tosca925 Posted April 18, 2007 Posted April 18, 2007 I used MaSaI editor. I didn't repackage it, i just added the files it said in the guide, then added the ini file. First of all I'd like to thank eean for pointing this software out. Now, I tried to repackage using Discoz from the 2000 disc which i have used many times but with no luck. I then downloaded the MaSai editor and i did repackage it with this. I first tried to deploy the new package through GPO but when i tried to run the newly deployed application it failed with a no licence error. I then went to edit the new package and realised it did not contain the exapmpro.ini file which it must have failed to pick up in the snapshot. I then manually added the ini file to the msi and repackaged using MaSai editor. I am pleased to say i now have a full working, fully deploy-able msi for Testbase KS3 Maths @eean Did you purchase the software or do you just use the limited version?
Guest frankybaloney Posted April 19, 2007 Posted April 19, 2007 I have installed this successfully - Though I did have a headache before Need a hand - give me a shout... I have also got a ActiveX msi for Flash Player 7 if anyone wants it.
tosca925 Posted April 23, 2007 Posted April 23, 2007 I tried to repackage KS3 Science today and have had no luck. I used MaSai editor again which i used to succesfully package KS3 Maths but Science just wont work. Any suggestions?
Midget Posted April 24, 2007 Posted April 24, 2007 Wierd, I stuck the network install on the server and created a bat file to copy over the ini file during startup, stuck a shortcut to the UNC location and it just worked.
contink Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 Right... Took me a bit of working out to realise where the repacking was being done so I've done a quick paraphrase or summary. 1. Get the network instructions for testbase in the PDF folder on the disk 2. Follow steps 1. and 2. in those instructions. 3. Now repack the Button_B.exe process Having looked at the VBS script they've provided I have to wonder what they've been smoking to think that anyone would be seriously out of their tree enough to put an administrator login in there and just leave it in the netlogon for all to read. Hello!
Michael Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 ahh good old Testbase... this is another company that have never heard of MSIs. Each year when a new version arrives, there aren't words to describe what I think of this software! I always install the software locally, then I copy the exampro32.ini file to every machine in the root of C:\Windows It's then just a case of clicking Next > Next > Next > as all license information is pre-populated. Someone should drop them a link to this 1
contink Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 (edited) ahh good old Testbase... this is another company that have never heard of MSIs. You imply they actually have ears with which to hear anything... I was sure they had protrusions that looked like hands. Weird too how you get that "Lalalalalalalalalala I'm not listening" on loop too... Each year when a new version arrives, there aren't words to describe what I think of this software! I always install the software locally, then I copy the exampro32.ini file to every machine in the root of C:\Windows It's then just a case of clicking Next > Next > Next > as all license information is pre-populated. Oh there are words but they'd result in a short but rather nasty telling off from the Pope if you used them As to the exampro32.ini suggestion... Inspired... I'll use that to send the file to all the staff laptops so that they can install it locally and it'll just work mysteriously.. I could notch up yet more "amazing powers" Someone should drop them a link to this ... to quote Douglas Adams... Wrapped around a large gold brick! Edited July 1, 2008 by contink typo
contink Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 (edited) For simplicity here's a quick script I've knocked up to do what Michael suggested... ' This script deploys the testbase serial data to (presumably) ' staff laptops or other PC's that need to do a standalone install ' of TestBase. ' ' It pre-populates the installation information so that the staff ' member installing the software can simply click Next for each ' Setup stage and not enter any additional information. Simple! ' ** IMPORTANT ** ' Run as a startup script for Computers, not as a logon script ' Otherwise it won't install for anyone other than administrators ' or Power Users ' Path to your Source folder (where the exampro32.ini file is) strSourceRoot = "\\server\Apps\Testbase32\Workstation\" strSourceFile = "exampro32.ini" Dim objFSO, file, strTargetPath Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' Location where the desktop is... strTargetPath = "C:\Windows\" file = strSourceRoot & strSourceFile objFSO.copyFile file, strTargetPath, True works perfectly Edited July 1, 2008 by contink
Michael Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 You could use an xcopy command too. The exampro32.ini is small enough, so you could easy copy it into the Netlogon share on your server. xcopy "\\servername\netlogon\exampro32.ini" "c:\windows\" /y
Sylv3r Posted July 1, 2008 Posted July 1, 2008 You could use an xcopy command too. The exampro32.ini is small enough, so you could easy copy it into the Netlogon share on your server. xcopy "\\servername\netlogon\exampro32.ini" "c:\windows\" /y This is how I do it here. Works well.
sidewinder Posted July 2, 2008 Posted July 2, 2008 (edited) This is all I use in a script \\server\apps$\testbase\Workstation\activex.exe /silent copy \\server\apps$\testbase\Workstation\exampro32.ini C:\Windows activex.exe is just the button b.exe or whatever it is that ive renamed I find it funny that theres such a big thread on this. If I had to rank software by how much trouble it gave me, Testbase would be near the bottom, very simple. Even if a teacher wants it on a PC that doesnt have the GPO assigned to it, they just click a shortcut to the install script in their start menu Then just put shortcuts in their start menu to all the different Testbase products on the server - testbase, exampro, examwizard for maths and science Never had a request to install it on a standalone laptop but if I did I'd just amend the script to copy the data files down too and some amended shortcuts Edited July 2, 2008 by sidewinder
farmerste Posted July 2, 2008 Posted July 2, 2008 something else i have noticed about this program, is that if you have other programs using visual basic, in my case 'cars-maths in motion' this program it all up. just another example of a 'software' company who always knows best:mad: just give everyone a copy of the product keys you get sent each year, and you can either let them download the modules, or put them on a cd for the teachers to borrow. this program is bad
contink Posted July 2, 2008 Posted July 2, 2008 Erm... folks... I didn't realise we were into a round of I can make my script smaller than yours.. It's like penile envy but in reverse.. I mean, I was only try to help officer and then out he whips it and says... "look you can barely see it".. He was right... but... Oh dear... but {deity} yes, Testbase makes my sense of humour look good, brilliant even, better than funny mc funny man on a funny day... Oh how I hate it so.. which is of course why teachers profess to love it...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now