detjo Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 I have Home folders mapped to (for example) \\Srv1\Docs\Students\%username% but there is an issue where the Home folder does not map when a user logs in to a computer for the first time. If they log out (immediately or not) and back in again it maps fine. This happens to both staff and students and it's a PITA coz they have to do this to every 'new' PC they log in to.
mtdmitchell Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 (edited) I have Home folders mapped to (for example) \\Srv1\Docs\Students\%username% but there is an issue where the Home folder does not map when a user logs in to a computer for the first time. If they log out (immediately or not) and back in again it maps fine. This happens to both staff and students and it's a PITA coz they have to do this to every 'new' PC they log in to. have you set " user must change password at next log on" Edited November 11, 2010 by mtdmitchell
detjo Posted November 11, 2010 Author Posted November 11, 2010 I havent. Am i missing something .. how does that have any bearing on the home folder mapping?
mtdmitchell Posted November 11, 2010 Posted November 11, 2010 I havent. Am i missing something .. how does that have any bearing on the home folder mapping? I have found that sometimes when creating a new user, on first log on with the change password option ticked they do not actually get any home directory mapped or shared areas.
Busybub Posted November 15, 2010 Posted November 15, 2010 Sounds like you have fast logon enabled, so other settings are still applying in the background once your users first get on. Set your workstations: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon (enabled) 2
qcomer Posted November 15, 2010 Posted November 15, 2010 Also, I have found that the built in group policy redirection settings suck. I use a custom admin template that gives you access to all of the user shell folders, see the attachment. If you would like this admin template, let me know. I have a few others also. 2
detjo Posted February 11, 2011 Author Posted February 11, 2011 Finally!! got this sorted .. I tried both "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and "Run logon scripts synchronously" but no joy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]8579[/ATTACH]Also, I have found that the built in group policy redirection settings suck. I use a custom admin template that gives you access to all of the user shell folders, see the attachment. If you would like this admin template, let me know. I have a few others also. So i used the custom adm template mentioned above by qcomer, and it did the trick. qcomer .. I owe you! Thanks so much
themightymrp Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Any chance you could provide me with that template? It sounds like something I could definitely use
qcomer Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 How about I just upload it to this thread - would that be best? I am glad people are FINALLY responding to my post lol. Its great, I like it a lot better than the built in one. Keep in mind it is mainly built for XP. I can try to find or make another one for windows 7. The template is based off some registry changes to the user's shell folder locations. Very simple.
qcomer Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Finally!! got this sorted .. I tried both "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" and "Run logon scripts synchronously" but no joy. So i used the custom adm template mentioned above by qcomer, and it did the trick. qcomer .. I owe you! Thanks so much That is what we are here for, right? I feel a little outnumbered at times here because I'm from the US and it seems a lot of our challenges are quite different (staffing, policies, etc) but the tech issues are all the same. Anything I can do to help Us IT folks gotta stick together hah.
qcomer Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Here ya go! Let me know if you need any help. Another very useful part of this is you can redirect the user's browser history. I am not sure what positions you guys have across the ponds but in our districts we have career counselors and guidance counselors. You can redirect the history folder to a share (\\server\studenthistory\%username%) and give your counselors, principals, etc. access to the share so that way if something comes up they can access it.HKCUUserShellFolders.rar 1
Stefletch Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Hi qcomer, Does this adm file work on Server 2003 with XP clients. I'm looking at ways to redirect users favorites to their home directories, and thought this was only possible with Server 2008? Thanks, Stephen
qcomer Posted February 11, 2011 Posted February 11, 2011 Hi qcomer, Does this adm file work on Server 2003 with XP clients. I'm looking at ways to redirect users favorites to their home directories, and thought this was only possible with Server 2008? Thanks, Stephen Here are the options in the admin template. Yes it can be used on server 2000-2008 for XP clients. Setting State AppData Folder Temporary Internet Files Folder (Cache) Cookies Folder Desktop Folder Favorites Folder History Folder Local AppData Folder Local Settings Folder My Pictures Folder My Music Folder My Videos Folder NetHood Folder My Documents Folder (Personal) PrintHood Folder Programs Folder Recent Folder SendTo Folder Start Menu Folder Startup Folder Templates Folder 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now