ctbjs Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 We are moving schools early next year and in advance of this we want to convert all our VHS videos to either DVD or a useable file format. We realise that if we use the file format that it will take up copious amounts of space and we have taken steps to provide the appropriate storage space for this. My question really is what do you guys use to do this and I am open to any "sensible" suggestions. Chris
sycho666 Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 At our school, we have a VHS /DVD combi player. We just do a straight copy from VHS to DVD using this. Just start it going and leave it to it. Samsung make a reasonably good one, for not too much money. Try the Samsung DVD-VR320. Only problem we have found with it, when copying from VHS, if the tape is dodgy, and breaks up, then the player interprets this as the tape has finished, therefore stops the copy. You just need to restart it, and it carries on, but if its a really bad tape you could be doing that all day.
localzuk Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 Have you got permission from copyright holders/are you allowed to do this via the license for the vhs's? Other than that, there are a couple of options, a unit like the one sycho666 has or a tv card in a computer and a dvd drive. Both have advantages and disadvantages (the way the vhs is copied may have issues such as those described above if using a dedicated unit, you may have things like sound sync problems with computers etc...).
openhgs Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 If you use a separate VCR and DVD recorder, then it doesn't matter if the picture breaks up due to a dodgy tape; the DVD recorder will keep chugging away. I recommend a recorder with a hard disk. A video filter such as ICOS Technology MacroMaster Gold, which sits between the two machines is a worthwhile investment. In my opionion, converting to some computer file format (eg mpeg) isn't worth the hassle. DVDs take up almost no space.
Andrew_C Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 I'm doing lots of conversion with ClickView. Not without its issues, but once done it looks like it will do a nice job of serving the content to the classrooms. I've got two Hauppage cards in a machine here with two VCRs feeding it (anyone tried buying a decent VCR recently? I ended up with Daewoo...) Alternatively, as suggested above, VCR into HDD/DVD writer. This gives you the option of cutting adverts, and organising your collection prior to burning the DVD. Ensure you use 'proper brand' DVDs. I've got 25 useless disks here. They won't play in anything, not even the machine they were written on. Added Clickyness
plexer Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 That clickview solution looks interesting any cost details? Ben
limbo Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 To DVD would be your best bet using a DVD recorder. We do sometimes get asked to convert Video to a file to go into powerpoints or onto the website. When this is the case we use Media Encoder with an Osprey Video Capture Card (better, but more expensive, than your average capture card). We use .wmv as a file format for this because it works well with the website and streams without any messing about.
zag Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 I just use a vhs connected via a scart to composite cable with a tv tuner card in the pc. Run movie maker, play the video and capture it to wmv direct.
sirat Posted May 17, 2013 Posted May 17, 2013 I had a large number of children's films on VHS including a lot of Disney full-length animations that I wanted to put on DVD to send to my grandchild in Australia. I tried copying but of course Macrovision protection made it impossible. So I bought a device called the Macromaster Standard from these people: I.C.O.S. Technology MacroMaster+ from DVD European for £43.90 including delivery. It's a filter device with built-in mains power supply and SCART input and output, no controls or adjustments. Using this between cassette player and domestic DVD recorder I was able to copy all my tapes without any quality loss that I could see on either picture or sound. Not dirt cheap but worth the money in my opinion. No downside that I have been able to discover. I would recommend you use good quality DVD+R blanks for copying films. They seem to be better accepted than DVD-R, especially by older players. Since VHS video isn't very high definition to begin there is little or nothing to lose by recording in LP mode to get 4 hours on each disc. I am very pleased to have saved all my old films from the recycling centre.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now