mjs_mjs Posted January 21, 2010 Posted January 21, 2010 Hi, i'm looking into running a TS with clients accessing via rdp from thinstation, my starting question is, how do i make a server into a CC4 managed server? i basically want to manage the server from RMMC like a workstation. second question: can i change the theme of the server so it looks like XP?
Sylv3r Posted January 21, 2010 Posted January 21, 2010 If you haven't already seen it take a look at CC4 Anywhere - its not cheap but does what your after. CC4 Anywhere
mjs_mjs Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 If you haven't already seen it take a look at CC4 Anywhere - its not cheap but does what your after. CC4 Anywhere I'm looking for somthing different to CC4 anywhere. ie i dont want it. I've seen it and didn't like it.
binky Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 Hi, i'm looking into running a TS with clients accessing via rdp from thinstation, my starting question is, how do i make a server into a CC4 managed server? i basically want to manage the server from RMMC like a workstation. second question: can i change the theme of the server so it looks like XP? You should be able to just use the smartclient procedure (don't forget to install all the .NETs) and then enable the themes service and start it and then you will be able to select the Windows XP theme is desktop properties.
Edu-IT Posted January 22, 2010 Posted January 22, 2010 You should be able to just use the smartclient procedure (don't forget to install all the .NETs) and then enable the themes service and start it and then you will be able to select the Windows XP theme is desktop properties. Do you have the relevant licencing in place for this? I believe to manage it from the RMMC you'll need a CC4 TS licence.
mjs_mjs Posted January 22, 2010 Author Posted January 22, 2010 Do you have the relevant licencing in place for this? I believe to manage it from the RMMC you'll need a CC4 TS licence. Not yet - Still looking at issues around it. I may just drop the management then, go vanilla.
mjs_mjs Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Right I'm starting this today - already have a test server on build. For 8 machines it would cost me over £1000 in CC4 licensing so I think we'll be heading vanilla.
ianohr Posted January 26, 2010 Posted January 26, 2010 We have 9 CC4 terminal servers, all licenced. The only advantage is package assignment. The disadvantage is that RM don't provide any disaster recovery for Terminal Servers, i.e. you can't just shove a build CD into it. And of course you can't image it as restoring from an image is not supported by a CC4 workstation, which is essentially what a CC4 TS is. If you are going to have just one TS, then I would stay native. RM Service Host will only slow the TS down, and quite a bit I might add, just as it does on a desktop PC.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now