MaceZ4 Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 "The Powers that Be" have asked Admin to see if they can make things into flash based magazines and in turn Admin have come to us... I've had a look through a few different options but they're either pay to use, too complicated for the Admin staff to use or free and limited to two pages max... I was just wondering if anyone out there has used or is using something similar? They'll be converting mainly PDFs to the flash magazines... Hope that makes sense...
dhicks Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 "The Powers that Be" have asked Admin to see if they can make things into flash based magazines Why - what is it they're trying to do? There was a print-to-Flash driver: FlashPaper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Which outputted a self-contained SWF file you could scroll through. I think the idea is that that has now been replaced by the export-to-Flash options in Adobe PageMaker and InDesign. However, I think both those options have been superseeded by export-to-something-compatible-with-the-iPad options in both those applications.
Steve21 Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 If it's just cheap, cheerful and easy. CodeBox : Free PDF to Flash Page Flip converter I've played around with before (Not the best flip over but meh) Steve 1
SneakyBeaky Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 If you are going down the 'paid for' route then I would recommend this one: Page flip ebook creator_make flipping book from pdf, powerpoint, image and more. [FlipBuilder.com] I use it a lot for publishing books on line and on CDs The free online one will convert up to 20 pages.
LosOjos Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 Are you sure that the powers that be know what they're talking about? No offence to any of them intended, but quite often "non-techs" ask for specific things because they've heard a buzzword, when in fact there may be a much better way of doing things... What is it they want to achieve?
frankec2000 Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 how about issuu.com seems easy to use we use it on our website why not have a browse?
MaceZ4 Posted May 23, 2011 Author Posted May 23, 2011 If it's just cheap, cheerful and easy. CodeBox : Free PDF to Flash Page Flip converter I've played around with before (Not the best flip over but meh) Steve Just had a quick play and that will do...!
TechMonkey Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 I would go back to them go back to the powers that be and ask what they want to achieve. If they want just want it to look whizzy for no reason then throw the old "Apple devices won't be able to read it, do you really want to exclude them?" argument. Then suggest something that would work. I can't see any reason to export to a flash magazine except to look flash, & you can get better functionality from better systems.
Steve21 Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 I can't see any reason to export to a flash magazine except to look flash, & you can get better functionality from better systems. Well yeah, but from the OP. If it's really for free, and for "admin use" aka not techies, nothing really wrong with a quick flash book. But hey, each to their own Steve
TechMonkey Posted May 23, 2011 Posted May 23, 2011 Well yeah, but from the OP. If it's really for free, and for "admin use" aka not techies, nothing really wrong with a quick flash book. But hey, each to their own Steve I got the feeling the admins (office staff) had been asked to magic one up. Purely my assumptions but I see an SMT having seen one at someone else's site or from a supplier & thinking it is the second coming, this in turn conjures ideas of flash books for staff use, distribution on VLE, maybe make it to the website. ... Or their kid needs to generate one for their school/Uni project
bushby Posted May 24, 2011 Posted May 24, 2011 guys you have got the situation correct this is persisly the situaltion we have got
Arthur Posted May 24, 2011 Posted May 24, 2011 They'll be converting mainly PDFs to the flash magazines... Are the magazines going to be web-based? If so, you could keep them as PDFs and use FlexPaper or Do-PDF.
MaceZ4 Posted May 25, 2011 Author Posted May 25, 2011 I've shown the office staff a few of the sites listed here (thanks for all the suggestions guys!) and the only thing they've asked is are the original documents that are submitted to be converted stored anywhere on the server? Data protection, child safety, etc...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now