ICTNUT Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 (edited) Okay, i think it's okay to post this here as it's not a BETA issue, and i'm not sure it's a proper issue, so just up for discussion. Today was logged in as a normal user (i'll call her Alice) and on log off got this error: After which, just to be awkward, i did something i shouldn't. I took an email from the helpdesk, directed at another user (Bob) and clicked on the link at the bottom. Lo and behold, i could see the full details of the call and all the history, while it said i was still logged in as Alice. :s Very strange. So i log off again, no problems this time. Clear cookies, then hit the magic button on Bob's email, and when asked to login, login in as Alice. I can see all the gory details of Bob's stupidity. Can someone pls confirm it's not just an issue with me, Alice and Bob. Feel free to use Sue and Rita as your test cases...and Bob too if you must. Edit: Rita just updated Sue's ticket Logoff error - This only happens if you logoff while on the new incident screen, this is a known issue and has been tracked. Accessing other people incidents (crafted URL access or by clicking on a link in an email) - After having done some testing this morning I can confirm this is an issue and will be resolved for the April 2011 release. Edited March 15, 2011 by ICTNUT
vikpaw Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I'm not too sure I understand Vik. Sorry i was in a funny , physicist's mood this morning, and we love sending messages from Alice to Bob, preferably at 0.5 the speed of light! I double checked the case and logged on tracker this morning along with a squillion (ish) other minor tweaks. Apologies if they are duplicated. There were just the two issues, logging off after clicking new incident, causes error. And, user A can see user B's ticket, which is something i found on our my little php helpdesk too. It's no biggie, but if a clever tinkerer chose to fiddle then they could do so.
Edu-IT Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Thinking out loud here. With regards to logging incidents. What do people think about the idea of adding in an extra step which queries the KB for possible solutions BEFORE they get to submit the incident? I'm thinking Joe Bloggs go to New Incident and enters: "I am unable to print from the printer in my office. It says paper jam." Joe Bloggs then hits a button to add his incident but is first displayed a screen with possible solutions: "We have searched the knowledgebase and found the following possible solutions. If none of these solutions are relevant then please click submit below to send your request." The idea being that users use self help where possible. Obviously can be worded better but you get the idea?
vikpaw Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 That's what i thought OPSD did. I'm sure that's what MLH used to do, so it's like when you want to create a new thread in EG it shows you similar titled threads to prevent duplication. The feature i requested on tracker though was more to push people to get to the homepage first where announcements are pushed at them, and also they can see their current call numbers and common KBs. The smart search is a good idea and if it isn't on the cards, should be ...
Edu-IT Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I don't think it does it already. Unless I am missing it.
ICTNUT Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 That's what i thought OPSD did. I'm sure that's what MLH used to do, so it's like when you want to create a new thread in EG it shows you similar titled threads to prevent duplication. The feature i requested on tracker though was more to push people to get to the homepage first where announcements are pushed at them, and also they can see their current call numbers and common KBs. The smart search is a good idea and if it isn't on the cards, should be ... Vik you are indeed correct that this is what MLH used to do. It was thought about but as so few schools used the kb facility it was not placed as a priority for inclusion in OPSD. This is being added To the drop box so the framework will be there already.
vikpaw Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 No it doesn't but i thought it should do. i'm pretty sure it's mentioned on page 1 of this thread.
plexer Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I liked that functionality in MLH but I'd put money on the fact that I doubt anyone ever actually read anythign that was suggested. I think some work needs doing on the KB as I use it a lot for support. Ben
ICTNUT Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 I liked that functionality in MLH but I'd put money on the fact that I doubt anyone ever actually read anythign that was suggested. I think some work needs doing on the KB as I use it a lot for support. Ben Suggestions??
vikpaw Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 (edited) If they don't read it it's their loss. I would rather have it there, so when they complain about something not working or taking too long to fix, they can be shown that it is possible to help themselves. I've supported MLH from the beginning and we ordered it a year or two before even looking at implementing as i just wanted to tick that box. Sorry if i'm a bit behind on some of the developments, though i've tried to follow the thread as best i can over that time. I think the KB area is great. Admittedly i've only got 1 at the moment, i'm hoping to fill it with lots of little How-To articles. I'm also looking at making some mini video clips for simple tasks such as adding a printer, ejecting a memory stick, changing language, default date, etc . Not sure how to deliver those, as KB or a custom web page of my own. Searching the KB is great, however a user probably wont do that, if they get a live smart search, firstly of their own past calls, and then secondly of any KB articles with the right tags..? maybe if you tagged a KB with the name of the queue that the call would potential go to... This would be useful. Even if not for the end use, it's easier for an unskilled technician or even a sixth form helper / apprentice to use our previous catalog of help and pass the info on without having to do much of the troubleshooting. Edited March 15, 2011 by vikpaw dire grammatical errors of the fifth kind.
plexer Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Suggestions?? Oz, I will stick something up on the tracker mate yes I know I should have backed that up at the time but I was in a rush. Ben
Edu-IT Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I definately think that if you have a good, extensive library of articles in your KB then presenting possible articles before submitting the ticket would be helpful. It needs to be made clear to the user though that the articles may be helpful but that they can still submit their ticket. Then if it turns round that there is an article there already you can say look, here's the article. If you had have looked at this during the submission you could have saved time.
plexer Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 On some helpdesk systems that I've had to use for online providers I'm sure I've had to click on a check box to say I'd searched the k/b etc... maybe something like that thus if they say they've checked or read the solutions offered and you find they haven't then you can deploy the adjustment tool? Ben
Edu-IT Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 On some helpdesk systems that I've had to use for online providers I'm sure I've had to click on a check box to say I'd searched the k/b etc... maybe something like that thus if they say they've checked or read the solutions offered and you find they haven't then you can deploy the adjustment tool? Ben That is what I was referring to. Once they have entered their incident they could either get possible matches or a button which says "None of these solutions help. Please submit my incident". I've added a couple of other big ideas to the tracker if anyone wishes to feedback. 0000352: Automatic reminders - OP Software Issue Tracker 0000351: User / Staff tasks - OP Software Issue Tracker I don't believe that they're duplicates.
vikpaw Posted March 20, 2011 Posted March 20, 2011 (edited) help required. since yesterday morning been getting an odd error on the active incidents page and also when a call is updated. Invalid attempt to read when no data is present <- wont fill box with full dump. Anyone had this. no changes, tuesday and thursday all was well. yesterday morning fine also, apparently, then this. Thought it could be a windows update, but only installed one kb and uninstalling hasn't helped. No other obvious errors. Reboot didn't work. Windows Server 2008, - same on IE / firefox / server or clients. Wondered if it was linked to the number of open calls as we've just hit 30+, well, 9 open, 21 in progress.. and maybe that's a limit we've not hit before... edit: no joy. can search for some items but not others. occasionally get a script error with same error message saying invalid read. googling implies it's to do with some kind of check to see if a row is returned, but there should definitely be data returned, so it's having a fit about something. just playing now, and other incident pages work, but advanced search wont respond if i enter a space for searching, or if i look at in progress, so maybe i've clocked it. will try and put some calls on hold and see what happens. Edited March 20, 2011 by vikpaw addition
ICTNUT Posted March 21, 2011 Author Posted March 21, 2011 help required. since yesterday morning been getting an odd error on the active incidents page and also when a call is updated. <- wont fill box with full dump. Anyone had this. no changes, tuesday and thursday all was well. yesterday morning fine also, apparently, then this. Thought it could be a windows update, but only installed one kb and uninstalling hasn't helped. No other obvious errors. Reboot didn't work. Windows Server 2008, - same on IE / firefox / server or clients. Wondered if it was linked to the number of open calls as we've just hit 30+, well, 9 open, 21 in progress.. and maybe that's a limit we've not hit before... edit: no joy. can search for some items but not others. occasionally get a script error with same error message saying invalid read. googling implies it's to do with some kind of check to see if a row is returned, but there should definitely be data returned, so it's having a fit about something. just playing now, and other incident pages work, but advanced search wont respond if i enter a space for searching, or if i look at in progress, so maybe i've clocked it. will try and put some calls on hold and see what happens. Have been speaking with Vik over the weekend and it would appear to be an issue with his database, hopefully we have fixed his data issues and he is OK now but I am sure he will let us know
Edu-IT Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 I notice a new reincarnation of the OPSD website. Nice work! Blog is super slow to load though?
plexer Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Blog loads up ok here there is a load of content coming in from other sources though facebook etc... maybe that's an issue for you? Ben
Edu-IT Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Blog loads up ok here there is a load of content coming in from other sources though facebook etc... maybe that's an issue for you? Ben That'll be why then! Thanks Ben.
ICTNUT Posted March 21, 2011 Author Posted March 21, 2011 I notice a new reincarnation of the OPSD website. Nice work! Blog is super slow to load though? Yeah it is part of a new marketing stratergy we are putting in place and is an idea to tie all things together into a single brand. Looking into the blog today as we have noticed its slow, however it is being hosted via a 3rd party. Glad you like it though, have gone for the less is more look.
Edu-IT Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 Yeah it is part of a new marketing stratergy we are putting in place and is an idea to tie all things together into a single brand. Looking into the blog today as we have noticed its slow, however it is being hosted via a 3rd party. Glad you like it though, have gone for the less is more look. Did you get my email on Friday regarding the new forum? Vik will be pleased you're using subdomains! ;-)
ICTNUT Posted March 21, 2011 Author Posted March 21, 2011 Did you get my email on Friday regarding the new forum? Vik will be pleased you're using subdomains! ;-) Yes, have autorised you access to the beta forum, as far as subdomians go the thinking was to try and bring it all together and make it easier to navigate.
vikpaw Posted March 21, 2011 Posted March 21, 2011 (edited) Have been speaking with Vik over the weekend and it would appear to be an issue with his database, hopefully we have fixed his data issues and he is OK now but I am sure he will let us know It was. We have. He is. Doing so now - sorry for delay, massively busy day today. replied to your email, as i don't understand why calls were logged with no ownerid. between sending you the data and receiving the fix, 4 tickets gained an id, that or you counted wrong defo welcome the sub-domains as i can never remember where i'm going and for what. a single sign-in would be good, so that my account accesses, all my areas, i.e. purchase area, helpdesk, tracker, beta etc. Edited March 21, 2011 by vikpaw
synaesthesia Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 Is ICTNut on holiday currently? Applied for a trial of Smartdesk a fortnight ago and heard nothing back other than an automated email - and multiple phone calls unanswered
vikpaw Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 Is ICTNut on holiday currently? Applied for a trial of Smartdesk a fortnight ago and heard nothing back other than an automated email - and multiple phone calls unanswered Not that i know of, not that i would know anyway. However, he only yesterday updated a ticket on the bug tracker, so is working from somewhere. It might be worth sending an email, as they have been known to go astray at times. I'll drop him an email too, in case you don't have info, though it should be on website.. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now