Kevin_Beaumont Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Roll up, roll up! I've got a challenge. You can optionally choose to compress pictures when saving in Office 2003 apps. This is automated in Office 2007. From what I can see, it is not possible to enable compression by default through group policy, or registry hacking. (If anybody knows different, please tell me!). So, I had another idea - write a macro or find a program which can go through a directory of files, open each, and save them back with compression enabled. But... I'm wondering if anybody has tried anything similar, basically, before I dive in.
TechMonkey Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 If you manage it I would be very interested!
box_l Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 I was just about to ask the very same question! As cameras have got better and jpeg sizes have incresased i normally reduce the picture quality on new cameras to help prevent this. I also compress all pictures i find on the server. However i have found a couple of folders that contain over 100 word docs each, that are all at least 40 Mb in size. I really nee to find a way to fix this without having to resort to, (for me or the teacher concerned), opening and compressing eacha nd every one of these word files. Has any one any tool for this. i found this Overview - Batch Word Shrink Compactor - Word Doc Compact, Word Doc Compress Shrinker. - Batchwork Software but it does not seem to do the images inside, just the doc format. BoX
pete Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/38827-gpo-reg-entry-batch-converter-force-image-compression-powerpoint.html Specifically: Bulk Convert Old Documents to the new Office 2007 Format Install and configure OMPM File Scanner This assumes you don't mind them being in 2007 format.
box_l Posted February 2, 2010 Posted February 2, 2010 thanks for the suggestions, but none of the above really fit the bill, unless i have missed something! I know that convertng them to docx would give the feature of having compression preset. But there does not seem to be part of the conversion that does the compression. I would still need to reopen all of them to compress. BoX
elsiegee40 Posted February 2, 2010 Posted February 2, 2010 Another vote for this... a marketable tool if someone can come up with a way fo doing it !
box_l Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 I found this Office compression PowerPoint, Word & Excel: compress optimize & shrink presentations, documents & office files testing now. looks good though. BoX
elsiegee40 Posted February 3, 2010 Posted February 3, 2010 I found this Office compression PowerPoint, Word & Excel: compress optimize & shrink presentations, documents & office files testing now. looks good though. BoX Let us know how you get on. I'll be using this if it works. I've promoted myself to my school's bar-steward of the year today. Last week I (under instruction from the SMT) implemented even more draconian print management measures. Today I announced that staff have until next Tuesday to remove their photos to shared storage or I will delete them without backing up first. (They don't know I have Volume Shadow Copy or understand the normal school backups) I'm really quite enjoying myself!
box_l Posted February 4, 2010 Posted February 4, 2010 Just tried the desktop version on strong compression. see attached for info. server version seems a bit costly though! £ 1,199.00 !!!???? Better to copy to a workstation or mapped drive and use the desktop edition £ 24.95 docs are visually 50% pics, 50% text and still look good. Hope this helps Box
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now