featured_spectre Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 Question is pretty much in the title Is it possible for games to run in Server 2008 r2? (Games such as Battlefield: BC2 or Anything that is steam based). Reason I ask is that I have set my home PC up as a server (complete with Active Directory, Exchange 2010, SCCM, SCOM - for purposes of keeping my skill set up to date) and was just wondering if it is possible.
Hightower Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 Not sure about the question/answer, but I know that I would have set up the server OS on a VM.
featured_spectre Posted July 8, 2011 Author Posted July 8, 2011 I rarely use the machine nowadays as a PC and to be blunt it is better as a server (even just if it is for file storage).
3s-gtech Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 Yup, should work. I type in dxdiag on mine and all looks fine, and that's a standard setup. Your graphics card drivers etc should be as for 7 x64.
Hightower Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 I rarely use the machine nowadays as a PC and to be blunt it is better as a server (even just if it is for file storage). Yet you want to run games on it.....
featured_spectre Posted July 8, 2011 Author Posted July 8, 2011 to see if i could...I mostly play xbox nowadays, but if there is something I wanted to play on the PC (say Red Alert or something) then it is good to know that Server 2008 R2 could do the job just fine
Arthur Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 Yes, but there are a few things which you will want to enable or disable... win2008r2workstation.com 1
m25man Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 At the end of the day it's the same core code and gamers have been running server OS for years. Things like the sound and graphics drivers all work just look at some of the latest RDP servers with dedicated GFX for remote FX The multi threading is better and the ping rates lower, if you've been having you're butt kicked lately try running your fave game on a server OS and kick back...
featured_spectre Posted July 8, 2011 Author Posted July 8, 2011 Not that I play often on the PC like I said, but on occasion that I do want too its nice to know the server OS will do the job
Guest Guest Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 I used to run a cut down server 2003 pc for gaming in the past. Check out Arthurs link and you shouldn't go far wrong - the main problem back then was when games moaned that you weren't on a supported OS, but that's easily solved.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now