CyBeRkId2002 Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 Hi all, Something I hadn't considered in our move up to Server 2008 is our backup solution. I have just found that Backup Exec 11d agent is not compatible with Server 2008. As such we are now looking for a cost effective backup solution for our 12 servers (which will all be upgraded to Server 2008 eventually)! So far our considerations are: Buy BackupExec + Agents for all the other 11 servers. - Costly but would provide the best backup solution Buy Backup Exec + a couple of Agent Licences for our more crucial servers (3x DC's, 1x Wireless Controller, SIMs, Exchange, Cashless Catering) Buy Backup Assist to install on our server and backup from network shares. I believe the main issue with this is that we are not backing up any system state info other than on the one computer it is installed on. Anyone have any advice on the above (or other alternatives)? Thanks, Mciahel
smithson83 Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 (edited) I'm in (or will be soon) the same boat, albeit on an ultimately smaller scale as I'm in a Primary School with only two servers (possibly one or two more when I get everything set up). I had considered just using Windows Backup and recover at the start at see how it managed. As far as I can see, providing you run a commandline backup and schedule the command then you can get a reasonable setup of different backup types/times. Combined with a NAS as the target, you should be able to backup all servers to this, and then back the NAS up to a removable-type drive etc to be taken off site/stored in a fireproof safe a suitable distance from the servers. I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but it seems on the face of it at least, that this would be a workable solution, and Free! (ignoring hardware requirements) Edited July 6, 2011 by smithson83
Simcfc73 Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 I would recommend M$ DPM if your on a schools agreement, really easy to use and nicely scalable. I backup Hyper-v servers, clients, exchange and SQL with it.
CyBeRkId2002 Posted July 6, 2011 Author Posted July 6, 2011 yeah... that is also something I had considered but it just seems too simple! any other thoughts?
CyBeRkId2002 Posted July 6, 2011 Author Posted July 6, 2011 I would recommend M$ DPM if your on a schools agreement, really easy to use and nicely scalable. I backup Hyper-v servers, clients, exchange and SQL with it. do you need SCCM for this? Not something we currently have or intend to purchase in the future.
smithson83 Posted July 6, 2011 Posted July 6, 2011 yeah... that is also something I had considered but it just seems too simple! any other thoughts? Simple was the approach I was going for, I like simple, somehow it seems less complicated...
CyBeRkId2002 Posted July 6, 2011 Author Posted July 6, 2011 the more I look at it, the better this solution seems... it isn't centralised but I am wondering if I can get some kind of logging setup which chucks out into a central place just so I know they have run successfully etc. It seems to me that unless you pay for the AOFO/SQL/Exchange options that this is all Backup Exec etc. are doing anyway!
smithson83 Posted July 7, 2011 Posted July 7, 2011 (edited) the more I look at it, the better this solution seems... it isn't centralised but I am wondering if I can get some kind of logging setup which chucks out into a central place just so I know they have run successfully etc. It seems to me that unless you pay for the AOFO/SQL/Exchange options that this is all Backup Exec etc. are doing anyway! Since to get the flexibility of specific days/times/source/targets, you have to run them as scheduled commands, you could add a line in the .cmd / .bat you schedule to output details to a log file eg \\NAS-01\Logs\Server1Backuplog.txt and just append to it. or something similar/more complex like add to a php/mysql db etc. I'm sure you should be able to run a check for a 0 output to run a sucess code, else run a failed code(will have to look into that). EDIT: looking at; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015(WS.10).aspx You could run the “Wbadmin get items” cmd with some subcommands like get items etc to match what should be the name of the backup just run: REM RUN BACKUP TO SELECTED TARGET REM ----------------------------- wbadmin start backup -include:e:,d: -backupTarget:F:\ –systemstate -vsscopy REM OUTPUT VERSION DATA TO BACKUP LOG STORAGE REM ----------------------------------------- wbadmin get items -version:< MM/DD/YYYY-HH:MM > -backupTarget:\\NAS-01\BACKUPS\SERVER1\ -machine:SERVER1 > \\NAS-01\Logs\Server1Backuplog.txt -a Edited July 7, 2011 by smithson83
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now