jdell Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 I am in the process of turning a group of laptops into exam ready laptops. For this I need on a local non networked PC to lock a user out of all applications other than that of Wordpad. All I have done so far is made a user "examuser" on the laptop and then tried using gpedit.msc to set the black list of application to everything, however this just does not work the user can still seemingly run all other applications and not only this but its bloody time consuming and I have another 6 to do like this, I really need help with an easy way to make a user can only access wordpad, save it and do nothing else. HELP ME!
FN-GM Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Why not put them on the domain and remove network access?
caffrey Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Cant remember everything I did, some local GPO to hide drive letters and stuff But when we repurposed some old laptops with XP, i changed the shell itself to wordpad - work is saved onto a pendrive. To save doing them individually, why not clone (then keep a copy for an emergency)
localzuk Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 We have an exam user account that works on normal network, locked down with GPO and a mandatory profile. Combine it with something like Impero and you pretty much have your back covered.
cpjitservices Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 (edited) I've never heard of needing a non networked machine for Exams.... the 2 schools and the college I was at both had Networked Machines for exams.. Both had different sets of policies for the network and Internet - only certain sites where allowed they couldn't browse the network - and the user account assigned to them had only what they needed - extra lock down policies and start menu only had notepad and office and documents stored on Desktop and I think the profiles where even on a different part of the server, at the college the range of IP's for the Exam rooms where different from the main network so we could apply different web polcies. Edited March 28, 2012 by cpjitservices
jdell Posted March 28, 2012 Author Posted March 28, 2012 Hi guys thanks for the replies. The specific requirements sent through from the examining body where that the PC's because of the exam's that they are doing cannot be networked. As we do have a domain account set up for this kind of thing, however for these exams they have asked that we adhear to a set of rules they sent us this means, I have to ensure they have to network ablity and no access to any other functions outside of Wordpad, So all I need to do it just hide all the applications, Icon and lock them out of them. So there is no chance they can cheat.
cpjitservices Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 go into the user account and manually delete everything except for wordpad, remove everything from the start menus etc etc, and block access to drive C: using gpedit.
Steve21 Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Hi guys thanks for the replies. The specific requirements sent through from the examining body where that the PC's because of the exam's that they are doing cannot be networked. As we do have a domain account set up for this kind of thing, however for these exams they have asked that we adhear to a set of rules they sent us this means, I have to ensure they have to network ablity and no access to any other functions outside of Wordpad, So all I need to do it just hide all the applications, Icon and lock them out of them. So there is no chance they can cheat. Out of curiosity, What exam board? Never seen that requirement in any of ours. It's just no access to shared drives etc, not "no network access" that I've seen. Steve
cpjitservices Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Out of curiosity, What exam board? Never seen that requirement in any of ours. It's just no access to shared drives etc, not "no network access" that I've seen. Steve Same here - even in the Cisco Network Academy!
jdell Posted March 28, 2012 Author Posted March 28, 2012 To be honest I don't know I am just the one given the stupid jobs! . The paperwork I had forward to me was just a list of do and do not's for these accounts which my NM sent me. So I don't know sorry.
Steve21 Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 To be honest I don't know I am just the one given the stupid jobs! . The paperwork I had forward to me was just a list of do and do not's for these accounts which my NM sent me. So I don't know sorry. Might be worth asking your NM, as it seems a lot of extra work to setup what you're asking if you don't need it. Steve
Danp Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 We have standalone laptops on W7 with Office 2007, spell check, thesaurus, translate etc all disabled.
jdell Posted March 28, 2012 Author Posted March 28, 2012 We have standalone laptops on W7 with Office 2007, spell check, thesaurus, translate etc all disabled. What other additional settings have you added to cover the rest of the applications on the system
localzuk Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 What other additional settings have you added to cover the rest of the applications on the system Don't install any other applications? And make the profile for the account mandatory, with a fixed start menu etc...?
Danp Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Don't install any other applications? And make the profile for the account mandatory, with a fixed start menu etc...? Exactly how we do it
6Foot2 Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Exactly how we do it Same here. Until Spring this year we were using re-purposed laptops but as there was no budget to cover these they were old and 'cranky' We also found the we did not have enough to cover the students who were given dispensation to use a computer rather than hand writing the script. All going well so far...
scottpowers82 Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 Kind of odd that it can't be on the network at all as that can really be the best way to lock it down using GPOs. I have had to set this up several times this year (just used it last week actually) and I just setup a ResctricedApplications OU and set it up so that only WordPad.exe can be used. That way, they are unable to open up even a text file, let alone any browser to get on the internet. You can find the GPO setting under User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Run only specified Windows applications. Then just set WordPad.exe as the application. Works great here for our students.
Danp Posted March 28, 2012 Posted March 28, 2012 For our controlled assessment users, they have a different user on our RM system that is highly restricted, (no internet, no shared areas, no removable drives etc) and that only gives them Wordpad and Jarte (FREE Word Processor Based on Microsoft's WordPad Engine)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now