RobD Posted April 4, 2007 Posted April 4, 2007 Hi All, I've recently been playing with some print management software called Print Manager Plus which basically gives users of your choice a certain amount of money which they have to spend on prints, hopefully to cut down on wasted paper and toner etc. The problem I have is the client side software which I have to obviously deploy (preferably via Group policies), unfortunately all I have is an exe file (I've asked for a msi without luck). I'm guessing the best way is using a script (batch?) to deploy it but am not sure how to go about this because I don’t want the software to install every time I reboot the PC! Can anyone help or give any other advice around this??? Thanks in Advance Rob
ChrisH Posted April 4, 2007 Posted April 4, 2007 I would have thought there was a deployable solution given it's popularity. Have you tried the obvious setup /a etc ? Other than that if it will do a silent install you can use the "MSI installer Wrapper Wizard" and deploy it through group policy.
RobD Posted April 4, 2007 Author Posted April 4, 2007 Yeh setup /a was the first thing I tried, I emailed them and asked for a solution so they sent me a silent install exe file.....not very helpful! ill have a look at MSI installer Wrapper Wizard
Ric_ Posted April 4, 2007 Posted April 4, 2007 If you have a silent installer, you could always run it in a startup script after checking if the client if already installed.... something along the lines of a betch file containing if not exist "c:\path to\client.exe" "\\server\path to\client installer.exe"
ctbjs Posted April 5, 2007 Posted April 5, 2007 Hi Rob I had the same issue here but I repackaged it using WinInstallLe and it works fine now.
EvLPhenom Posted April 5, 2007 Posted April 5, 2007 ctbjs, that was exactly what i was going to say. Just repackage it using WinInstallLE and then deploy as usual. @Rob, if you need any help using this software give me a shout and i have a short user guide on how you can use it.
leon Posted April 11, 2007 Posted April 11, 2007 double post - anyone else getting alot for forum lag?
leon Posted April 11, 2007 Posted April 11, 2007 Do you mean the EUIT? It runs fine from a share there's no need to deploy it. http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7426&highlight=euit I just have a shortcut to it in the startup folder of the users who need it. Don't forget it won't display a balance until they've printed for the first time. Last time I spoke to Software Shelf they said an .msi is in the offing however.
Geoff Posted April 11, 2007 Posted April 11, 2007 anyone else getting alot for forum lag? I believe I have accidentally slashdotted us.
RobD Posted April 16, 2007 Author Posted April 16, 2007 Hi All, Just to let you all know I've finally got around to creating a MSi using WinInstall and a Silent EXE PMP sent me, seems to work great!! Thanks for all the help!! Rob
Optimus Posted May 22, 2007 Posted May 22, 2007 Hi All, Just to let you all know I've finally got around to creating a MSi using WinInstall and a Silent EXE PMP sent me, seems to work great!! Thanks for all the help!! Rob Whats this silent Exe?
RobD Posted May 23, 2007 Author Posted May 23, 2007 Its a exe that doesnt install silently, it pops up almost everytime a user logs in, we're thinking of ditching PMP!!
Oakie Posted May 24, 2007 Posted May 24, 2007 I use a free and excellent program called Purgos to install .exe and .msi files. From a list of your desktops, basically pick the computers you want to install the software on. You point to the folder that contains the .exe file on your admin machine, then enter the name of the file with a silent install switch. "setup.exe /s". Various brands of installers will use a different switch, but you can find the switches here: http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php After that, Purgos connects to the remote machines, transfers all the installation files and installs them silently. I don't suppose every program .exe file will install silently. The ones by "installshield" are nice because you can manually install them on one machine starting at the command line with an "/r" switch that records your answers to the install questions to an answer file. you simply include the answer file in the folder that contains the .exe and when you remote install it, the exe installs silently using that file. Very nice. It's gives you feedback when it works, like "installation successful". Google "Purgos". It also does remote file transfers and remote control. it's one of those programs that installs the agent on the client automatically, simplifying things a bit for you.
plexer Posted May 24, 2007 Posted May 24, 2007 Have you looked at using the web based user enquiry tool? Ben
roland Posted May 25, 2007 Posted May 25, 2007 I use a free and excellent program called Purgos to install .exe and .msi files. Wow - this sounds like my kind of installer, given all the issues I have had using MSI's and AD although to be fair many of these issues are from some of the strange educational software we are sometimes required to install. Can anyone else please let me know if they are using Purgos and how well has it worked of your enviroment? tx. Roly
contink Posted June 12, 2007 Posted June 12, 2007 I use a free and excellent program called Purgos to install .exe and .msi files. Wow - this sounds like my kind of installer, given all the issues I have had using MSI's and AD although to be fair many of these issues are from some of the strange educational software we are sometimes required to install. Can anyone else please let me know if they are using Purgos and how well has it worked of your enviroment? tx. Roly Blimey Roland... where has this little gem been. Gotta admit that the demo is well worth a look to get an idea of just how much stuff you need to get to grips with and what it can do... Certainly looks to be a great way to deploy those packages that come up after a RIS deployment so time to do some playing I reckon.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now