PEO Posted November 16, 2011 Posted November 16, 2011 Hi Im having a stupid issue with applying a background image to the staff desktops. Its applying but then a blue background appears over the top of it. Servers 2008 R2 Desktops xp pro sp3 just a note this works fine after two logins on the student accounts, so its just staff that are been effected. I know its a GPO setting but not sure where to look to adjust. by the way here is the logon script that I've used to apply desktop wallpaper Set objWMIService = GetObject("Winmgmts:\\.\root\cimv2") Set objSh = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell") Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * From Win32_DesktopMonitor where DeviceID = 'DesktopMonitor1'",,0) For Each objItem in colItems intHorizontal = objItem.ScreenWidth intVertical = objItem.ScreenHeight Next strResolution = CStr(intHorizontal) & " x " & CStr(intVertical) Select Case strResolution Case "1024 x 768" strWallpaperPath = "\\bishopsgarth\dfs$\Public$\WALLPAPERS\1024x768.bmp" Case "1280 x 1024" strWallpaperPath = "\\bishopsgarth\dfs$\Public$\WALLPAPERS\1280x1024.bmp" Case "1440 x 900" strWallpaperPath = "\\bishopsgarth\dfs$\Public$\WALLPAPERS\1440x900.bmp" Case "1920 x 1080" strWallpaperPath = "\\bishopsgarth\dfs$\Public$\WALLPAPERS\1920x1080.bmp" Case Else End Select 'Set the reg value objSh.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper", strWallpaperPath, "REG_SZ" 'Apply the change objSh.Run "%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters", 0, False Can anyone help?
Hightower Posted November 16, 2011 Posted November 16, 2011 I had this problem, turned out it was down to a recycle bin GPO setting. See this thread here, might help: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/71207-gpos-wallpapers-disappear.html 1
FN-GM Posted November 16, 2011 Posted November 16, 2011 If that fails you could use BGinfo to set the wall paper (you dont have to have the BGinfo text showing)
PEO Posted November 16, 2011 Author Posted November 16, 2011 refuse to use bg info, as I said the script works fine. she students get the wallpaper but the staff are getting a blue background overlaying the wallpaper that I've set. @Hightower I explored your suggestion but that was not the solution
Shuriken1 Posted November 17, 2011 Posted November 17, 2011 Check that active desktop isn't switched on and somehow putting the blue over the top. Also, try rewriting your script so that the background images are copied down to each computer and then have the script reference the local files. I've heard of similar problems trying to set a background to a network-shared image. I do by copying the images down first and I've never had a problem. Hope it helps.
Michael Posted November 17, 2011 Posted November 17, 2011 You can deploy a desktop wallpaper using GPO. This'll work with 2000, XP, Vista and 7. User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Desktop > Desktop - Desktop Wallpaper - Enabled You can also set it to fill, no matter what the native resolution of the image is.
FN-GM Posted November 17, 2011 Posted November 17, 2011 I can see why you have used that script it will select the correct wallpaper for the correct resolution. I may borrow it if you dont mind?
FN-GM Posted March 29, 2012 Posted March 29, 2012 Did you ever fix this? I sorted it by disbaling active desktop and using .bmp images instead of .jpg.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now