MkII Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 Russ tells me the default config of cc3 is no access, although they have some fancy shmancy shared area thing. An update: My Head has cancelled all bets and made a decision before taking up the kind offer of Tony to speak with her. She has made a ruling that any member of staff that requests it can have full write access to students work directly in thier home area. I set up a discussion on the topic but ended up being attacked and accused of trying to force the Head Teacher to do what I said. All along It was said that this was her descision to make. She'd asked me to gather facts which I did, and present reasons that full access shouldn't be given. In the end I think it's her that carries the can, and I said that I was happy to abide by her descision. It all went horribly wrong I shouldn't say more for fear of litigation here. Suffice to say, watch out for the politics!
GrumbleDook Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 I feel for you Mark. All I can say is make sure the backups are good and plenty, document every cock-up that others make and cover your back. Yep ... it is the Head's decision, and if it goes wrong just make sure you are not the scapegoat ...
Ric_ Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 Make sure that you document who ha access if it is on a per user basis!
ChrisH Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 Make sure you have auditing on as well so you can see who has done what.
MkII Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 Ric: The write access for staff that request it is on all student files/ folders. I can't think of an efficient way of enabling access only to specific users - I only have users grouped by year. Class groups are fluid.
Ric_ Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 Sorry, I meant that you would be giving the access to specific users not giving access to specific user folders (although this is possible too - just a pain in the arse for you to manage). Just make sure you draft out a policy that the member of staff must sign to accept responsibility, etc.
MkII Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 I can't get anyone to sign anything. I can't even get an email to instruct. It feels like we can operate outside the law.
tarquel Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 Same here - I dont even get to know if a pupil hasnt signed their AUP.... what a mess lol N.
Ric_ Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 The solution to getting signatures is simple... don't enable the required access until you hold [a copy of] the signed piece of paper.
MkII Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 I was told in front of someone else, then told there's your authorisation - now do it. I have been told not to email because they want to conduct all communications verbally.
Ric_ Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 My Head says it in front of someone else, then says there's your authorisation - now do it. She has also told me not to email her because she wants to conduct all communications verbally.Sounds like a disaster - where's the accountability... OFSTED will come down like a ton of bricks!
E1uSiV3 Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 My Head says it in front of someone else, then says there's your authorisation - now do it. She has also told me not to email her because she wants to conduct all communications verbally. Tell her bollocks mate, (in the politest possible way of course). Theres no way in hell she can force you to do something you think is wrong (and possibly against the data protection act?). She cannot sack you for not doing something under these circumstances. The next question is are you in a union? if so phone them. This is what they are for. I had this a while back at my old job when they wanted me to go diving into staff mailboxes with no signed AUP and no auth from the head teacher so i stuck to my guns and said no. Paid off in the end as i got the email i wanted to cover my own back. The very nature that she wont sign a piece of paper shows me that she doesnt think shes doing the right thing or doesnt even understand the situation, and wants a scapegoat if something does erupt. Bottom line is, dont do it without written auth, its not like your asking for the kingdoms riches, just a squiggle (which they freely sign whole budgets away on crap already...) Good luck mate and remember, phone your union!
GrumbleDook Posted December 9, 2005 Posted December 9, 2005 You could also seek advice from your local authority too ... if they say that you can't do things then you have someone higher than her backing you up.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now