alan-d Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 I think I have this right but just want confirmation. We going to install a new server to host SIMS.net as the old one may struggle a bit with the SIMS upgrade later in the year. Anyway - Apart from installing and licencing Server 2003, am I right in saying that for MS SQL 2005 we need 1 x Processor licence and CALs for each client that accesses SIMS at any one time? or Can we just have 1 x processor licence as the clients don't actually access the MS SQL database directly but via SIMS. I believe the first option is correct but I can't understand MS licensing at the best of times and today is not a good day
klawd Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 Sounds right - thats how we were advised and how we do it. Unless your server is dual processor, then you need 2 processor licenses, natch.
Norphy Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 There are two licensing models for SQL: Per CPU or CAL. If you buy CPU licences, you don't need CALs. The alternative is to buy the CAL licence (which is significantly less than the CPU one) plus buy the appropriate amount of CALs to go with it. Work out how many users are likely to be using the SQL Server and choose the one that is better value for you .
NetworkGeezer Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 if you're already on a volume licesing program like school agreement or select wouldn't it be cheaper to license by CAL as the ones for SQL are aleady included in the bundle.
ZeroHour Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 How does the web serving figure into this? I have a site that has content in a MSSQL 2005 server. Only the iis account access that mssql. Assume I have 1 cal and nothing else accesses the sql. Does that mean I have to licence per web user that ever hits my site or license per user concurrently connected or do I just need the 1 cal as only 1 account is actually directly linking to the data?
Midget Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 SQLServer 2005 can have a CPU Licence without the need for CALs. We've just been looking into this and we got quoted ~£900.
petectid Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 How does the web serving figure into this? I have a site that has content in a MSSQL 2005 server. Only the iis account access that mssql. Assume I have 1 cal and nothing else accesses the sql. Does that mean I have to licence per web user that ever hits my site or license per user concurrently connected or do I just need the 1 cal as only 1 account is actually directly linking to the data? This is why Microsoft has the CPU licence.
ZeroHour Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 Yeh thought it may. What do they count as per cpu? I heard ms dont care about cores just physical cpu's? Does this policy apply for sql? Cheers for info btw
Ric_ Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 @ZeroHour: IIRC per 'CPU' is per 'physical CPU'. This counts for SQL too. If you have a single processor Quad Core then you need 1 license. If you have a 4-way single-processor box you get stung for 4 licenses. A bit tight if you ask me!
steve Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 Per CPU is per physical CPU not per core. Prices I have (Pugh Nov 06): £114.4 for Standard SQL, plus £16 per CAL £740.8 for Standard SQL (1 CPU) So for a single CPU, if 40 or more CALs - licence per processor For 2 CPUs, if 85 or more CALs - licence per processor SQL CALs are extra under the schools agreement, not included in core CALs. For sims we are going the per processor route - 2 quad core, licence per processor for 150 users.
localzuk Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 SQL CALs are extra under the schools agreement, not included in core CALs. I was checking this today and they are included in the 'Core CALS' pack which is included in the Desktop suite. http://www.microsoft.com/Education/SA3Overview.mspx
Ric_ Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 Something else worth noting is the 'free' version of SQL.... SQL Express. This does have limitations (such as 4GB database size, single CPU limit and 1GB memory limit) but may be sufficient for tiny schools or for use with web apps. Check out http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx for a comparison table.
tosca925 Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 We been quoted £750 per CPU and we have a dual CPU server..................£1500 to find.
ZeroHour Posted May 9, 2007 Posted May 9, 2007 SQL CALs are extra under the schools agreement, not included in core CALs. I was checking this today and they are included in the 'Core CALS' pack which is included in the Desktop suite. http://www.microsoft.com/Education/SA3Overview.mspx Are you sure? I cant seem to find anything to confirm this (so far...) If it was included damn that would be very very useful.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now