab in GP (can't imagine why this wasnt disabled in the first place). Of course this still leaves a load of folders with full control granted to the brats. I will leave this to my cacls script :twisted:
tarquel Posted June 21, 2007 Posted June 21, 2007 Having a blind day i think.... Can you tell me where that setting in the GP is? Now seems like a good time to check if I've done it or not on the pupils GPO. Cheers Nath.
apeo Posted June 21, 2007 Posted June 21, 2007 I use a hta script to create single and bulk users so all folder permissions are set that way.
Oops_my_bad Posted June 21, 2007 Author Posted June 21, 2007 Hi tarquel It's under User config -> admin templates -> windows components -> windows explorer -> remove security tab
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now