Hightower Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 I'm in the process of designing a new web site. This will most likely be written in PHP/HTML/Java, using MySQL as a data store. Once the website is completed, I want to transfer the site to a droid app (among other things) and it seems the only (from what I can see) way to do this is by making a REST-ful site. I don't want to create the site until I know exactly what I need. I understand the REST concept (I think), but I can't see any tutorials on how to create a REST-ful site in PHP etc etc Can anybody help me out, or perhaps suggest another way to allow droid apps to retrieve data from a MySQL database?
webman Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 Nice presentation I saw a while ago on web services: PHP And Web Services: Perfect Partners PHP MVC frameworks may have libraries that support REST. For example, CodeIgniter (my favourite) has a nice community REST library: philsturgeon's codeigniter-restserver at master - GitHub
Hightower Posted September 14, 2010 Author Posted September 14, 2010 Nice presentation I saw a while ago on web services: PHP And Web Services: Perfect Partners PHP MVC frameworks may have libraries that support REST. For example, CodeIgniter (my favourite) has a nice community REST library: philsturgeon's codeigniter-restserver at master - GitHub Thanks - CI is the framework I've become most used to too, but I was hoping to avoid a framework for this project. Have you completed anything in a REST-ful sort of way webman?
webman Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 Not yet, but it's something I might be looking at in the near future for a project. Out of interest, why avoid using a framework?
Hightower Posted September 14, 2010 Author Posted September 14, 2010 Out of interest, why avoid using a framework? I'm not too sure to be honest. I guess it's just for the learning curve, and I would feel better having written the whole thing myself (for the sake of learning).
Marci Posted September 14, 2010 Posted September 14, 2010 The (rather useful) basics - Towards RESTful PHP - 5 Basic Tips | Kris Jordan and a basic interface class - PHP REST SQL: A HTTP REST interface to MySQL written in PHP (ie: download, install, tear apart to work out how it works)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now