techie08 Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 If i install .net framework 4, do i really need all the previous versions? Im not sure its backward compatible for applications that need earlier versions, ie: 2, 3, 3.5 etc. Many Thanks
Jawloms Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 As far as I am aware it's not a case of backward compatibility, they are effectively different things. That's why when you install a new one, the older ones don't disappear.
tarquel Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 Correct.... a newer version doesnt replace a previous version so you will indeed require the older versions (think most apps using .net framework are probably still using .net 2.0 or 3.x).
Arthur Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 Windows 7 already includes v3.5 SP1, v3.0 SP2 and v2.0 SP2, so you would only need to install v4.0. I would ignore v1.0 & v1.1 unless you have applications which specifically need it. http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/pmarcu/WindowsLiveWriter/WhichVersionof.NETisBuiltintoWindows_D74B/image_2.png 1
bizzel Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I'm interested to know what the current baseline seems to be. All of the applications I'm actively developing target .NET 3.5 or lower, simply because they'll work on Windows 7 without any extra dependencies. Has anyone actively deployed v4.0 yet?
SYNACK Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 Yes I pushed it out to support Expresion Encoder at the schools.
jamesb Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I'm interested to know what the current baseline seems to be. All of the applications I'm actively developing target .NET 3.5 or lower, simply because they'll work on Windows 7 without any extra dependencies. Has anyone actively deployed v4.0 yet? Yep, I'm developing with it at the moment for one of our systems.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now