PrimaryTech Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 Hi all, Our APC SmartUPS 1000 failed during a lightning storm yesterday, causing both servers attached to power down. I'm a little confused as the LED's on the front say that the battery is fully charged, only has 2/5ths of full load used and the replace battery LED is not lit? Do I need a new battery for the unit? If so, does anyone know where I can get one cheap or recommend an alternative UPS (My budget is tight, around £100)?
plexer Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 I've had it on a 700 unit that it says everything is ok but only could sustain the load for a very short time. Ben
Ric_ Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 Obvious thing to do is test the unit by pulling the power... of course that is a little dangerous in itself. Also check the UPS logs. It could have been a big surge/spike caused by the lightening which caused the UPS to shut stuff down rather than a loss of power.
pete Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 Did you get struck? If you did, all bets are off - the EMP alone can mess things up. How old is the UPS battery? And if it's a networked UPS, check the switchport works.
ifallon Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 If you just need a battery for it I've just had a new one delivered for £110.
plexer Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 APC BackUPS+SmartUPS 1000 Battery (RBC6) - dabs.com £97 from dabs RBC7, battery replacements, APC, Batteries, RBC7, UPS £67 Ben
chazzy2501 Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 I've seen this before, the batteries are faulty but appear fully charged. They just can't handle any kind of current. if you press the powerbutton momentaraly (NOT NOW!) it will do a self test but you'll need to provide a load to draw power from the unit. (I'd suggest not the servers try a hoover or something) Anyhow I found a website (I have used them, looking for it) that will let you purchase the batteries for your APC unit and you can recycle the powerpack parts (Fuse, connectors) it worked out 1/3rd the price for my 2200 units!
chazzy2501 Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 OK, it's the same website that "plexer" suggested. I've used them, the batteries work great. I don't know your exact model but I'm sure you can find it on their website. Heres a link to the 1000 smart ups rackmount. VPS
m25man Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 How big are your servers? An APC 1000 is not really what I would consider to be a multi Server Grade UPS, dependent on load you will be lucky to see more than a few minutes and depending on what services they are running (Exchange/SQL) you may never have enough time for them to shutdown gracefully...
Butuz Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Agree with m25 man. It could simply be that the UPS is not big enough for your two servers. Thus when you lose power the battery drains in less than 5 minutes and your servers go off! If you can tell us what actual servers you have we can help more. Cheers Butuz
chazzy2501 Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Agree with m25 man. It could simply be that the UPS is not big enough for your two servers. Thus when you lose power the battery drains in less than 5 minutes and your servers go off! If you can tell us what actual servers you have we can help more. Cheers Butuz Thinking about it, I also agree, I have 2 servers, 4 switches and a san on 2 x 2200 and that gets me 6~7 minutes..just enough time for a graceful shutdown. (Shutdown starts after 30seconds of no power)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now