Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

We have an old server which is a DC which we want to retire and replace. I decided best practice before demotion was to turn it off for a week and see if having it off causes any problems. It didn't until yesterday when we needed to create a new user account in AD. Failed because the global catalog could not be contacted as the server was not operational.

 

I have since discovered that this server holds the role of storing the global catalog. Googled it and it looks pretty straight forward to move but there are very mixed opinions on whether it is actually required in a single domain, single forest environment.

 

Global Catalog Server...did you know!!! - Bink.nu

 

My question is, do we actually need it and am I likely to get any problems moving it (I play to move it to the server that holds all FSMO roles)

 

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance that can be offered.

 

Gary

Posted (edited)
You will require global catalog look at this for any help regarding fsmo roles and global catalog. this is a link to seizing fsmo roles but down at the bottom of the page is how to test global catalog and you can transfer it using the same method by ticking the box on the server you require it on. Edited by krisd32
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks for the info...to be honest, I didn't even know about the global catalog role? I know about the FSMO roles and remember gritting my teeth moving them from this very server.

 

What other non obvious roles could be running on this server and how do I check?

Posted
Dhcp and dns. is it the only server you have in school? make sure everthing has replicated properly to the new dc which could take a day or so. take a look at this thread for some more info.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

That's a good post....it's just the catalog role I missed. We have 2 other DC's and have purchased a new server which will also be a DC.

 

I'll add the catalog server role to the server which doesn't hold the FSMO roles next week then try removing this role from the server we want to retire. If all goes well, we can demote and job done!

 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...